For Sale 1971 New Yorker Police car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8Pacer

Reaction score
Contact seller
Chrysler new yorker

This looks like a 1971 or older not 1972. If he got the year wrong he may have got the model wrong. So it may be a Newport which I'm assuming makes the possibility of it being a police car more plausible. Or maybe a regular off the dealer lot Chrysler used as a police car. Or most likely never was a police car. At least it's sedan not a hardtop.

my first thought is it is NOT a real police car (with the factory designations to that could authenticate it). However, it could have easily been USED by a police department - but that alone doesnt make it the "real deal" from the factory.

IF it could be proven a police car, I might have to fight it out (not literally :) ) with those few here who have been looking for a real fusie cop sled with the Chrysler badge for decades.

If real, and documented properly, and NOT gutted/rotted to death, I'd buy it for $1,500 with no hesitation.

Chrysler-badged Fusie Cop Cars?

Seller states small V8 so I think that rules it out as a New Yorker. What year did the 360 become the base engine in a Newport?

Does it say Newport on the C pillar or am I mistaken? Seems to me if somebody wanted to make a fake police car the first thing they would do is remove the wheel covers and replace them with hubcaps.

7F73CFE3-C062-4C1C-9391-A11914E3E4DA.jpeg
1C185AD6-77E7-42B5-8F95-056F27D2BC4E.jpeg
View attachment 174334

This car has been for sale for a long time and if I remember correctly, the original ad was that it was a clone. I think they were trying to make a Dukes of Hazzard tribute, not even close.

Does it say Newport on the C pillar or am I mistaken? Seems to me if somebody wanted to make a fake police car the first thing they would do is remove the wheel covers and replace them with hubcaps.

good eye .. that does look like "Newport".

If it was a fusie squad it would likely have been a Newport, its got a post, its got the wheel covers the fusie squads most had, and a small block could be had in 1971 in C Newports (I have one).

Still .. "miles to go" for me to be convinced its a real police sled. i'll call and see but sparse ad and few photos leads me to think this is just a superficial ID due to the obvious markings/light bar.

plus shooter65 remembers it to be a clone .. case closed then since he memory is pretty good :)

00-1-2-5-1.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg

Last edited:
If those decals were 45 years old they would have some fading or weathering especially down in Texas. I called the number in the ad and asked for the VIN but he never called back. I got the impression it's a auto salvage yard. I'm assuming Chrysler police cars never had a K in the VIN only Dodge and Plymouth. As for the motor someone could have pulled out the big block for a E body and replaced it with a small block. I hope someone gets to the bottom of this but unfortunately I believe shooter65 is correct.

I support the theory it's a 1971 Newport. This car does not have New Yorker type trim. Also, the 1971 Newport Royal was the first Fuselage Chrysler offered with a small block engine (360 to be exact).

This car has been floating around for years. If it was a real police version, it would have been sold long ago. That's my guess anyways. Would be neat if it turned out legit however.

Cop cars never get sold/scrapped with the light bar on them, so that points to a Dukes clone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back