NOT MINE 1971 Newport Royal - $6,000

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Not mine but struck me as a very clean car considering what one sees today. Of course the seller is a person of few words. I guess the pictures do the talking. AC is aftermarket.

Barn find. Great condition.
All original.

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/martell-newport-royal/7264299664.html
00o0o_33vlIlfqQCcz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00h0h_9CzqnQWEzetz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00m0m_6nQqlJpSeA6z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00h0h_39kF0toY5PBz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00K0K_g15T7sUQIv8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00N0N_1bABguAVsetz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00A0A_66kNApcuL7Kz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Thank you for posting. Looks like a BL1 Beige paint with black cloth & vinyl (G1X9 ?) bench interior. Looks like a K-code (360) with very few options. No A/C, hence the small radiator. Power disc brakes, good for the owner. Would like to see pics of the dash, front bench, and rear window area (given the chips in the paint around the top rear fenders) but the car looks very solid. Not for me, but I like it.

01212_9h3G0GVes6Sz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00w0w_4NuJnGLnkF8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01515_3vnYlmkfENoz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_k300ZpJsypTz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_5H3ED1pGTvPz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

It certainly looks very clean. With 110K miles I would have liked to see a photo of the driver's seat area to see if it matched the rest of the car's condition. Given the miles on it, it does look very well cared for.

why is everything now barn finds? what about sitting in a garage?
Because every Tom Dick and Harry has seen some auction that plays on stupid phrases. Where's the fun in saying it sat in Billy Bob's garage for three decades?

Looks like a decent and clean car, from the available pictures. With the aftermarket a/c, would be a good candidate for a Sanden and R-134a. Plus a new timing chain and HD shocks. Then drive it and enjoy!

Hope it finds a good home!
CBODY67

For '72, the model lineup was simplified. Newport Royal (400 2bbl std, w/440 opt) replaced both the '71 Newport Royal (360 2bbl) and '71 Newport (normal, with a 383 2bbl std).

If there was any other engine there I would be wondering; all of the "Royals" were 360s. First Chrysler with a small block.
Not according to this Chrysler ad for the 1971 Newport Royal that is available on the fuselage.de website:
upload_2021-2-16_13-54-41.png

360 is ‘71 only. Royal used the 400 in ‘72.
As the base engine, correct.

Seems like the '71 Newport Royal was a late-introduction model? In looking at the 1971 Order Guide items at www.hamtramck-historical, in the "Models" section, the Newport Royal is listed with its standard equipment. But in the "Options" listing, the "Newport" is the only one listed, no mention of "Newport Royal" or the 360 2bbl engine as standard . . . that I could find in that section.

It would not surprise me IF the other engines were available, but why buy a '71 Royal and then put an optional engine in it, which would seem to defeat the purpose of that car model in the first place? As the "Features" section notes, the whole idea for the Royal was to have a lower MSRP to better compete with the lower-level LeSabres and such, price-wise, but still be a Chrysler model. Unless somebody might like the woodgrain inserts on the door panels?

Is the quoted ad for the USA market or Export markets? Just curious.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just accessed the '71 Chrysler full-line brochure via www.eatondetroitspring.com "Links" and it shows no Newport Royal models or 360 V-8 in it. I do recall seeing that particular '71 Royal hardtop add, but didn't read the copy until I saw the one posted. I was collecting new car brochures back then. Seems like the Newport Royal had a separate flier for it, later on, when it was announced? Maybe I have one archived somewhere?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Another reason why window stickers, broadcast sheets and fender tags need to be saved.
SPD is 129. Also, a two tone car. VERY unusual for 1971.
100% agree on saving the information whenever it is available! Thank you for posting about CE41N1C192528 -- any more info about this car? Looks like a very interesting set of no-nonsense options for fun driving -- but with skirts!

Interesting as well is the interior code, G2E8, telling us that a bench with russet vinyl was available.

Last edited:
Yes, the 71 Royal model was a mid year (spring?) release and 360 only.
The original 71 Chrysler full-line brochures show no Royal model or mention of the 360 option.
I do see brochures online for just the Royal model published midyear and no engine option offered beyond the 360.

The original 71 Chrysler full-line brochures show no Royal model or mention of the 360 option.
I do see brochures online for just the Royal model published midyear and no engine option offered beyond the 360.

ummm...I think the window sticker above shows differently.....

I respectfully disagree other than with the fact that the Royals were not released at the beginning of the MY. This said, I have seen the SPD of Royal cars advertised for sale on FCBO going back to November 9, 1970 — and I doubt that’d the earliest date. As to other engines than the 360? Not only is the Chrysler ad to which I referred mentioning availability of all options save for the TNT engine, but the window sticker posted by @69CoronetRT is proof that other engines (indeed, an N-code!) were indeed ordered and sold.

Now, if you wonder why Chrysler made options like a sunroof or âge fer skirts available on a basic model, well, I have the same question...

Last edited:
In the referenced ad in the prior posting, I would like to know if that is a USA ad or an ad that was for the Euro market. I found the picture of the car in the meadow, but without the ad copy and the watermark of our Euro associates' website on it. If it might be a USA ad for the domestic market, Google might have found one without the watermark?

None of the info at www.hamtramck-historical.com has any mention of the Newport Royal, other than that ONE section of the different models. Pages of the Dealer Order Guide which could have been added after the guide was originally sent to the dealers. But that's the ONLY mention of the Newport Royal or the 360 V-8 that was standard in it. Which made me remember getting a flier at the local dealership well after the 1971 models were introduced for sale.

On the referenced window sticker's VIN, what might that indicate the production date to be? I find it interesting as to the cost of the optional 383 4bbl engine. It looks more like it's a price that it would have been over a 383 2bbl rather than a 360 2bbl, to me.

I'm wondering how many Royals were really built with the 360 and how many with 383s or 440s. Back in the earlier 1970s, the Exxon service station I bought gas from and became friends with the guy that ran it (a retired aircraft mechanic). An elderly lady who lived across the side street had a '71 Royal 360. She complained to him that it didn't run right and the local dealer could not make it any better. He tried and got it a little bit better, but told me it was still not as good as it should be. Also saying that they were all that way, with the 360. No issues with the 383s. Which is the limit of my knowledge about them. Which also might be why the 400 2bbl replaced the 360 in '72?

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

Back