1971 & 1972 Plymouth body structure and dash shells

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Plymouth Fury Dash Shell: I would like to know if from 1971 to 1972 the positions of the 4 mounting screws that go through the defroster vents and the 2 bolts, one behind each kick panel changed. My guess is that the fuselage passenger compartment is the same but I’m not sure. I ask the question because I was considering stripping down my 1971 Fury GT to a bare shell, but it would be easier to give it to the body man, I think, with a dash shell and steering column. I could be restoring the 71 dash and 71 steering column while the body man was at work on the car, if I put another dash shell and steering column in the vehicle. I may have found a body man who will take the car for at least part of the body work in January. Thanks

Were you planning on having the car driveable when it goes to the body shop?

That would be the only reason to put another dash in the car.

If it's just going to be a roller, I'd only put a column in it and leave the dash out.

I'm fairly certain that the dash mounting points remained the same '69-'73, but the positions of some wires may have changed in the bulkhead connector over the years.

Jeff

Were you planning on having the car driveable when it goes to the body shop?

That would be the only reason to put another dash in the car.

If it's just going to be a roller, I'd only put a column in it and leave the dash out.

I'm fairly certain that the dash mounting points remained the same '69-'73, but the positions of some wires may have changed in the bulkhead connector over the years.

Jeff
Good advice. I was planning on a rolling shell. I wanted a way for the shop to steer the car when they move it.

Good advice. I was planning on a rolling shell. I wanted a way for the shop to steer the car when they move it.
If that is the case, maybe you can just hold up the column with some strap like this... Available in the plumbing aisle of your local Lowes Depot.
Perforated-Galvanized-Steel-Duct-Strap-2.jpg

Back