1970 Plymouth Sport Fury V10 Swap Build Thread

MONC440

Reaction score
I wanted to see if you guys would be interested on how I plan to shoehorn a V10 ram engine into my next project.

Car Factory Data
2 Door Hard Top, F8 Green, White Top, 383 2brl, Bucket Seats, hi option car with power everything. It isn't a S23 or GT car so I don't feel to bad about swapping in the V10.

I bought the car in 2017 as project, most of the car was intact but someone had stripped the intake heads and manifolds off the engine years ago. The last time the car was driven was the early 90’s and had sit outside for many years after. Surprisingly the body is in good shape with some rust in the rear quarters and lower front fenders, the floor pans have some small amount of rust but the trunk floor suffered a lot of rust. The good part is the car hasn’t been restored before so it isn’t filled with bondo.

I have always wanted to do a V10 swap and I think a C body will be a great car to do it as it has lots of room. I’m going to start with a stock Dodge Ram V10 and OD trans to get all the bugs worked out, do all the mechanicals and bodywork hopefully done this summer then over the winter swap the stock engine out with a V10 I’m rebuilding with a Viper top end or a supercharge if I can fit it under the hood. Nothing to radical going to target around 500HP and 600TQ. I want to run a 3:73 or 3:91 rear gear, with the OD trans it will cruise like a car with 3:23’s. I would like to be able to pull a 12 second ¼ and have a top speed of 150+ in the flying mile.

So far, I have the interior pulled out, the old engine and trans pulled out and the V10 mock up block and OD trans sitting in place. My next step is to fabricate engine and trans mounts.

If you guys are interested, I will start posting pics of the progress.

Thanks

I wanted to see if you guys would be interested on how I plan to shoehorn a V10 ram engine into my next project.

Car Factory Data
2 Door Hard Top, F8 Green, White Top, 383 2brl, Bucket Seats, hi option car with power everything. It isn't a S23 or GT car so I don't feel to bad about swapping in the V10.

I bought the car in 2017 as project, most of the car was intact but someone had stripped the intake heads and manifolds off the engine years ago. The last time the car was driven was the early 90’s and had sit outside for many years after. Surprisingly the body is in good shape with some rust in the rear quarters and lower front fenders, the floor pans have some small amount of rust but the trunk floor suffered a lot of rust. The good part is the car hasn’t been restored before so it isn’t filled with bondo.

I have always wanted to do a V10 swap and I think a C body will be a great car to do it as it has lots of room. I’m going to start with a stock Dodge Ram V10 and OD trans to get all the bugs worked out, do all the mechanicals and bodywork hopefully done this summer then over the winter swap the stock engine out with a V10 I’m rebuilding with a Viper top end or a supercharge if I can fit it under the hood. Nothing to radical going to target around 500HP and 600TQ. I want to run a 3:73 or 3:91 rear gear, with the OD trans it will cruise like a car with 3:23’s. I would like to be able to pull a 12 second ¼ and have a top speed of 150+ in the flying mile.

So far, I have the interior pulled out, the old engine and trans pulled out and the V10 mock up block and OD trans sitting in place. My next step is to fabricate engine and trans mounts.

If you guys are interested, I will start posting pics of the progress.

Thanks

I say post your pics regardless of who says they're interested or not. It's funny how the more pics members post in regards to their projects--the more people view and enjoy them. Not to mention it'll help break up the monotony and doldrums of having to read about whether or not someone thinks their electrical problem lies squarely on the shoulders of their ballast resistor.

Myself I would try to stuff a Nash Metropolitan engine into the thing. The drawback would be you could not drive on the interstate BUT lookie here at the benefit:

Motor Trend praised the car's economy: their test Metropolitan returned:
39.4 mpg‑US (5.97 L/100 km; 47.3 mpg‑imp) at 45 mph (72 km/h)

45 MPH might be the top speed for the thing unless you are going down a steep road!

Can't wait to see your final engine mod!

Myself I would try to stuff a Nash Metropolitan engine into the thing. The drawback would be you could not drive on the interstate BUT lookie here at the benefit:

Motor Trend praised the car's economy: their test Metropolitan returned:
39.4 mpg‑US (5.97 L/100 km; 47.3 mpg‑imp) at 45 mph (72 km/h)

45 MPH might be the top speed for the thing unless you are going down a steep road!

Can't wait to see your final engine mod!

I usually despise engine swaps... however, this swap sounds off-the-beaten path and interesting. Look forward to seeing pics.

Screenshot_20210408-194123~2.png

Pulled out what was left of the 383 and dropped in the mock up block and od trans. I tried to get it set in place so I could start making motor mounts.

0CE1E6BF-52FE-484B-81FA-8EA91C669763.jpeg

8756449E-B5BB-494D-B1F7-F1A9A2CF0E55.jpeg

Before making the mounts I wanted to see what kind of clearance I had between the front pulleys and radiator so I dropped on the heads, intake, front cover and water pump.

22E96AD6-54A9-41C5-8928-C3FC5584372F.jpeg

01CCBD0A-B840-4F19-BDD3-CFD3E7E2BDAF.jpeg

BE5FD03E-E328-4213-AD2B-609963BD853C.jpeg

Glad I checked because I need to move it back about another inch.

FCD637E7-BE2C-4BA2-A518-ADDE0AF95EE2.jpeg

As the V-10 has some roots in LA architecture, how are the side mounts in comparison to the B/RB or LA engines' mounting lugs? Might LA items fit the front of a V-10 block?

Just curious,
CBODY67

(And what about suspension and brake upgrades?)

Ben thinking about upgraded brakes and suspension but have not looked into what is available for c bodies yet. It already has front disc brakes. Anybody have any suggestions?

Back