1972 Chrysler Newport Dash Light and Warning Buzzer Problem

Henrius

Reaction score
My Newport has a buzzer that is supposed to sound when the headlights are left on and the ignition is turned off

Lately the buzzer goes off anytime the headlights are on and the car is being driven. I don't know if it is related, but none of the instrument panel lights function anymore. Could these two problems be related? What could be the cause? Barring any explanation, I might try replacing the headlight switch, although it has been replaced twice in the life of the car.

I sounds like you could have an open ground circuit to the panel lights and the most like culprit is the light switch or the thumb wheel for the panel circuit. Try turning up the dimmer wheel until the dome light comes on. If that stops the buzzer the resistance coil in the panel dimmer is probably bad especially if the panel lights come on. www.mymopar.com should have the wiring diagram so you can check the circuit routing to see if the buzzer and panel lights are wired to a common ground.

Dave

Pretty much right above the steering column, on the recess above the speedometer, where the instrument panel light "bank" is, there's a Phillips head screw that goes into a metal strap that disappears "somewhere". THAT metal strap is the ground strap for the bank of 194 bulbs which shine ONTO the instrument panel/gauges. Tighten that screw and the ground circuit for those lights will be reliable again. If the screw is missing, you can probably use one of the other similar screws to replace it temporarily. Had that problem with our '72 Newport Royal. The lights would go out sporadically, until I discovered that screw and the ground strap and tightened it up. These things are invisible as you sit in the driver's seat.

If that does not work, then you might try moving the panel light rheostat back and forth some to possibly clean the contacts in the headlight switch. Possibly a fuse for the panel lights, too?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The lamps and the buzzer should be seperate problems. Make sure your door switches are working properly, as this completes the circuit to operate the buzzer.
Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 11.52.28 AM.png

Also check your 5 amp fuse for the instrument lights. Power feeds through the headlamp switch to the dimmer, then to the fuse, then to the lights. The fuse block terminal should have a variable voltage (dependant on dimmer position) when the headlamp switch is in the "park" or "headlamp" position.

Last edited:
The headlight warning buzzer circuit is supposed to be powered by the the light switch in the on position. With the door open, the ground is completed by the door switch to energize the buzzer. Since you have a buzzer with the light switch off, there still is power to the buzzer, that suggests that the light switch is bad or there is a harness short someplace. My money is on the light switch since you also have dash light problems. Something is probably broken inside the switch. You can test this theory by unplugging the light switch, if the buzzer goes silent it has to be the switch.

Dave

Back