1970 Seat Foam

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey People. I'm still looking for pre-cut seat foam for my '70 Newport. I can find two sites that sell foam for '69 C Bodies, but none for the '70. Can anyone tell me if the two would be the same?

Hey People. I'm still looking for pre-cut seat foam for my '70 Newport. I can find two sites that sell foam for '69 C Bodies, but none for the '70. Can anyone tell me if the two would be the same?

You have buckets in the car correct?

Damn they gotta be. I'm not home to look at the parts book but aren't all C 69/70 bucket seat frames the same? Aside from the material patterns being different, why would the foams be different?
Steve would likely know for certain. I'd be guessing.

Damn they gotta be. I'm not home to look at the parts book but aren't all C 69/70 bucket seat frames the same? Aside from the material patterns being different, why would the foams be different?
Steve would likely know for certain. I'd be guessing.
I agree with you, but I'm looking for confirmation before I order a set. At over $350, I want to be sure. :D

I did just order new headrests from one of those two companies; they had them in 4 colors; Year One only offered black. ???

I agree with you, but I'm looking for confirmation before I order a set. At over $350, I want to be sure. :D

I did just order new headrests from one of those two companies; they had them in 4 colors; Year One only offered black. ???

Really? I hadn't seen the headrests. I have seen them for B body buckets, not C body buckets. I'm anxious to hear your opinion when you get them.

Yes, the frames are the same for 1969 and 1970 but the seat foams may not be.
So foams would be too?
OK boys, which is it?

I appreciate this, by the way!

Really? I hadn't seen the headrests. I have seen them for B body buckets, not C body buckets. I'm anxious to hear your opinion when you get them.
I'll be glad to let you know. They are from Mopar Plus.

810H-BUK Mopar 1968-70 A,B,C-body Bucket Seat Headrests

Sorry, our posts crossed Dave after I added to my initial statement. The seat covers are definitely not the same so I am not sure about the foam.

My upholstery guy usually makes up his own foam using an electric knife and he can also select from a range of firmness to match my preference - it seems that would be a cheaper and more satisfying way to go. To me, the original firmness was too soft and caused the seat covers to wear out prematurely too.

Last edited:
Sorry, out posts crossed Dave. The seat covers are definitely not the same so I am not sure about the foam.

My upholstery guy usually makes up his own foam using an electric knife and he can also select from a range of firmness to match my preference - it seems that would be a cheaper and more satisfying way to go. To me, the original firmness was too soft and caused the seat covers to wear out prematurely too.
There is a guy here in Chico who said he could cut his own, but I'm leery of the raised areas on the seat bottoms. Can he really make that work? That's my hesitation, and my desire for pre-cut rubber.

There is a guy here in Chico who said he could cut his own, but I'm leery of the raised areas on the seat bottoms. Can he really make that work? That's my hesitation, and my desire for pre-cut rubber.

Understood. The guy I use in Victorville would likely glue on sections of the raised portions as needed. I have total confidence in the guy I use so it is up to you to determine the guy's ability you use.

Also, are the raised portions a part of the seat cover or really a part of the foam?

70_Chrysler_3000001.jpg

Last edited:
Also, are the raised portions a part of the seat cover or really a part of the foam?
I would say it's both. Look at the link below; the outer edges of the seats are raised. That's the way mine are now, and the new covers coming are reflective of this.

By the way, I received an email last week that Legendary has already shopped my order. Guess it didn't take 198 days!! Whoo-hoo! Another reason why I'm searching for foam again.

1840-ST68 Mopar 1968-69 A,B,C-body Seat Foams

In looking at the seat covers it seems the installer would have to pull the horizontal seam into the flat foam to achieve the contour of those seats. A seat cover wont just form that depression alone would be my judgment. Ask your installer to be sure or maybe when you receive the seat covers, take them to him and then ask him for guidance. In looking at the 1969 seat covers I would say the foam is different between 1969 and 1970. In 1970 I think just the horizontal portions would have to be pulled into fairly flat foam but not in the same way for 1969. The contour for the sides of the 1969 vs. 1970 seats are different:

70_chrysler_3000001-jpg.jpg

1969 Chrysler 300 Seats.jpg

Last edited:
Understood. The guy I use in Victorville would likely glue on sections of the raised portions as needed. I have total confidence in the guy I use so it is up to you to determine the guy's ability you use.

View attachment 471504
What shop in Victorville? Thanks

What shop in Victorville? Thanks

Robbins Upholstery - he did the headliner conversion in my 1969 Town & Country wagon from perforated hardboard to cloth and he did the same in my 1973 Dodge Coronet Crestwood wagon as well plus the front seat in my Crestwood wagon. His work was amazing and turned out perfect.
I had to do some preliminary revisions to my dome light and rear compartment lights in terms of mounting provisions but he did the rest.
Just excellent.

Back