1971 Chrysler New Yorker with HLT7 Vinyl & Leather Interior

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This EW1 4-door hardtop popped up for sale on CL in Meriden, CT last week. Until yesterday, I seriously considered getting CH43T1C175339 as a "rainy-day car show" driver. I ended up passing mostly because the cost of redoing it correctly was too high for what I wanted to do with the car. The car is still available (or at least it was as of last night, with a pending offer) and the seller was thorough and honest -- so catch it if you want it.

00505_kDQhP8Dn6iy_0CI0sV_1200x900.jpg

AFAIK, the leather seating option went away in 1972 -- neither the NYB nor the NYer have it in '72 or '73. Folks who want more info about the partial-leather option can find it on fuselage.de and the Hamtrack Registry.

I have not seen any other '71 NYer with the HLT7 interior (or, for that matter, of the 1969 HST or 1970 HST5 equivalents), so I thought that I would share the pictures below. Note that part of this car's front bench (but not the rear) was redone incorrectly and re-dyed in the wrong color.

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4028.jpeg

IMG_4021.jpeg

IMG_4027.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

Probably would've taken a pass too. There must be a reason it's been up for sale for a while, unless CT already has snow on the ground.
Anyone interested should want to see the condition of floors on this hardtop before making an offer, especially after seeing your pics of what looks to be water stains in all areas of the carpeting that were not posted in the CL ad. The high carpet water stain on the front passenger side, could be an indication the heater core is shot too.

The seller sent me over 40 high-res pics of the car, which he took last week at my request. He did not hide anything. While I did not see the floors, what he did tell me is that the carpet needed replacing because the weatherstripping was shot on the driver's side, resulting in intrusion by the elements.

There was also some rust in the lower areas -- ahead and behind the front wheel open dings, and as usual the rear lower quarters -- with a few holes in the sheetmetal. While the underside itself did seem very solid, I would have wanted eyes on the ground and a member had kindly agreed to go. I decided to pull the plug after factoring in the seat issues.

Last edited:
The seller sent me over 40 high-res pics of the car, which he took last week at my request. He did not hide anything. While I did not see the floors, what he did tell me is that the carpet needed replacing because the weatherstripping was shot on the driver's side, resulting in intrusion by the elements.

There was also some rust in the lower areas -- ahead and behind the front wheel open dings, and as usual the rear lower quarters -- with a few holes in the sheetmetal. While the underside itself did seem very solid, I would have wanted eyes on the ground and a member had kindly agreed to go. I decided to pull the plug after factoring in the seat issues.

Its not worth a $2500.00 shot?

An interesting seat option. Thanks for posting. Suspecting just the seating surfaces are leather?

Not just heater core leaks, but hvac case leaks of normal a/c condensate. With the factory floor mats, you'd never know it! No smells, usually, but when you took the rh frt mat out, it'd have moisture on its underside. Just my experiences. But even so, might be band-aid fixed for little money, if it's not too bad.

Guess it looks pretty good for where it's been, all things considered?

Definitely was a nice car when new!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

That rear seat pattern is so boring, yet at the same time so elegantly cool.
I would give it a 10/10 if the front seats were the 71-up highback bucket style with that treatment.
But the squarish embossed fronts, with those headrests, don't have the same panache as the rear seat.

But still neat to see! (right click, save-as)

Back