1971 Plymouth Fury III "Lucille"

71furyIII

Reaction score
I figured I might as well start a timeline on the project/resto of my 71 Fury.

The story behind me getting it is, I went to look at a 1971 New Yorker for my brother (which he ended up buying too) and after talking to the guy for awhile I mentioned that I'd like to get an old project car for myself too. He had asked what I liked and I mentioned that I really would like a 74 monaco, however I also liked the late 60s-early 70s Furys. He mentioned that he had a buddy selling a '71 Fury. Long story short, 2 weeks later I had it on the back of a trailer and was towing it home!

So I started doing routine work, and finding out that she has a mean streak to her and likes to play games with me, I believe that my fury is somehow related to Christine! lol

It is a 1971 Fury III

360/2bbl
79K miles
Factory A/C

Work done so far:
Plugs/Wires/Cap/Rotor
Air Filter
Oil Change
Water Pump/Coolant flush
Alternator x4 (had a hell of time finding one with a correct pulley)
Voltage Regulator
Temp Gauge and sender

Next project is new motors mounts and transmission mount (1 motor mount is cracked)
New Power steering pump
New Starter (the one in it is weak)
I also need to chase down some electrical gremlins that seem to be draining the battery
7/14/2015
Add a carb rebuild and a new a/c compressor

The worst of the rust on it is on the lower rear quarters and the trunk floor. I'll probably also have to replace the hood because the underside is kinda rotten. The paint on it is kind of pooched as well, you can tell that it really wasn't waxed/polished too much but the paint is low on my priority list.

Here is one pic for now, I will upload more later on as I have time

11150914_10153951530918357_1308817309249954572_n.jpg

Last edited:
Goals:
Body work/rust repair
Exterior-Factory Blue paint, bumpers rechromed, and possibly road wheels or a decent aftermarket wheel set (will stay 15")
Interior-new upholstery, headliner, and carpet
Drivetrain-solid for now, maybe true duals and a 4bbl carb

Yup its a sedan. Solid as a rock though from north Dakota guy wanted to sell it to some derby guys. The guy Also had just sold a 68 Newport 4 door sedan to them for $350.00 what a shame that was!!!

Both my Fury and my brother's new yorker were destined to be derby cars if they weren't sold in a timely fashion. I attached a pic of the new yorker when we brought it home, his the body/interior is in a lot better shape, mine the drive train is in a lot better shape. unnamed.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Awesome!! Glad to see more people saving these before derby guys get ahold of them... Should be illegal to derby these classics!!

IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0045.jpg

Besides the compressor, also add a carb rebuild...The choke is sticking like mad and even after the spray carb/choke cleaner it's still not as good as it should be..

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

The pillarless 4 doors are neat cars, thanks for saving it.

I ran the fender tag through the decoder:

PM43:
Plymouth Fury
Medium
4 Door Hardtop

K1F: Unknown
Newark, DE, USA

219872: Sequence number

E57: 360 cid 2 barrel V8 255hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
OB2: Light Blue Poly Exterior Color
M4B2: Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Unknown Color