1971 Monaco cornering lights

akiran

Reaction score
How are the cornering lights of -71 Monaco meant to work ? Are the supposed to flash with turn signal lamps or illuminate steadily. And if it's latter, where are they connected ?

They remain on steady while the turn signals are flashing. They use a special turn signal switch with extra wires. I believe the aftermarket turn signal switches may have the extra wires for the cornering lamps.

Are yours not working?
They are connected through the steering column, through the bulkhead connector, utilizing the same connector as the turn signals, however they have their own wire, usually marked with a tracer, different from the front side marker. Check your FSM to see which color it is suppose to be. The light is powered by a #1293 style bulb and shine bright when on. If yours aren’t working, check the bulb, check the connections to the lamp. Test the bulb contact with a test light or multimeter etc.
Finally, A common problem that occurs with the cornering lamps is a loss of their ground. They do not have a dedicated ground wire like every other light on the front end. They are grounded through the bulb socket and into the Cornering lamp housing, into the fender. Make sure the metal there is clean and rust free. Running a jumper wire from the battery and touching the socket housing is usually a tell-tale sign.

They remain on steady while the turn signals are flashing. They use a special turn signal switch with extra wires. I believe the aftermarket turn signal switches may have the extra wires for the cornering lamps.

Yes they have the special wires - be sure to select the correct one as there are 4 variants of the Turn Signal Switches.

Standard Wheel W/Cornering
Standard Wheel W/o Cornering
Tilt Telescopic W/ Cornering
Tilt Telescopic W/o Cornering.

When I determined the horn on my '70 DH43 (w/cornering lights and tilt wheel) didn't work because when the RimBlow switch shorted out (above in-car ambient temp of about 85 degrees F), which caused the horn contact's spring to go limp (and fry the guts of the horn relay), I went to the dealer to see about a new switch. I'd also gotten some Mopar Parts Jobber catalogs (back in the middle '70s when Mopar Parts had jobber stores as AC-Delco and Motorcraft did). It seemed the books' listings left something to be desired. Seems like the one we chose (which worked) also fit a '75 Cordoba tilt wheel (but without cornering lights)?

ONE thing I came to notice was that the cornering light would illuminate before the turn signal would flash. Once I learned to move the turn signal level carefully, I could use the cornering light like a sort of wide-angle flashlight, which was kind of neat. This varied with the switch, it seems. Never did look at the FSM wiring schematic to see how it all worked, though.

The cornering lights were a neat upscale option on the larger cars. Allowed the driver to see where they were turning into (side street intersection, driveway, or otherwise).

CBODY67

Back