1970 washer fluid container - safest way to install pump

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have an intact 70 washer bottle and im worried about installing the pump in the bottom, i dont want to crack it. the bottle is still fairly white, not dried out and not very yellowed so im hoping its not too brittle.
my "good" one doesnt have the rubber washer gasket in place, so im thinking i need to install the gasket 1st and then insert the pump & intake screen
or do i put the gasket around the pump and insert it ?
and of course i dont have a rubber washer gasket yet.......

20200401_201537_resized_1.jpg

The grommet goes on the bottle first. I'd warm the bottle slightly first, get the grommet good and hot and soapy, kind of fold it into itself to make the "O" a fat "C", insert and gently let it snap back into an O. Have ready a 5/8" deep socket with a long extension. Use it inside the tank as a back support against a bench, or in your lap, and gently pressing, maybe slightly threading on. Then the plastic washer, and the nut, switch the 5/8" for 3/4" hand tight only. With most places being closed these days, the quickest way to get the grommet may be to buy a new pump from any local parts store. They're only 15-20$. I think I have one or two laying around the garage, if I do, I'll take measurements and post a picture.

The grommet goes on the bottle first. I'd warm the bottle slightly first, get the grommet good and hot and soapy, kind of fold it into itself to make the "O" a fat "C", insert and gently let it snap back into an O. Have ready a 5/8" deep socket with a long extension. Use it inside the tank as a back support against a bench, or in your lap, and gently pressing, maybe slightly threading on. Then the plastic washer, and the nut, switch the 5/8" for 3/4" hand tight only. With most places being closed these days, the quickest way to get the grommet may be to buy a new pump from any local parts store. They're only 15-20$. I think I have one or two laying around the garage, if I do, I'll take measurements and post a picture.

Hey Grant I still need your help with that parts pickup in NE Edmonchuk I will send you a text kinda forgot all about it in all the drama lately. :)

thanks grant !

You're welcome Mark, I thought I had them in one of my plastic organizers. It looks like they're with the tanks, which are buried like gold in a box, will take a bit of digging/moving to get to them.

Hey Grant I still need your help with that parts pickup in NE Edmonchuk I will send you a text kinda forgot all about it in all the drama lately. :)

Sure thing Graham, I was wondering if you ever got them. I definitely have spare time these days. Let me know.

Back