1971 Sport Fury GT

jdtpumps

Reaction score
I am restoring this 1971 Sport Fury GT. I will need help in many areas. Does anyone know the correct color or paint code to paint the wheels? I believe they are silver, but I'm not sure if they're a special silver or not. Are the lug nuts special chrome or are they standard? I have a NOS grille but I do not have NOS headlamp doors. Does anyone have a set? Do they make reproduction stripes for this car? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I am also interested in buying other 71 Sport Furys or Sport Fury GTs.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

Very very cool car JD I am hoping that i will have a 70 model GT soon, we could probably get together and share info helping each other out. As for the rim color, it should be argent silver and the chrome on the lug nuts is normal. Also i do know there is a mob making reproduction stripes now, Phoenix Graphix, here is the link,
http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/p-d.php#fury_gt The 71 page is down at the moment but it cant hurt to send em an email to find out if they have any in stock, cheers.

Thanks, I actually bought that car in NC from the original owner

Im not sure what the exact shape of the acorn chrome lug nuts are but there are plenty available on ebay cheap, i guess just a matter of picking the style you like best. Just put in "mopar chrome lug nuts" to see a variety.

Hi JD,

the 71 SFGT had special wheels which were SFGT only. Different to the 1970 version.
Check out Dan C.s 71 Promo SFGT he has got currently for sale some of the correct caps for the wheels are installed on the car.

Here they are in the 71 brochure, they got something like a special trim ring

http://www.fuselage.de/ply71/71ply04b.jpg

A friend used the stripes from http://performancecargraphics.com/ and was very satisfied !

Carsten

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Great car, look forward to seeing more of it.
was the dark argent used in '71 C-bodies as it was on the B & E bodies?

Thanks, I am a B body guy and my dad always had Chryslers, thus the sudden attraction to 71 Sport Furys. I am just a Mopar Junkie

Nice project car and welcome aboard. What is the condition of the 440? I stand to be corrected but I thought that the regular Road Wheel were also available in 71 for Fury GTs?

Nice project car and welcome aboard. What is the condition of the 440? I stand to be corrected but I thought that the regular Road Wheel were also available in 71 for Fury GTs?
Yes, I love projects as long as they are original. The motor runs great although it will be rebuilt.

Very cool car...Congrats on the acquisition!! What is the color of the stripes...black or white? The 71 SFGT graphics is one of my favorite set up on any mopar.

I thought the whhels were the same with a different trim ring and center cap.. ...

Welcome to the board.

WELCOME.

Now that is a lil gem you got.
Seems a lot of guys come here first now when they find their first gem.
Smart move.

Actually, if those wheels are the same base wheel as the W23 Class II 16 Slot wheels on my '70 Monaco Brougham, the center area is the argent silver, the slotted area is chrome, with the outer rim (covered by the trim ring, normally) in black (with the rear of the wheel being black, too). You can find the 1970-71 Chrysler Parts Manual at www.mymopar.com, click on the "Tools and Reference" link on the lh, then on the Parts Manual link on that page. When you get the parts book downloaded, you can navigate through it to the wheel section (page 22-4), where you should find everything you'll need to know what was what. Looks like a different center cap applique and also a special trim ring, as the sales brouchure illustrates.

The wheels should be 15x6 in size. Chrome lug nuts are "solid". It was not unusual for the factory lug nuts to have broken chrome on the edges of the flats, due to wrench contact. They'd actually break and peel back, with time. Seems like there were some aftermarket lug nuts which were "reasonable facsimile", but a little taller? Should be all rh-thread on your '71.

From looking at the part numbers and such, it might be that the Plymouth SFGT wheels were all black, as the trim piece will cover the wheel, as something like a multi-piece wheel cover, so no need for any chromed area (as the normal trim ring wheels had).

The BIG question might be . . . is it the orig 440 4bbl?

Those were neat cars and low production cars. Certainly enough there to justify putting it back "right"! Good luck on your project!

CBODY67

Back