Turboomni Old Man with a Hat

• Like Like x 2
  2. MarPar

MarPar Meat Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I thought most, if not all had a 440.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Turboomni

Me to MarPar and too bad it's an auto trans, interesting car though I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Xenon

Xenon Senior Member

No, they originally came with 383... Later came with 440..
    In later years there was even a convertible..
    The one pictured is exactly like the one I had with exception to mine had an all black interior....
    Great driving car but anything electric was a major suck... Lucas electronics.. Cable drive wipers..
    The footwell where pedals are also rather tight....

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 69monaco

69monaco Senior Member

And some SP,s………..sixpack.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MarPar

Ahh yes, the famous Lucas electronics...
    Replacement-Lucas-Wiring-Harness-Smoke.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. 69 300 vert

69 300 vert Well-Known Member

This is just for fun, I failed to save the pictures, from a 2004 eBay auction:
    [​IMG]

Vehicle Description
    Jensen built over 6000 Interceptors. continually, developing and debugging the model for nearly ten years until it almost wasn't horrible. Alas, this is an extremely early example, so it's horrible in every conceivable way.

Granted, as the 180th Interceptor ever made, this right hand drive '67 Type 1 could be worse. The first few dozen of these overheating, pig handling, self immolating rustbuckets came with Vignale built bodies of such staggeringly poor quality that the ENGLISH wouldn't accept them, which is saying quite a mouthful. Even as it is, this British built version was apparently made from an alloy of salt, wet newspapers, and tuna cans. The front floors, both sills, most of the exterior front bodywork, and the left doorpost are all shot; the inner front fenders and box sections have taken a similar stroll across the periodic table, as have the lower parts of all four outer fenders. The hood, while fairly free of corrosion, appears to have been run over by a monster truck.

On the upside, the greenhouse and rear clip aren't too bad. The rear suspension points are nice and solid, and the twin sewer pipetube frame miraculously escaping the usual rust ahead of the firewall that causes the entire front half of these cars to break off and roll away on their own Is totally sound. I can only chalk this up to a liberal coating of Limey lubricants having leaked from the sump and gearbox.

The engine (a Jensen spec Chrysler 383), transmission (727 Torque Flite), brakes, and radiator were all supposedly rebuilt by the car's last owner. I half heartedly buy it regarding the brakes and radiator, which look pretty new. As to the engine, I think he's defined "rebuild" as "a new can of Ford blue engine paint."

This fine example of how Britain lost its empire comes with good glass all around, working window motors, good (rare Type 1) dash and console metal, the pathetic remains of four original Armstrong Selectaride shocks, and a fairly cursory paper trail.

Vehicle Condition
    Pretty sorry ass. But go ahead and email me with any questions, as I love to be reminded of that.

Terms of Sale

For starters, you can get it out of my driveway.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Zymurgy

Zymurgy Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I always kind of liked them. Seattle and Washington state seems to have many rust free cars. Kind of a combination of my 300 and my Lucas infected MGB. :)

Actually I can't complain about my MG and its Lucas electronics, it has been a very dependable car, for over 36 years

• Like Like x 2
  9. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968 The Mistress of Metal FCBO Vendor

I've had the opportunity to restore two sets of the valve covers and wooooo boy they're a challenge. The sloped design is really cool overall but they're low grade aluminum with lots of casting issues. If I remember right each has 12 different planes so a lot of the clean up has to be done by hand versus machine. They turn out sweet though.
    jensen-valve-covers-paul-linstead-2016-010_orig.jpg

Jensen Ari Wershaw.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarPar

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Turboomni

I had a set of Jensen covers for my 66 Dodge Coronet with a 273 engine.:rolleyes:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Mike66Chryslers

Mike66Chryslers Well-Known Member

I picked up a set of these valvecovers off ebay years ago. I think they're one of the sharpest looking B/RB valvecovers. I removed the powdercoat with methylene chloride and discovered, just as you found, the casting was pretty poor. Very rough surface and they were only finished with a grinder before powdercoating.

I don't have machining equipment, and they needed a lot of sanding to get the outer surfaces smooth. I planned to polish them smooth and I got pretty far along but that project got side-tracked when I discovered that the drivers side one hit my brake booster (1973 disc booster), so they won't fit on my Windsor until I swap-in a year-correct booster.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. cbarge

cbarge World Famous Barge in a Budget FCBO Gold Member

:rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lefty71

Lefty71 Active Member

I remember reading this years ago as well. Good stuff, unless it has happened to you.

15. bluefury361

bluefury361 Old Man with a Hat

Lucas refrigerators are the reason the British drink warm beer. Ya know.

• Like Like x 4
  16. polarus

polarus Senior Member

Get um powder coated.

• Like Like x 3