1971 Chrysler Newport Custom 383, rebuilding in Europe

Cruising along with my friend the other day. He has a nice early 2gen Firebird (a 70 i believe), and is currently rebuilding a 72 Ford Torino Sport. Nice day out.

received_298815821319901.jpeg

hey!
I've almost done 800 miles since July :)
Yesterday when parking the car, my daughter noticed something dripping from the back, and sure enough i'm losing gas... upon further inspection after crawling under the trunk, it looks like it's going from the locking ring on the front of the tank. The tank is new, but i remember reading somewhere on this forum that the repro locking rings are sh** and better to use the stock/old one... well this seems to be the case. Have to get this sorted, there's a lot of fumes around the back now, wouldn't want the thing to go up in flames .

Other than that, i've made a small list of things to do in the winter:

* New 2bbl Carter carb (the one i have now is tired, poor throttle response and hesitation upon very little throttle)
* get the AC to work
* change to internals of the radio to modern - keep the look original
* Fabricate a towing hitch (will be used mostly for a bicycle rack, but possibly not too far down the road for a small camper/trailer)

Keep rollin'!

Some recent pics

FB_IMG_1598474615486.jpg

FB_IMG_1598247014782.jpg

in the las pic u can actually see the gas dripping...

20200905_111704.jpg

Just curious, has anyone had any experience with this company and setup for the 383 ?

News Archives - Page 2 of 3 - Howell EFI Conversion & Wiring Harness Experts

The price is pretty decent, taking into account it's a complete kit.

I'm also wondering what might not work after the EFI conversion, for example the cruise control since it's mostly vacuum operated?

The reason why i'm thinking of this is pretty simple - better throttle response, better MPG, and overall more hassle free maintenance and everyday drivebility. I had 2bbl TBI in my 87' 5.0 Camaro, and man that thing was great (not on power, but gas mileage and durability etc).

Please let me know of your thoughts, i have to weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks

Just some of the behind the scenes, custom work that was required during the rebuild. For example, a broken left h/side drivers window roll up bracket. Quicker to make than import from the US.

20200222_143259.jpg

20200225_083356.jpg

Headed out into the mountains recently on the Polish/Slovakian border. Lots of climbing, and coasting downhill. Well to say the least, the gas mileage wasn't great, but then who cares? :)
Great hiking trip for the day.

DSC04572_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

DSC04578_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

DSC04582_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

@marty mopar
@71Polara383
@70 Sport Suburban

@Unix -- I don't think you've posted the tag for your car. I'd be interested in seeing it or, if you're not comfortable posting, at least knowing if the interior is S3Y5. Thank you!

Yes, thanks for reminding me about the TAG... the body shop actually forgot to put it back on, i haven't spoken to them yet but there's a chance they might have lost it (in that case i'll have a new one made). Luckily i have a photo of it.

Can someone please help me decode it?

20181027_102249.jpg

what i managed to decode:
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
CL23: Unknown
L1C: Unknown

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
GF9: Unknown
L3Y5: Unknown
000: Unknown
B20: Unknown
E61: 383 cid 2 barrel V8 290hp

B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
V1X: Unknown
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)

Recently i noticed the charging power fluctuate sometimes, with it going from time to time do discharge with no apparent reason. One of the few things i didn't replace on this car was the alternator. On the last ride the needle was constantly a little on discharge, and after 30 or so minutes i noticed it lost power, started misfiring and was starting to run rough...
Now i ordered a remanuf acdelco alternator, new acdelco voltage regulator and connector. Hope this solves the problem....
Damn, what a project, this thing had to have everything replaced..heh

Wish I'd seen your post sooner. Sorry you wasted your time on the decoding. Here goes, after editing slightly the suggestions of the automatic decoder at MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - 1969-1974 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder. I have added links to relevant pages from two great sites, Fuselage.de and the Hamtramck Registry:

CL: Chrysler Low (Newport Custom)
23: 2 Door Hardtop

L: 383 2BBL 8 CYL
1: 1971
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA (auto plant)

158931: Sequence number

E61: 383-cid 2-barrel V8
GF9: Avocado Poly (metallic dark green)
L3Y5: Trim - Low, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold
000: Full Door Panels
B20: Build Date: November 20, 1970
165498: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black

G11: Tinted Glass (all windows)
V5X: Side Mouldings Vinyl Inserts, Black

Last edited:
Wish I'd seen your post sooner. Sorry you wasted your time on the decoding. Here goes, after editing slightly the suggestions of the automatic decoder at MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - 1969-1974 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder. I have added links to relevant pages from two great sites, Fuselage.de and the Hamtramck Registry:

CL: Chrysler Low (Newport Custom)
23: 2 Door Hardtop

L: 383 2BBL 8 CYL
1: 1971
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA (auto plant)

158931: Sequence number

E61: 383-cid 2-barrel V8
GF9: Avocado Poly (metallic dark green)
L3Y5: Trim - Low, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold
000: Full Door Panels
B20: Build Date: November 20, 1970
165498: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black

G11: Tinted Glass (all windows)
V5X: Side Mouldings Vinyl Inserts, Black
Thank you, thats great! In what way is the hd trans different?

The crocodile is ready for storage..no special work done, just washed the car, filled the tank and cruised "the strip" ;) .

20201021_190721.jpg

20201021_190850.jpg

20201021_190845.jpg

Thought i'd share it with you. This summer returning from a trip i spotted a beautufil fuselage Dodge Monaco near my hometown, i mean that thing was mint. What are the odds of that? Pretty rare I'll tell you! The engine configuration must have been lower since it had a single exhaust.

Today i also saw a Chrysler 300 vert for sale, it looked pretty bad, had very poor body and paintjob work performed at some point. What a shame.

They had other nice rides for sale as well, the Charger and Vette ....well maybe someday :)

20200712_175416.jpg

20201101_133218.jpg

20201101_133304.jpg

20201101_133200.jpg

Thought i'd share it with you. This summer returning from a trip i spotted a beautufil fuselage Dodge Monaco near my hometown, i mean that thing was mint. What are the odds of that? Pretty rare I'll tell you! The engine configuration must have been lower since it had a single exhaust.

Today i also saw a Chrysler 300 vert for sale, it looked pretty bad, had very poor body and paintjob work performed at some point. What a shame.

They had other nice rides for sale as well

Nice pics! I am of course a little bit biased toward the 1970 Monaco :)

Did you by any chance manage to get the fender tag of the 300 'vert? It would be one of the Last Convertibles. Does the seller have a website?

Nice pics! I am of course a little bit biased toward the 1970 Monaco :)

Did you by any chance manage to get the fender tag of the 300 'vert? It would be one of the Last Convertibles. Does the seller have a website?

I'll try to find some info on the Vert tag.

In the meanwhile, winter is ever closer, so will have some time to get around fixing my heating/AC. I do not have any control over the heater core, i cannot switch from dash vent to windshield or floor vents. I believe the vacuum lines to operate the flaps on the heater core are not connected properly. (the entire heater core and flaps/linkages were rebuilt but i assume not connected properly).

* Where can i find a vacuum line schametic for the heater core?
* Another question, how is the heat control operated, via cable or vacuum ? (i don't have auto A/C but manual).

In the winter i want to get the heater core vent control fixed, temperature control repaired, and also the A/C up and running (it's been a real pain this summer without AC).

Thanks for any help or input, neet to get this sorted

I'll try to find some info on the Vert tag.

In the meanwhile, winter is ever closer, so will have some time to get around fixing my heating/AC. I do not have any control over the heater core, i cannot switch from dash vent to windshield or floor vents. I believe the vacuum lines to operate the flaps on the heater core are not connected properly. (the entire heater core and flaps/linkages were rebuilt but i assume not connected properly).

* Where can i find a vacuum line schametic for the heater core?
* Another question, how is the heat control operated, via cable or vacuum ? (i don't have auto A/C but manual).

In the winter i want to get the heater core vent control fixed, temperature control repaired, and also the A/C up and running (it's been a real pain this summer without AC).

Thanks for any help or input, neet to get this sorted

I'm the same boat with the AC on my '73 Newport. I'll be watching for updates from you. Really like your car.

Back