1972 360 Cam Gear

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I was looking at a 1972 fury in North Carolina with 360 V-8. The car is overpriced, but that’s not my question. I had a 1973 Dodge Monaco with a 400 and the nylon plastic tooth cam gear sprocket. At about 131,000 miles, all the teeth let go on the cam gear, which left me stranded on the side of the highway and with an oil pan full of cam gear teeth pieces. I bought a 1969 383 Dodge Monaco, where the same thing had happened and the car was off the road. I’m just wondering if a 1972 360 V-8 cam gear has those nylon plastic type teeth, which make the engine a timing chain timebomb, waiting to break down at the most inopportune moment. So, did the 1972 360 have the nylon teeth on the stock OEM cam gear? If so, when did Chrysler finally get rid of this type of cam gear? Thanks Ben
Pic of 1973 Monaco, post-repair, wish I'd never sold it.
DSCN2063.JPG

Pretty sure all engines had the nylon cam gears that era. And yes, good idea to replace it when you can. Nice 72 Monaco! BTW I have your antenna sitting in my room....

OK, so the 318 in my 1970 Fury needs a double roller timing chain set with metal gears (if I keep it in the car) and if I buy a 72 360, it would need same. I can't believe Chrysler didn't figure out to get rid of those F'g nylon tooth gears until 1992. Someone should have known that minimal silencing wasn't worth loss of long-tern reliability. The good news with the 400 was that it was a non-interference motor, so no bent valves or push rods. Still, I had to get the cam sync'd with the crank, put the front of the engine back together, then drop the steering linkage, the exhaust, and then the oil pan. Plus, I think I had to disconnect the motor mounts and lift the engine to get enough room to clean the pan rails above the stub frame. What a job! I was pissed at Chrysler for those GD nylon gear teeth.

I had a timing belt let go at the front of a 3.5 V6 in a 1993 Dodge Intrepid, but even with timing 2 overhead cams and dealing with a timing belt tensioner trying to throw everything off, the job still wasn't as much of a PITA as the timing chain and gears on the 400.

When you do replace the timing gear set on a small block engine use the new magnum timing chain tensioner. Bolts right it place and works great for the next 150, 000 miles.

Pontiac also used the nylon gear. They typically had to be changed between 60-80,000 miles depending on how hard you drove the car and depending on if it was a 4-speed or automatic. Changed several in my time.

Love the 71-74 Javelins

You mean like this? LOL My brother's original 1972 Javelin SST Pierre Cardin edition - 401CI, auto, Wild Plum color, Pierre Cardin upholstery, special badging, trunk luggage rack, 15" road wheels, AC, and a few other options.

The green is a 1973 Javelin which he rebuilt/added the 401CI. It already had the AMX hood with cold air air cleaner set-up, rear spoiler, and 15" road wheels. Hood and air cleaner will be put on the '72 car.

01  1972 Javlin SST.JPG

02 1972 Javelin SST.JPG

1973 Javelin.JPG

You mean like this? LOL My brother's original 1972 Javelin SST Pierre Cardin edition - 401CI, auto, Wild Plum color, Pierre Cardin upholstery, special badging, trunk luggage rack, 15" road wheels, AC, and a few other options.

The green is a 1973 Javelin which he rebuilt/added the 401CI. It already had the AMX hood with cold air air cleaner set-up, rear spoiler, and 15" road wheels. Hood and air cleaner will be put on the '72 car.

View attachment 159798

View attachment 159799

View attachment 159800
Yes, exactly what I am talking about and 401's YEAH!!!

Pontiac also used the nylon gear. They typically had to be changed between 60-80,000 miles depending on how hard you drove the car and depending on if it was a 4-speed or automatic. Changed several in my time.
What years for Pontiac?
I had a 67 GTO that I put a 455 in (orig motor was long gone). It was a motor out of a 71 Grandville. I believe it was W code HP motor. Code matched a Judge. Dumb luck junkyard find. Don't remember nylon teeth, but it was 30 years ago. Another car I wish I hadn't sold.

What years for Pontiac?
I had a 67 GTO that I put a 455 in (orig motor was long gone). It was a motor out of a 71 Grandville. I believe it was W code HP motor. Code matched a Judge. Dumb luck junkyard find. Don't remember nylon teeth, but it was 30 years ago. Another car I wish I hadn't sold.
Not 100% sure but I bet it was nylon

. The good news with the 400 was that it was a non-interference motor, so no bent valves or push rods. Still, I had to get the cam sync'd with the crank, put the front of the engine back together, then drop the steering linkage, the exhaust, and then the oil pan. Plus, I think I had to disconnect the motor mounts and lift the engine to get enough room to clean the pan rails above the stub frame
You should not have to pull the pan on a big block. Just get the fel-pro timing set gasket kit has a section of oil pan gasket for the front. Small block is a crap shoot but you should still be able to get the timing cover off and on without disturbing the pan.
believe it was W code HP motor. Code matched a Judge
I would bet it had at least a silent type with steel/iron gears if it was coded HP
The green is a 1973 Javelin which he rebuilt/added the 401CI. It already had the AMX hood with cold air air cleaner set-up, rear spoiler, and 15" road wheels. Hood and air cleaner will be put on the '72 car
Bulge fender Javelin's, one of my favorites.:thumbsup:

What years for Pontiac?

The cam sprocket was aluminum with nylon covered teeth used in the '60's engines. The 1971 and later engines used a steel gear doing away with the nylon gear.

Back