1970 Sport Fury

two tone cuda

Reaction score
I picked the car up from a repair shop, it was in storage at a Plymouth dealer for years and years. I will get more pictures of it but need to replace the fuel pump. I seen the car at the repair shop on a Sunday in the lot so I thought I would call them on a Monday and ask about the car, I called and was told they replaced the fuel tank and pump but the owner could not pay the bill, I asked if the car would be for sale and they said yes but would be a month out because of the paperwork needing to be done on the car so I asked if they could give me a call when the want to get rid of it so after a month went by I got the call and picked it up. I am new to your forum and have posted that I need a rear chrome piece for the quarter, this will be the second sport fury I have bought. the last one I owned was also a 70 sport fury with a u code 440, 375 HP, probably an executive ordered car, I had Bill that owns the rod look at it and could verify the it was a U code 1970 Sport fury. not a GT. this 70 I just bought is a solid car...

IMG_20191026_154453782.jpg

IMG_20191026_211554856.jpg

IMG_20191026_211914846.jpg

IMG_20191026_174259164.jpg

IMG_20191026_174421590.jpg

IMG_20191026_174405815.jpg

This looks like a solid car with potential.

Unless the repair shop got a defective pump, a new one should not be bad. Try taking off the input fuel line and run a line to gasoline gas can to see if the pump will deliver fuel. A lot of time cars with rusted out fuel tanks also have rusted out fuel lines or cracks in the rubber lines. The test described above bypasses all of that to test the pump. If the pump turns out to be bad, try to find a Carter pump as the Chicom pumps sold at AutoBone and CarCrap are a poor quality POS.

Was the other U-Code sport fury by any chance a 4dr Sedan? The U-Code 440 was not offered on the sport fury in '70 but I think it might have been possible to get it with the police package. There were a few sport fury police cruisers around in those days, cops liked the headlight doors as they helped keep rock damage to headlights down.

Dave

This looks like a solid car with potential.

Unless the repair shop got a defective pump, a new one should not be bad. Try taking off the input fuel line and run a line to gasoline gas can to see if the pump will deliver fuel. A lot of time cars with rusted out fuel tanks also have rusted out fuel lines or cracks in the rubber lines. The test described above bypasses all of that to test the pump. If the pump turns out to be bad, try to find a Carter pump as the Chicom pumps sold at AutoBone and CarCrap are a poor quality POS.

Was the other U-Code sport fury by any chance a 4dr Sedan? The U-Code 440 was not offered on the sport fury in '70 but I think it might have been possible to get it with the police package. There were a few sport fury police cruisers around in those days, cops liked the headlight doors as they helped keep rock damage to headlights down.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I already ordered a new fuel pump, all the lines are new as well. I will look a little closer at the pump, thanks. the u code fury was a 2 door sport fury, I picked it up in California. I was that off yellow color I painted it jet black..

The 1970 sport fury that had the 375 horse U code was a real 1970 2 door sport fury with a non vinyl formal roof, like I was saying Bill that owns the rod on this forum said it was a very rare sport fury from 1970...

Congratulations, nice find! Maybe the mechanics missed the push rod when they put in the new pump or was it running when they pulled it out? Those push rods can be frustrating, and if a mechanic is not familiar with them.... a case of the "Fukits" can settle in.

Congratulations, nice find! Maybe the mechanics missed the push rod when they put in the new pump or was it running when they pulled it out? Those push rods can be frustrating, and if a mechanic is not familiar with them.... a case of the "Fukits" can settle in.
Chrysler push rod work is way better engineered than Chevrolet. Chrysler gives you that plug with the Allen head. You can hold it up easier. Chevrolet you have to pull a plate off and hope grease holds it up.

Thanks, yes I will check that out. a fuel pump for that car is so cheap that I ordered one just in case it is bad. I thank you for the info and will check it out and thanks for the input, it helps..

Back