1971 GY3 Sport Fury 383 6 Pack Protoype

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm not making this **** up....this is what the owner said!

He said he is the original owner and ordered the car new with a 383 6 pack prototype engine. The car was re-furbished restored something on the TV show Phantomworks. The owner and his wife both started telling me it's all original as soon as I took the picture of the fender tag....

The fender tag says it is an E65 383 which is a 1971 only engine. He said it came from the factory with 6 pack rods. He said some name of some company that rebuilt the engine (not Phantomworks) and it was 420 hp. It sure didn't sound anywhere near 420 hp. The E65 engine is just a 300 hp 383.

Oh well.....something you don't see everyday. Especially with the SportFury emblem on the vinyl top.

20190831_190341.jpg

GY3 Curious Yellow. Looked like a repaint. I'm pretty sure he said it was original.

R35-am/fm-mx stereo. I wonder what mx is?
Pretty early car as well, interesting aside from the six barrel claim.

This looks like a very nice car, and well taken care of. With that said, I DO NOT believe the owners claim of it being a six pack engine from the factory. There are many points to back this up, From 1969 thru 1972 Chrysler would not install factory A/C on a multi-carburetor engine. (340 six pack, 440 six pack, 426 hemi).
The next one is the fact that the 383 is a "B" engine, while the 440 is a "RB" engine, "Six pack connecting rods are longer for the 440. And to top it off, the deck height on a 383 is lower than the 440. You could purchase a six pack intake manifold from Chrysler and all the correct parts, I believe this to be "Dealer installed" but not factory installed.

MX is multiplex...

We kicked this car about five years ago. Obviously all our BS flags are accurate .

The “six pack rods” claim is a pretty big gaffe, as traintech 55 pointed out. Also, this original owner says he ordered the car with a “prototype” engine, but says nothing about the transmission. It obviously has an automatic, but is it a common 727, or is it the heavy duty version used on Hemis and 440 six packs? The differences are internal cannot be seen from the outside. If the original owner wanted to pump this car up as some sort of one of a kind, and really knew Mopars (he does not), he would have known about the transmission. Does he have anything to show that he is, in fact, the original owner?

No.....other than his wife verbally vouching for him being the original owner.

From what I remember from the Fathead show is the wife said that the factory shipped the 'Prototype' 6BBL 383 by mistake and wanted the car back after delivery was already made.

Watch the show IIRC the car had a boatload of electrical issues that were most likely caused by the husband. The cars a hack.

totally 100% a liar.. just a regular 383 fury formal roof.. early car yes...[827] but not early enuf to be anything special.. just an owner custom is all

Strange car. Has a '70 hood, after market crappy (like mine) exhaust tips and I'm not sure what he did to the dash. The defroster vents have been carved out large enough to fit a hot-air furnace floor grate! The fender tag has been removed and either had the paint removed or that isn't the original tag. Be very interested to see the VIN code on the driver door, dash cap, fender tag, engine block, transmission case, front cowl and under the trunk weather strip. Probably a few surprises. As far as I know, Mopar never ever sold prototypes. They played with them, then destroyed them. Prototypes didn't qualify for any warranty or even any assurance they would work.

Kinda a neat car being a N-code GY3 Sport Fury. Too bad cars can't pick their owners.
Thanks for sharing the pics. I am sure that was a real treat meeting him in person.

Dave

In fairness, all the prototype BS aside (did they claim the flames on the air cleaner are original too? LOL!), high impact colours like Y3 on a C body is a pretty rare thing, and the car looks very clean from the pics.

The emblems on the top look all wrong (like 69 Fender emblems?)...I've never seen that.

Back