Not open for further replies.

ceebuddy

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine - sorry if we had this one before - Car doesn't run - $ 2,000
Still, it might be a decent Texas car.
------------
1971 Chrysler New Yorker

We are selling our 1971 chrysler new yorker because we are moving..! Car does not run but we do have all the parts ready to be installed the motor needed the push rod and my husband never got around to mess with it anymore. Everything is original in the car. We also have the original wheels to go with it. It has a clear Texas title... we are asking $2500 OBO we are really needing the cash so no trades.. call us at 806-3zerozero-seven59three ask for Tom

00t0t_3Y5DekyY5Bw_1200x900.jpg

01313_1Qeijn6j2my_1200x900.jpg

00G0G_j4p2Ia6RuEe_1200x900.jpg

01313_eUEADjLXZcf_1200x900.jpg

01616_dzAMVHBNoxK_1200x900.jpg

They have the original wheels? Huzzah... but Paisley fabric on the seat inserts?

upload_2019-4-18_10-2-43.png

A bit hard to say exactly, but the paint seems to be GF3 (Amber Sherwood) or GJ4 (April Green).

01616_dzAMVHBNoxK_1200x900.jpg

Crispiness detected.:eek:

Car is SOLD -- owner has not had the time to take it off CL.

@BLUPORT, have you visited Graceland? I have a feeling you'd love the decoration :D

Where'd you get the idea that that was "paisley"????? It's "brocade" if it's anything.

CBODY67

Paisley is a pattern, consisting of curved teardrops such as those clearly seen in the picture on which @BLUPORT commented.

Brocade is a specific type of fabric. In its 1971 sales brochure, Chrysler calls the NYer's Cairo fabric a "matelassé" -- which I understand is in the jacquard-weave family of fabrics to which brocades also belong.

Bottom line, it's a paisley piqué.

Last edited:
As I recall, the "paisley" of that era was not a texturized fabric, it was "printed" and multi-colored, rather than woven. "Paisley" wouldn't have been on a classy Chrysler, where the referenced "French term" would be more appropriate, back then.

A "Paisley" application might have been more "Mod Top"? Which pre-dated 1971 models. In general, "Paisley" items had a shorter shelf-life, back then. So by '71, they were "ancient history".

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I can see how some can find the Paisley "cheesy" or "dated". I find it to be extremely classy, well usually, in straight green it doesn't look too hot, with a black background I think it would look nicer. Black on black Paisley is about as classy as it gets, in my opinion.

Paisley is a pattern that dates back centuries, if memory serves to Persia (modern-day Iran). The pattern can be printed or woven. Either way, the design is called paisley. Even wrt the era in question (early seventies), I respectfully submit that the Chrysler sales brochure establishes that at least some of the paisley-patterned fabrics were woven and not printed.

Last edited:
Paisley is a pattern that dates back centuries, if memory serves to Persia (modern-day Iran). The pattern can be printed or woven. Either way, the design is called paisley.

No argument there, well not from me. I had to look up it's origin due your Persian claim as one of my best friends is from Paisley, Scotland, and I once asked him if that was where the pattern came from, he said "yes". I'll have to politely let him know it is of Persian origin. And get this- the shape is also known as the "Paisley pickle"!!!

one of my best friends is from Paisley, Scotland, and I once asked him if that was where the pattern came from, he said "yes".

Thank you for sharing the story! Your friend is correct in a way: the name "paisley" comes from the Scottish town of Paisley, whose manufacturing of huge quantities of textiles all decorated with the (Persian/Kashmiri) pattern made the latter famous.

"Paisley" wouldn't have been on a classy Chrysler

Wanna bet? :) Photo courtesy fuselage.de

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.50.45 PM.png

What I find "classy" might not be what others might, which I respect.

By observation, it seemed that sometimes the marketing people went to lengths to put expensive-sounding names on the interior fabrics, even if they were accurate, with the intention of giving the customer the impression of "no other brand has this, which is better". But they forgot to mention the "French seams"!

Curious question . . . Cairo is in India, yet Paisley has European and Persian ties?

Always did like Brad's music.

CBODY67

Cairo is in India, yet Paisley has European and Persian ties?

Actually Cairo is the capital of Egypt (the deserted country in Africa), Persia was the kingdom in Middle East (currently area of Iran), which is the closest part of Asia in relation to Europe.

Actually Cairo is the capital of Egypt (the deserted country in Africa), Persia was the kingdom in Middle East (currently area of Iran), which is the closest part of Asia in relation to Europe.

Thanks for those verifications. It'd been a while since I've thought about those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back