1971 Polara 2 door Hardtop.

With Volo less then a week away, I changed my focus to Minnesota. I have a few things that have been bothering me since I got the car I want to fix. Fuel gauge and rear axle bearings were at the top of the list and probably the dirtiest and biggest pain to get done. So thats where I started tonight. Before spending the $100 for the new stuff from dr diff, I wanted to be sure it was the outer bearings and not in the carrier itself. With that being the case I got it up in the air, pulled the axles and I was sure they were the culprit. Not very much grease and very loose. I took my floor jack and impact out to the Monaco and pop the wheels and drums off and pull its axles. Bingo. Recently replaced and still had fresh looking grease still green in color. I repacked the bearings on the Monacos axles, put them in the Polara, and adjusted the endplay. The Polaras axles went into the Monaco to keep it a roller.

One issue fixed.

After that I got the car on the ground and jacked it up to pull the tank. I would have done this with a trans Jack while on the lift. If I had one. Also I was thinking with the undetermined amount of fuel, the closer to the ground the better. Got the tank out without breaking the J bolts. I had the Broughams good ones on hand if needed but I lucked out. I got the old sending unit out easily and Yeah I would say it was the culprit... Popped in the new sender and gasket. Re using the old lock ring as instructed. Replaced all the lines and cleaned up the ground strap. Took it and filled up and went for a 30 min ride out by the Belvidere Plant and back. Axle is quiet as can be. Fuel gauge works. On to the next project tomorrow. Match the door and igniton locks, Change Speedo cable out, look into blower switch/radio, and deep cleaning/detail

I started cleaning up the hood and tops of the fenders Friday night. They have never shined since I've owned the car. Considering the paint is thin and dead any way, it wouldn't matter if I messed up. I took some soapy water and a scotch brite and wet sanded it lightly to remove the heavy oxidation. Then using some compound and polish with a buffer and foam pad I made a few passes and this is the final result. Not too shabby. Much better until I start bodywork.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1529284478806.jpg_1529284481266.jpeg

Snapchat-419828859.jpg

Snapchat-1376143919.jpg

Snapchat-357084193.jpg

20180615_232903.jpg

20180615_233003.jpg

20180616_152840.jpg

Last edited:
Why not? I've got one named Missouri .....:D
I was halfway through the post before I figured out you meant the car. I thought you were taking a trip up here before this weekend. With your drive and determination, I wouldn't be surprised.

Back