SOLD 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.

70Tom

Reaction score
Contact seller
Well, it hurts me to post this, but it's looking like I'm going to have to sell my beloved 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury. I'm about to buy a house and the mortgage company is requiring me to pay down some debt, so it's either house or car (hmm, I toyed with living in the car....)

In any event, I purchased this in Montana a few years ago and then after driving it for a couple months, did a complete tear down and started a restoration. It's an original 383-2 car, but has a strong 1969 440 in it right now. Engine has not been rebuilt, but runs great. Has a new Edelbrock carb on it.

It's probably just easier for me to list all that I did or had done to the car:
  • Transmission complete rebuild
  • total rebuild of front suspension and steering components
  • wiper motor rebuilt and restored
  • fender wells removed, blasted, and powder coated
  • front and rear windows removed, any rust holes were cut out with new patches welded in.
  • removed partial driver's side quarter panel that was crushed in and replaced (more on this later)
  • a couple small holes at bottom of fenders cut out and new metal welded in.
  • paint completely stripped off car down to bare metal. New primer and correct Poly Teal Metallic PPG paint. Base/clear coat.
  • interior completely gutted
  • replaced headliner with correct headliner material from SMS
  • Correct vinyl purchased from SMS; seat covers made to correct pattern and specs (my seat guy had enough hours in it to charge me $7K due to all the correct inserts and pleats)
  • Brand new dash pad purchased from Bob
  • New arm rest bezels purchased from Bob
  • New window felts
  • Restored and modernized original radio. Now has aux jack to play an iPhone or whatnot.
  • New front and rear speakers
  • New carpet. Dynamat and liner used throughout
  • New heater core and rebuilt heater box
  • New glovebox
  • New tires
  • Molding polished and new 3M inserts installed
  • New rear shocks
  • New gas tank
  • New A/C compressor, dryer and hoses (updated modern compressor; also have the original compressor)
  • New a/c - heater blower motor
  • Electrical gremlins fixed by a shop with good credentials
  • Brake hoses replaced
  • New vinyl top with correct material and seams from SMS
  • Restored seatbelts from Tom Korinek here on the forum.
  • Complete new accurate exhaust system with mufflers used on cars with a Hemi in 70. Sounds great. I can email you a video if you want to hear it.
  • Front and rear bumpers dents taken out and rechromed
I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. But I have all the receipts. I also have the lower rocker molding, which isn't on the car at the moment.

Now for the bad:
  • At the moment, I have not yet installed the A/C equipment (aside from the in-dash vents).
  • The trunk floor still needs replacement. Again, due to my laziness, I haven't gotten around to it. I have a good replacement trunk floor that will come with the car.
  • That damn quarter panel. Basically, I think this comes down to my skills. I think what I have there can be fixed, but I had filler failure. There was way too much on there for my liking. Either air got behind the filler or because the panel is so long, the vibration on it just cracked it (most likely the former.) If I had any ability to use heat to pull some of the panel back out, I doubt I'd have the issue. In any event, it needs to be repaired. I have more than enough paint for it to be repainted. Just need to get a good body man to fix either what is there or find a replacement panel (which I was unable to do). I can get pictures of what's happening now. I just don't have any on my phone and I need to get this car sold asap.
So that's about it. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Why I'm taking a huge loss on this, I'm asking what I need for the car, and also realizing there's a few things that need taken care of. Car runs really strong (took it on a trip from Phoenix to LA and back with no problems at all).

$18,000.00, with buyer to either pick up or arrange for shipping.

I can easily drop the car off wherever you may need for shipping purposes. I'd also be willing to drive it out to LA if you're in that area.

IMG_7972.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7873.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

Last edited:
Really stunning in that color . . . good luck to you . . . really hope you can find a way to keep it.

I don't own a house. I live in an appartment.
But I have a few cars.......

Who needs own a house vs an old Mopar?

Carsten

35 years ago I was told " you need to save your money and find a place to live, get away from the old cars".
My reply was shot from the hip as I quipped
" You can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house".

I saw those very words at the Chrysler nationals at Carlisle event, on a T shirt this past year.

I was a leader and ahead of my time even then :BangHead:.

I found myself once I found my house. I've been here 23 years and no place has ever felt like home like this place.

Good luck with your house purchase ....:thumbsup:

Funny Stealership story....we sell a new car to buyer 'X' at 0% and build in cash back of $10000 to pay off high interest loans all the time. This way the buyer can afford the new car payment. In the case of reducing Debt Service Ratio's we then send Buyer 'X' into his Mortgagor with the "Proof" of reduced high interest debt or with his new found "Deposit" to put on the house before his new auto loan hits his credit bureau. The zero interest car loans are becoming a source of re-finance funds more and more.....just sayin :poke:

Funny Stealership story....we sell a new car to buyer 'X' at 0% and build in cash back of $10000 to pay off high interest loans all the time. This way the buyer can afford the new car payment. In the case of reducing Debt Service Ratio's we then send Buyer 'X' into his Mortgagor with the "Proof" of reduced high interest debt or with his new found "Deposit" to put on the house before his new auto loan hits his credit bureau. The zero interest car loans are becoming a source of re-finance funds more and more.....just sayin :poke:
That's some creative financing.

Creative is one way to describe it. It's a great way to ensure you'll have debt for life.

Take credit-card debt, roll it into a car loan - you're way upside down from Day 1 (on an item that depreciates anyway) so they'll convince you to carry gap insurance. And people that would do this really should have that gap insurance, because bad luck often goes hand-in-hand with bad decisions. Then on the next car you buy you'll be rolling car #1's debt into it, and probably feeling great about the shrewdness if you can get another creative financing deal.

It's in the same pew as rolling that debt into a home loan, that way you can pay 30 years of interest on it. People do that and get so excited that they can do that at 4% vs 18%, without realizing how much they'll pay overall. They might even follow that up with 'the interest is tax deductible'!

:(

Tom - is this the car in your avatar?
I was thinking your car was a green 318 SF?
And this one has a white VT, while the avatar looks dark?

The one in my avatar is a Sport Fury I owned from 2000-2006. It had a 318 with bucket seats and a console.

The car for sale is Poly Teal Metallic.

I was kinda thinking I had seen the avatar car FS awhile back, but wouldn't have guessed 12 years back. Wow, time flies.

Very nice car. Too bad I cannot meet that price or even make a decent offer!

Hopefully you will either find it a good home or win the lottery or something so you can keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back