For Sale 1971 Newport Royal in CO (2dr, looks like GJ4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
No mine. For sale on FB. Seller is asking $5.5k.

"Runs great, sounds great! Brand new white wall tires. The 360 Engine has been restored. All electrical works. Original paint. No Rust! Body is straight as an arrow. No dents, no dings! All trim molding in place. Top has been primed black."

94174421_2535328296784269_2383967918867087360_n.jpg

94618550_2535328386784260_6795733380148232192_n.jpg

94206958_2535323496784749_6167855091853295616_n.jpg

94428401_2535328436784255_1288861909629534208_n.jpg

94105391_2535328573450908_2530412396556582912_n.jpg

94092730_2535328406784258_7033788844541476864_n.jpg

94016661_2535328533450912_782872950654107648_n.jpg

94031531_2535328426784256_1608226658328772608_n.jpg

Looks really straight! Bumper's and valance's are great. I think the roof looks good, a few rust spots under the rear glass, and probably the windshield. And they didn't remove the glue from the middle of the it. Dash is the worst l think I've seen, the little of it I can see. Generic replacement seat covers, wrong side view mirror. I think it has alot of potential, and upon inspection would be a solid car. Let's see that restored engine! I am always amazed at how different these cars look without the fender lights and stainless strips.

Here we go again, GF3 or GJ4 green? I am tending toward the latter too Ayilar.

The outside rear view mirror is the correct one for non-remote control ones.

Was a partial roof reskin done on this one given the big rectangular outline on the roof? I think Stan is correct about the "plaster". And if a roof reskin was done, it will likely need a headliner and maybe the seats needed some cover up because welding sparks from the roof reskin took them out?

Strange to see a dash pad that bad - and the paint is well-worn. It must have spent a lot of time outside. It would be nice to see a photo of the passenger side too.

A lot more questions than answers on this one.............................

Last edited:
The outside rear view mirror is the correct one for non-remote control ones.

Interesting, I've never seen one of those. Probably rarer than the remote version. I was thinking the post looks right, and the shape, but it lacks depth, and the heavy edge of the remote's.

I don't think the roof has been reskinned. They just got lazy when it came to scraping the glue off. Did around the edges, looked at how much was left, or maybe ran out of solvent, and said "screw it", or "good enough", spray bomb time!

Interesting, I've never seen one of those. Probably rarer than the remote version. I was thinking the post looks right, and the shape, but it lacks depth, and the heavy edge of the remote's.

I don't think the roof has been reskinned. They just got lazy when it came to scraping the glue off. Did around the edges, looked at how much was left, or maybe ran out of solvent, and said "screw it", or "good enough", spray bomb time!

I never saw such lines when removing a vinyl roof, as the glue covered the whole surface, and if anything there were indications of where the two seams were when removing the vinyl roof, but they followed the two seams only down the entire roof, only and not across it.

I sent the seller a note asking some questions and he replied back that he will answer later when he has more time.

So we will see. Given the likely color and the condition of the rest of the body, this might not be a bad car for someone here - just need more info.

I received the follow up information from the seller. His name is Cory and he is a really nice guy and very helpful in answering the questions we all had. He also included a bunch more photos as you will see below.

Regarding the roof, he had a hard time getting the glue off the roof surface and succeeded after some effort around the edges of the roof where it was easier to access, but gave up in the center section because he couldn't find the right solvents to finish the job, so that is why it looks the way it does. He said he didn't find any perforations in the areas he did remove but did find some corrosion as seen in his close up photos, but he said the headliner inside the car is perfect with no tears or water spots that would suggest corrosion perforation. He removed the vinyl top because he saw some bumps where corrosion was starting and wanted to stop it from getting any worse. He inherited the car along with another one and has sold the other one so this one remains.

He assured me that there was no rust anywhere else on the car, either down low on the body or underneath except for one spot starting just below the rear window trim (as shown in the attached photo). He said he had done nothing to the metal in the vicinity of the lower window trim piece. The condition of the body and the chrome speaks to the miles seen on the odometer. The car did sit outside for about 2 years but not driven in snow, etc but the sun took a big toll on the dashpad and seats, but the door panels and headliner seem to have survived well. Dashpads are very likely available from Murray Park in good condition I would estimate. He said he pulled up the trunk vinyl mat and found some rusty water stains but no significant corrosion - he painted that area for preservation sake as well.

The car runs very well he said and his work on the engine was mostly replace the parts that needed it such as the water pump and some gaskets, a complete tune up including wires/plugs, etc and he changed the oil in the engine, trans and rear end. That is all.

So I believe this car deserves a good home and this is what I can do to help. If you have more questions and are seriously interested, give him a call. He is very nice and accomodating in responding to your requests. There are additional photos in a follow on post due to restrictions on how many photos I can list in one post below. It is GJ4 green, the really nice one!

1971 Newport Royal 1.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 9.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 8.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 7.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 6.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 5.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 4.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Interior 3.jpg
1971 Newport Royal 2.jpg

Last edited:
1971 Newport Royal additional photos below:

1971 Newport Royal lower rear window.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Roof 2.jpg
1971 Newport Royal Roof.jpg

With GJ4 exterior color and a green interior and a green vinyl top, this car should look very nice when repainted too. The only options it has are an AM radio and power disc brakes.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @saforwardlook for getting this information out. CE23K1C151247 is a rare GJ4 2-door Royal: I won't be its next owner (got other plans), but it deserves to be saved.

--> The interior looks like it needs three things, from cheap to more expensive:
1. door armrests (an easy fix as ABC Moparts sells perfect reproduction ones — or, with a green interior, it’s not hard to find used for those who don't want perfection);
2. a dash pad;
3. re-upholstering the seats. The fender tag shows that this car has the lowest possible number trim(1, in G1F7) so the pattern must be a simple cloth and vinyl bench. It looks like the fabric that was used on this car when the seats were redone is far from original, but the sewing patterns looks somewhat close. Pics of the original fabric and sewing pattern can be seen in a period Chrysler ad (from fuselage.de) as well as in a '71 Royal that sold 3 years ago in Ohio and must have had the G1X9 interior.

--> As for the exterior, the body seems very straight and (if I understand correctly) is rust-free, which should help keep the repainting costs way down. Or the buyer could get a new vinyl top and enjoy the "patina" look.

Let us see what happens!

Last edited:
I'm not much of a fender tag numbers guy, but that tag looks pretty empty. And this is surely one of the most spartan '71 Chrysler's built. Not seeing the engine bay or instrument cluster, it appears the only option was the vinyl top? Just look at how plain those door panels are! Armrest, window crank, and lock post, that is all. I love it!

This car does not even have a remote mirror. 2-speed wipers. No A/C. Basic fabric seats. Looks like a radio was the only option (with roof). Rare in that way?

upload_2020-4-25_20-32-16.jpeg

This car does have the manual outside rear view mirror that was standard. The optional power disc brakes are always the way to go and this car has them (B41). It also has an AM radio.

Although this is the lowest line Chrysler, the 360s in these vehicles perform surprisingly well, not quite as well as a 383-4 bbl of course, but at lower speeds around town, it is definitely more peppy than a 383-2 bbl engine and if I had a choice I would prefer the 360-2 in this package over the 383-2 setup. Highway passing would be slower but around town, the 360-2 package was more fun and sporty feeling.

And again, even though this is the low line model, the original seat fabric and trim lines make this seat look more classy than other years/models of Newports. And even the door panels have some woodgrain on them. If I didn't have way too many cars already, I would definitely consider this car because of the colors and vinyl top plus the upscale looking original interior if redone (at least it would look good to me). The grills/front end styling was also one of Chrysler Newports' best among the fuselage models IMO.

Last edited:
The optional power disc brakes are always the way to go and this car has them (B41). (...)
Although this is the lowest line Chrysler, the 360s in these vehicles performs surprisingly well, not quite as well as a 383-4 bbl of course, but at lower speeds around town, it is definitely more peppy than a 383-2 bbl engine and if I had a choice I would prefer the 360-2 in this package over the 383-2 setup. (...)

And again, even though this is the low line model, the seat fabric and trim lines make this seat look more classy than other years/models of Newports. And even the door panels have some woodgrain on them. If I didn't have way too many cars already, I would definitely consider this car because of the colors and vinyl top plus the upscale looking original interior if redone (at least it would look good to me). The grills/front end styling was also one of Chrysler Newports' best among the fuselage models IMO.

Agree on all counts except one: I thought disc brakes were standard on 1971 Chryslers?

Agree on all counts except one: I thought disc brakes were standard on 1971 Chryslers?

Although I rarely see a 71 Chrysler without disc brakes, technically they were optional on Newport, Newport Custom and 300s but were standard on New Yorkers, Town & Countrys and Imperials.

there is one of those posted in the Austin, TX area on one of the FB marketplace sites. It's in Manor, TX. Just a 2-dr body no motor/trans. Looks rough in the pictures but a TX car so probably not too rusty. $500

there is one of those posted in the Austin, TX area on one of the FB marketplace sites. It's in Manor, TX. Just a 2-dr body no motor/trans. Looks rough in the pictures but a TX car so probably not too rusty. $500

Thanks! Here she is. $500 looks like a fair price if not rusty.

94747451_3064142473606693_258512780171149312_o.jpg

94713897_3064142750273332_1084961528412635136_o.jpg

94637607_3064142943606646_2982219209221603328_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back