1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT Brogham & U code Super Comando

My favorite car as far as member's Projects are concerned I guess. The rarest Kind of "Hurst" in existence. ;)

Great to see all the progress, Paul is really moving along! Brings back memories to see the car up on the rotisserie. What's with the double wall gas tank? I don't remember seeing that before on a CBody. Can't wait till May.

Great to see all the progress, Paul is really moving along! Brings back memories to see the car up on the rotisserie. What's with the double wall gas tank? I don't remember seeing that before on a CBody. Can't wait till May.
That's the mat the factory used between the top of the tank and the underside of the trunk floor pan.

1014151827b_resized.jpg

That's the mat the factory used between the top of the tank and the underside of the trunk floor pan.

1014151827b_resized.jpg

I think, Stan, that this comment is referring to the decal on the top of the tank in a previous photo that mentions an inner tank that can be drained separate from the main tank. This was probably a California vehicle originally, that had to comply with more strict evaporative emission standards than the rest of the U.S. The purpose of the inner small fuel tank was to better condense the vapors inside the main tank, and the unit you see on top (outside) of the tank in the photo was mounted in the kickup just above and just forward the main tank itself. Not many have seen these, but having some California cars, I am used to seeing this in 1971. They also had crankcase storage of fuel vapors, which was another bad idea. Going to charcoal vapor canisters to collect and purge these emissions was a much better way to go, as Chrysler did in 1972 I believe, or no later than 1973 for sure.

@Fury440 and CanCritter, you both are very lucky to have the opportunity for this craftsman rebuild your cars. Wondering, how does Paul schedule this work? Did you get on a waiting list? Does he do more than one at a time? Is this his hobby too, or is it "what he does"? I'm only asking because I'm curious, I could never afford this kind of workmanship, but we are all benefitting from the detailed photos and updates, thanks to you both.

*&^%%*^&*&....l hate people that dont keep thier word....
Paul called Preformance Graphics to make arrangements for my GT decals only to be told they were withdrawing thier services because they were to hard....all this after numourous phone conversations with owner...no prob he said....
good grief...to hard?..Realy?......got same responce from Pheniox Graphics even though they advertise them on thier site.....bloody shoemakers.....
guess its up to two ole coots to show them how its done....

The diffrence between a journeyman and a shoemaker is 1/16 of a inch.....

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/CanCritter/media/1026151559b_resized.jpg.html

Balls to you, man!!!!!!!
Freaking people out there live to make you insane.

Performance Graphics.
Everybody remember it.

@Fury440 and CanCritter, you both are very lucky to have the opportunity for this craftsman rebuild your cars. Wondering, how does Paul schedule this work? Did you get on a waiting list? Does he do more than one at a time? Is this his hobby too, or is it "what he does"? I'm only asking because I'm curious, I could never afford this kind of workmanship, but we are all benefitting from the detailed photos and updates, thanks to you both.

This is Pauls hobby...he made a buissness out of it with his workmanship...hes liveing my dream
all Pauls work is word of mouth and hes very picky about who he deals with and projects he dose...lm the same way...some of us are funny that way

as to being able to afford this type of detail...well for Bill it was the fact that he bought his 70 440 fury convert new and has a history with his family so at that point he wants to be able to pass it on to his family at some point

Me...no clue why lm doing what lm doing other than l realize just how rare this GT is especialy in the color combinations ect...find another..
catch myself wondering wth...could buy basicly any muscle car l want...and a decent fishing boat+ for what this is gona cost me but it was never about the coin...it was the car....
l afford it by working every single day most of the year due to my buiss and its requirments...hard work can get you ahead...sometimes you gotta bite the bullet

More shiny stuff to distract you. Now back to work.

l keep trying to get my butt thrown offa job site so l can go home and have a break but safety guy aint buyin it...belive lm screwed till end of nov....no complaints if it gits me shiney stuff.....

Those bumpers turned out really nice! You need to get off your butt and take a run down to Paul's. BTW I was talking to Paul the other day and he said he would load about 400 pictures on a stick and mail it to me. I'll upload then to your photo account as soon as they arrive. That will give you some car **** to occupy your evenings. LOL

thanx Bill..cant wait.....bring on the car **** .......off to work l go.......

I could buy basicly any muscle car l want...and a decent fishing boat+ for what this is gona cost me but it was never about the coin...it was the car....
l afford it by working every single day most of the year due to my buiss and its requirments...hard work can get you ahead...sometimes you gotta bite the bullet

Truer words never spoken. In most C bodys your probably upside down from the start, (unless you buy one already done, whats the fun in that.....?). Jazabelles my example of over indulgence, I stopped counting a long time ago and it will never end as long as I'm the caretaker of her.
I've now found myself in the same scenario with a vintage camper. One upgrade leads to another.

Fact is that the pleasure derived from the project and the use of the vehicles far outweighs the monetary cost. As much fun as we have gotten from Jazabelle, I could give her away and still be ahead.

As much fun as we have gotten from Jazabelle, I could give her away and still be ahead.

I'll take you up on that! :poke:

I hope to one day have the same feeling. I was just talking to a friend about my engine build and he referred to it as a Sunday driver. I replied:

[FONT=&amp]"The point of this build is not just a Sunday driver, it really has to make it across country and back. The dream is 36 states in three weeks. I have goals. I want the image of the United States created in refrigerator magnets on the trunk lid, and a photo of the car pulling a vintage airstream through a redwood tree (I’ll rent one). I need photos of the sunset on the western rim of the Grand Canyon and park on the “Four Corners” (that covers four states all at once). It needs to cruise the Pacific Coast Highway from the golden Gate to Disneyland. The bumper will have the classic sticker “This Car Climbed Mt Washington” right next to “Nixon-Agnew in ‘72”. All the while, listening to the Craig 8 track I just picked up for $3 at the local thrift store (in the original box no-less). My youngest keeps telling me, “Don’t’ let you dreams just be dreams!” So, not just a driver, an experience….."

[/FONT]
Cost aside, I don't think I'd be happy with a trailer queen.

Back