Reaction score
Contact seller
1971 Chrysler Imperial Two Door Hardtop for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-984664
upload_2017-5-19_12-45-50.jpeg

upload_2017-5-19_13-5-9.jpeg

upload_2017-5-19_13-5-52.jpeg

upload_2017-5-19_13-7-21.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my favorite Imperials, 1971 two door. It would be nice to know how many miles are on it in those 36 years. Too bad the previous owner had to mess with the instrument panel, but it seems there is nothing that can't be pretty easily fixed. Not too keen on the fact that a dealer has the car. I doubt the dealer paid anything close to $11K for it, but it is probably worth close to that if it is as nice as it looks.

I'm not keen on the wheels or the tacky 'custom' touches.

Gesswein picks these cars up out of estates.... mostly local stuff. This car he probably gave $3-$4 grand and the fact this is his Chrysler dealership, he's got the space, parts and technicians, (body & paint ect) to get 'em looking good! He prices everything 2-3 times what they're probably worth. This car probably $6500-$7500 tops!

By the way, this car was on CR for quite a while...interior has some modifications.

Gesswein picks these cars up out of estates.... mostly local stuff. This car he probably gave $3-$4 grand and the fact this is his Chrysler dealership, he's got the space, parts and technicians, (body & paint ect) to get 'em looking good! He prices everything 2-3 times what they're probably worth. This car probably $6500-$7500 tops!

And how long have they been doing that? I've been an Internet surfer for over 20 years now and he was there when I first learned to turn on a computer

So .. the pie tin. If including that in the photo was intended to strengthen my trust in the ongoing upkeep of that vehicle, that intention tanked miserably.

Factory Buckets with 'Eagle' debossed in headrest: very clean. Rattle can satin black engine bay with Orange? air cleaner: very wrong. Fender Tag will reveal Factory paint color. Still a bargain semi-survivor (dash excepted) for $10K?! this is why I may never restore my TX9 '71

Polara'71: I don't understand your question! My point was he prices the cars very high and then in most cases sits on them for years! He has several that have been for sale at least 5+ years.... anyway, this one will be on the market for a while!

Simply asking how long have they been in the business of selling " old or classic" cars

A few years ago I passed on buying a decent 55 Imperial sedan from a private party. The same imperial showed up for sale on Gessweins website at three and a half times the price and sans its pristine horn ring.
Gesswein is running a for profit business I understand, but to me he is a crook.

No comments on Gesswein, but the car is nice. Needs a little freshening up, but nothing major. The dash needs attention, and those hideous wire wheel covers would have to go. Otherwise it seems to be a solid one. Very desirable.

They let the cars sit on their lot for years and years. Most are way overpriced. They do have a very good detailer that brings out the best in each car. Similar to Stan''s buddy Lash. I wouldn't buy a car from them unless it was the only car on the planet and I had to have it. So far....nothing I want.

He's been in business (dealership) for 25+ years. I don't think a person minds paying a little premium after the seller replaces a few belts, gas filter, plugs/wires, ect., and touch up the paint, a stitch or two of a seam on the seats and so on....but not 200-300%!!

Simply asking how long have they been in the business of selling " old or classic" cars
Dave I know this isn't giving you the exact answer you're looking for... from their "about us" on their website.
"
For the last 50 years, Gesswein Motors of Milbank, SD has been one of the largest Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram dealers in Northeast South Dakota.

With 29 years of Five Star Service, we strive to offer our customers the largest variety of new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs and crossovers in one single location. The 2017 model year is here and whehter you are looking for a Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Patriot, Compass, Renegade or Wrangler in the Jeep line up. Ram 1500, Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 and Dodge Caravan, Journey, Durango, Challenger, and Charger. For the Chrysler line up we have the State of the Art "Totally New" Chrysler Pacifica, the 300 and the 200. We are sure that you will find the right vehicle for your family right here in Milbank, South Dakota. We also serve the communities of Watertown, Big Stone City, Webster, Sisseton, Wilmont, Clear Lake, South Shore, South Dakota. In Minnesota we serve Ortonville, Canby, Gracesville, Wheaton, Clinton, Morris, Montevideo and Madision. Our primary goal is to provide our customers with a pleasant buying experience while maintaining their trust through excellent after sale customer service.

Stop in or contact us today so you can see what we can do for you!
"

The original seller of the white 2 door 74 Imperial in MN (I had to pass on twice so far :BangHead:) claimed to have a contact who was scouring the middle American countryside for parts and often sold to, or was employed by Gesswein.

It has been my understanding that they do occasionally sell a car, mostly to the overseas folks. I also hear they do a decent job of prettying them up.

From my observations I personally suspect 2 things are happening there. First this is a family business (look at the number of Gesswein's who run the place) so this seem's to me to be the old man's car collection operated as a tax write off (probably a smart idea). Second, by looking at all of the advertising (see my first theory), I truly believe they/he actively try to establish the value for any price hunter's that are using the internet as a resource.

This seems about right... from NADA:

1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham
4 Door Hardtop

low $2,250 average $4,050 high $7,150

From Collector Car Market Review:

1976 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 440-205hp (8cyl-4V) AT

Brougham 4dr Hardtop #5 $625 #4 $1750 #3 $4500 #2 $7175 #1 $10725

Gesswein starts at the top number and then doubles it in their Formal inventory. If I were a lottery winner, I might fly out with my checkbook... but from where I sit now, those cars are lost/unavailable at least until the next generation takes over and the old man is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back