1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT, what's it worth?

Here is what I've done. Figure the cost to buy a replacement car and bring it up to the same condition as your car is currently. The second consideration is what you car is worth in the market today. In my case there are few high-quality fuselage convertibles in OEM condition, the costs to restore is way up due to inflation. Do the math and I'm at 38000.00 to45000.00. to replace mine. The premiums are fairly reasonable w/ my daily driver figured in w/ provision rider to retain possession w/ minimum buy back costs.

Here is what I've done. Figure the cost to buy a replacement car and bring it up to the same condition as your car is currently. The second consideration is what you car is worth in the market today. In my case there are few high-quality fuselage convertibles in OEM condition, the costs to restore is way up due to inflation. Do the math and I'm at 38000.00 to45000.00. to replace mine. The premiums are fairly reasonable w/ my daily driver figured in w/ provision rider to retain possession w/ minimum buy back costs.
Reviving a 2016 thread to diss someone's car? Even if you meant the post as a joke, that's not nice.

PS: you're a bit late for buying PP23U1D183165 -- this 1971 U-code SFGT changed hands in 2020.
Hagerty insures all my collector vehicles. Even Virgil during the restoration period, even though the car is not road worthy. All my parts and labor costs are covered at a reduced rate. All I have to do is inform Hagerty when he's finished to add collision.

Another little known feature Hagerty offers is "cherished salvage" coverage.
Should your collector car be a total loss than you have the option to keep it once you receive the payoff. I benefitted from that with the Admiral. The extra cost for that coverage was about $20.00 over the regular premium.
Yes, I was on the other end of the 2020 transaction for this SFGT

I really want to stay away from a public "critique" of my SFGT (or ANY members' stuff for that matter .. unless asked, and then privately to the owner IF I see something different than owner does). Plus, I still am NOT in the habit of rock-throwing at peoples' stuff .. as we have seen here sometimes.

Views about HOW we insure our stuff is very useful.

I find @ayilar, @david hill, and @bluefury361 comments helpful. I will say i have a variety of insurance coverages on the "fleet".

Most is "agreed-upon" value coverage for individual cars, and various other property/casualty "riders" because of the collection. On this SFGT, I do not have it insured for above $40K. It isnt a trailer gueen .. but it is "real" and there ain't many left.

It is insured for what I have in it, plus what I have done to make it better (e.g., I put new vinyl roof on the SFGT since I got it)-- as a "proxy" for determining "replacement value" that I can defend with hard economic data.

Still this conversation has made me think about the methods I have used to "value" my stuff for past 40 years.

Any event, I am happy with it. we all know what @Wollfen did to bring that one back as its well document here.

There's stuff to work on .. but a "#1" car is not/never was my plan. A rare, cool, highly original drive it anywhere old "C" .. that's what I got and what I like. And Kip's Salon has a roommate.

BUT .. shoulda got that very valuable animal in the deal .. alas I let Gary get away with that Darn Cat :poke:

1643388059098.png

Last edited:
Back