1971 Imperial gas tank

jeffsunzeri

Reaction score
The gas tank on my '71 Imperial is not delivering fuel. I'm going to have to lower/remove the tank to check it out.
The tank has the 4 vents going into the vent-tank (not the vertical tube) at the front of the tank.
Before I drop the tank, does anyone have any advice on what not to do when dropping the tank? Any special procedures to do or anything to look for in the venting system, or feed line?
The factory manual doesn't have anything special to recommend.

You may want to try using compressed air on the gas line going into the tank just before the sending unit. Give it a couple of shots and see if it’s plugged and causing your issue. The you can disconnect the gas line before the filter and blow your line out from the there to the front of your tank. Do not blow through your gas filter. This is just to make sure your gas line isn’t the issue before you drop your tank.

Sorry I meant to say disconnect the gas line at the gas pump and give it a blow not the filter.

Welder guy has some good advice. The fuel pickup/sending unit is like a drinking straw sticking down into the tank that has a "sock filter" on the end of it. The other half of that part is the "toilet bowl type" float on a long, thin metal arm that makes your gas gauge work.

Somehow the "straw" is either blocked (blowing air into it might clear the blockage) or has a rust hole in the side of it making the fuel pump suck air instead of gasoline.

The tank is held in place by two metal straps. The fuel pickup/sending unit has at least one hose & 1 push-on wire attached to it & is locked in place by a large "lock ring" & sealed with a gasket. Usually, you can drive that lock ring with a screwdriver (watch for sparks!). It often helps to put a piece of plywood & a jack under the tank when putting it back up.

Back