1970 Sport Fury AM/FM Thumbwheel Radio with "Plymouth" on face

MONC440

Reaction score
Thinking about selling the original stereo for the Sport Fury. With my gauge modification the dash isn't going to look stock anyway so I figured someone that is trying to restore to original could use it.

I would like to know if it works before I list it for sale. My question is how can I bench test it? It is still in the car and when I turn the ignition on or off it has a small pop sound in the speaker. Turning any of the wheels doesn't change anything.

I think the car has all the original speakers also so will probably sell everything as a set.

radio.jpg

Kind of sounds like a speaker issue, possibly. Only way to really test it is to attach some speakers to the outputs to see if music/speech happens, unfortunately. Might be a YouTube video?

Does it have a good antenna connected?

Sometimes and old radio won’t tune to any channels, but will make a pop in the speakers when turned on. this is a good thing. It tells us that the speaker driver inside the radio is working but there is some othe problem keeping it from making music.

Does it have a good antenna connected?

Sometimes and old radio won’t tune to any channels, but will make a pop in the speakers when turned on. this is a good thing. It tells us that the speaker driver inside the radio is working but there is some othe problem keeping it from making music.
It has a cable connected but the antenna is gone.

IDK how can I tell?
Usually on the rear of the radio there are 4 round metal covered transistors back there if it is a stereo and only 2 if it not stereo. If you still have the dashpanel that radio came out of it will have a 3 speaker dash panel if stereo, and not just the single speaker.

Usually on the rear of the radio there are 4 round metal covered transistors back there if it is a stereo and only 2 if it not stereo. If you still have the dashpanel that radio came out of it will have a 3 speaker dash panel if stereo, and not just the single speaker.
Ok it is a 4 transistor with 3 speakers and a cross over.

I pulled it out and with power on the red lead, ground on the case and a spare antenna hooked up I got a 3 ohm house speaker to buzz but I can't say it will pick up any stations. I don't know if a 3 ohm speaker is the problem or it is the stereo.

The selector moves the needle and all the push buttons work.

All 3 speakers the paper cones are shot.

I don't know how to test the cross over.

stereo01.jpg

stereo02.jpg

stereo03.jpg

stereo04.jpg

stereo05.jpg

stereo06.jpg

Ok it is a 4 transistor with 3 speakers and a cross over.

I pulled it out and with power on the red lead, ground on the case and a spare antenna hooked up I got a 3 ohm house speaker to buzz but I can't say it will pick up any stations. I don't know if a 3 ohm speaker is the problem or it is the stereo.

The selector moves the needle and all the push buttons work.

All 3 speakers the paper cones are shot.

I don't know how to test the cross over.

View attachment 537316

View attachment 537317

View attachment 537318

View attachment 537319

View attachment 537320

View attachment 537321
If you are planning on either keeping it or selling it, the radio can be updated to include Bluetooth. The one that I bought on Fleabay is at http://taymanelectrical.com/ to get reconfigured.
An option…

I recently heard that Tayman is overloaded with work and the wait time for getting a radio worked on is on the order of 6 months turnaround at least.

I recently heard that Tayman is overloaded with work and the wait time for getting a radio worked on is on the order of 6 months turnaround at least.
He told me when I called Gary that he’s got a backlog and he’d have the radio done in about 5-6 weeks.

If you’re having trouble with the website, and even if you aren’t, I would recommend that you call.

Thinking about selling the original stereo for the Sport Fury. With my gauge modification the dash isn't going to look stock anyway so I figured someone that is trying to restore to original could use it.

I would like to know if it works before I list it for sale. My question is how can I bench test it? It is still in the car and when I turn the ignition on or off it has a small pop sound in the speaker. Turning any of the wheels doesn't change anything.

I think the car has all the original speakers also so will probably sell everything as a set.

View attachment 537142
Did you ever sell this radio?

Back