NOT MINE 1971 Imperial LeBaron 2dr (triple white, OK, $7.5k ask)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
YM23T1C107963 was posted a couple of weeks ago on OfferUp, and it is still for sale north of OKC. I talked at length to the owner, who found it in a barn on a property that he's flipping. I am rather keen on acquiring a 2dr Imperial, so I was serious as they are few and far between (I know of only a dozen or so in running condition).

Unfortunately, the photos that I got from the seller were all of very poor quality, and even thought this Imp looks like a solid original from what I could see, I needed an in-person visit. The seller told me that he had another person interested and had time pressure. I could not arrange for a local inspection in time for the seller's deadline, so I decided to pass on the car as it is loaded (H53 AutoTemp, headlight washers, power toys) and will need a thorough going over.

I still see the ad up on OfferUp, so I assume it has not sold. I am posting it here in the hope that it goes to a good home.

2fc5fe069601463bb998e051e24509b6.jpeg

34660233c4e64fac9e2d7f287103cc7d.jpeg

7 image000008-1.jpg

image000006-2.jpg

image000000-4.jpg

2 RHS front image000003-3.jpg

4 RHS front image000002-3.jpg

1 RHS front image000000-1.jpg

6 LHS rear image000004.jpg

8 LHS rear image000009.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you give all your cars a thorough going over?

What's different about this one?

If you want one, and there aren't many out there, why not get it?

Remember, Tim's imperial had three crappy photos in the ad, that didn't identify what car it was. You know how nice that car turned out to be.

Don't you give all your cars a thorough going over?

What's different about this one?

If you want one, and there aren't many out there, why not get it?

Remember, Tim's imperial had three crappy photos in the ad, that didn't identify what car it was. You know how nice that car turned out to be.
Of course I do. But this is an Imperial and, as such, it is more complex than all but one of my cars. What worries me? Engine is one thing, interior is another, but electrical is the main question mark. If you look at the interior photo, I can't tell if the film on the dash is dirt or humidity. If it is the latter, then the dash will need to be pulled and all the electrical / circuit boards checked. I've only bought cars for which that was not needed, and I have no intention of risking the need to do so.

Initially, I was almost sure this car might not be a major project, and in fact it may not be -- but I don't want it badly enough that I would be willing to risk making a mistake (remember Elsie? that turned out to be more than I wanted to chew, despite that 1973 EW1 Imp's being super solid -- the photos I got at the time were bad/poor and I ended up making a mistake as not only was the interior baked but the engine needed a rebuild as well). I want to finish the C-bodies in my pipeline first: a new, potentially major project, is not what I want at this stage.

PS: As for buying cars on a single photo -- I did that for my 1970 TNT 'vert, as you know, but I bought only after seeing it in person. I can't go see this car, as work comes first and I have no time for a trip to OK. I tried arranging for a local inspection, but unfortunately the timing did not work and so I am out.

Last edited:
Looks more like dirt in that blurry picture, and I'd suspect the headliner would have spots if it was moisture. But yep, no way to know for sure without eyes on it.

Did you ask for better pictures? I assume you did, I know you're persistent until you feel the seller is gonna run away. It doesn't look like any water damage in the few pictures provided. Politely get after it! Triple white is a bonus, be nice to add to the collection.

I asked for photos -- as I said, I communicated extensively with the seller. He was very responsive, but he's not the best picture taker: what I posted is the best I got. I am posting about the car here, because I want it to go to a good home. That won't be mine.

I asked for photos -- as I said, I communicated extensively with the seller. He was very responsive, but he's not the best picture taker: what I posted is the best I got. I am posting about the car here, because I want it to go to a good home. That won't be mine.
I am interested in the car. Have c- bodies but no Imperials. I know enough to get myself in trouble. I have
contacted the seller today awaiting for a reply.

I am interested in the car. Have c- bodies but no Imperials. I know enough to get myself in trouble. I have
contacted the seller today awaiting for a reply.
Happy to share with you what I learned / the pics I received. Send me a PM if you think I can be of help.

This 71 is a pretty loaded car, including the rare headlight washer, and probably worth it to someone to grab before it's gone.
Like already said, I too would be concerned about the electrical system. My 69 was sitting in a garage for several years before I picked it up, but the previous owner would try to keep the car clean when she was able to do so.
This 71 looks like it has been sitting for much longer, surrounded by trash all over the place. I'd be concerned there may be rat infestation and chewed wiring. Additionally, a missing air cleaner in that filthy barn is an open invitation for a mouse hideout.
It's worth a look at $7500, and its only a starting price FWIW anyway. Depending on the activity it now gets, will determine if that price goes up or down.

This 71 is a pretty loaded car, including the rare headlight washer, and probably worth it to someone to grab before it's gone.
Like already said, I too would be concerned about the electrical system. My 69 was sitting in a garage for several years before I picked it up, but the previous owner would try to keep the car clean when she was able to do so.
This 71 looks like it has been sitting for much longer, surrounded by trash all over the place. I'd be concerned there may be rat infestation and chewed wiring. Additionally, a missing air cleaner in that filthy barn is an open invitation for a mouse hideout.
It's worth a look at $7500, and its only a starting price FWIW anyway. Depending on the activity it now gets, will determine if that price goes up or down.
Tim, you need a white one to go with the black one.

If I was closer, I'd go look at it with an empty trailer.

I'd be tempted on this one to go have a look, but I have too much on my plate to even consider buying another car for the time being.

a missing air cleaner in that filthy barn is an open invitation for a mouse hideout.

I think that the air cleaner was removed to show the engine. There is an air cleaner. What is missing is the radiator.

As to wiring, there is something going on with the driver-door power-switch panel. What, I don't know.

Regardless, the car is worth a look in person to see what the situation is. As @sixpkrt said, it may well be a decent deal at $7.5k -- eyes are needed.

e794f4d490de48a28e17014d0897c2d1.jpeg

8270aab3ff894903ab72b6a4f531b7c9.jpeg

34660233c4e64fac9e2d7f287103cc7d.jpeg

df247bf31609449bb2685d21798bf21f.jpeg

b94e7da26b8047f9955c1a8fdaabf0b6.jpeg

image000000-3.jpg

Very interesting car! I hope a fellow member buys this! Can't say I've seen a 2 Dr in white yet. I wouldn't mind having a yin and yang twin to mine but he's asking almost more than I have into my whole 70 coupe. And like everyone else on here I have 5 project cars on deck.

Back