1972 Chrysler Sunroof *Help Needed*

NWPT70

Reaction score
Hey guys ,

My 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Coupe has a factory sunroof that does not currently operate. It seems like the problem is either a faulty switch, no power, or a dead motor. I figure this because when I toggle the switch nothing happens.

I also noticed the sunroof is not fully seated in the closed position and when I give the car a wash water seeps through the headliner.

My question is, what is the best way to approach trouble shooting this sunroof? Must the headliner be fully removed to access the motor/mechanism? Is there a fuse I can check? Also do these sunroofs have drainage tubes like modern cars that I can check to see if they are clogged? Are there any tricks to getting these not to leak?

I do know these factory sunroof cars are a rarity but I am looking for someone with some experience on them to chime in.

Any info would help!

Thanks

01717_25H6fSMRKQ8_1200x900 (1).jpg

Kingbowl - just replied to your PM that you sent me. Yes, these roofs have drain tubes - one on each corner - that run down the A pillars and the C pillars. If water is coming through the headliner, then some or all of these tubes are clogged, and/or, your seals are so bad that too much water is making it into the drain pan area that the tubes cannot keep up. Access to the motor is through the front part of the headliner - and you have to be careful with the foam piece that is right in front of the sunroof opening - it is glued in place and becomes brittle over time. Best option for testing the motor is to find the wires that come directly from the motor and go through the driver's kick panel area. I think its the same wire harness that the power windows use if you have them. You also might try and pull the toggle switch out of the headliner and bypass it to take it out of the equation. Hopefully between this and my PM - you can get a start on troubleshooting your roof. Good Luck!
Scott.

Kingbowl - just replied to your PM that you sent me. Yes, these roofs have drain tubes - one on each corner - that run down the A pillars and the C pillars. If water is coming through the headliner, then some or all of these tubes are clogged, and/or, your seals are so bad that too much water is making it into the drain pan area that the tubes cannot keep up. Access to the motor is through the front part of the headliner - and you have to be careful with the foam piece that is right in front of the sunroof opening - it is glued in place and becomes brittle over time. Best option for testing the motor is to find the wires that come directly from the motor and go through the driver's kick panel area. I think its the same wire harness that the power windows use if you have them. You also might try and pull the toggle switch out of the headliner and bypass it to take it out of the equation. Hopefully between this and my PM - you can get a start on troubleshooting your roof. Good Luck!
Scott.

This is the reply I was looking for! Thank you. I will begin and report back.

Don't remove the entire headliner! Remove the windshield surrounds and carefully unhook the front of the headliner only, maybe a bit on the sides and let it drop. This will allow access to the motor. Before you do that though, did you check the relay? It's in the drivers side kick panel, there is no fuse. Did you pop the round cap and try the override? To check if it operates mechanically?

Don't remove the entire headliner! Remove the windshield surrounds and carefully unhook the front of the headliner only, maybe a bit on the sides and let it drop. This will allow access to the motor. Before you do that though, did you check the relay? It's in the drivers side kick panel, there is no fuse. Did you pop the round cap and try the override? To check if it operates mechanically?

@3C's & a D? Thank you for your additional advice. I have not checked either but I now know what I will be checking. I definitely would like to test if it operates mechanically with the over ride. Can you go further into details how I can go about this? I would like to know more on how this over ride works.

@3C's & a D? Thank you for your additional advice. I have not checked either but I now know what I will be checking. I definitely would like to test if it operates mechanically with the over ride. Can you go further into details how I can go about this? I would like to know more on how this over ride works.

Under the cap there should be a fitting that looks like a gear, or the male end of a manual window crank. You attach a handle to this (window crank) to turn the mechanism manually. I would be very careful and gentle, these are pot-metal pieces that may not have moved in decades.

Hopefully someone has copied the OEM instructions to the Internet (or perhaps they are in the owners manual). Don't be shy about searching for info on Ford/GM sites.. in the early days of sunroofs there was just one supplier that all 3 (4?) US companies used; American Sunroof Corporation (ASC).

Under the cap there should be a fitting that looks like a gear, or the male end of a manual window crank. You attach a handle to this (window crank) to turn the mechanism manually. I would be very careful and gentle, these are pot-metal pieces that may not have moved in decades.

Hopefully someone has copied the OEM instructions to the Internet (or perhaps they are in the owners manual). Don't be shy about searching for info on Ford/GM sites.. in the early days of sunroofs there was just one supplier that all 3 (4?) US companies used; American Sunroof Corporation (ASC).

Thanks for chiming in. This is great info. Is this "cap" under the headliner?

There should be a round cap with matching headliner material between the sunroof and windshield. Heads up, last one (only the second ever) I removed was full of oil which leaked from the motor. Pull it straight down with a rag underneath it.
WP_20170629_12_11_02_Pro.jpg

Thanks again! I was able to successfully open and close the sunroof manually via this method. While I had it opened I cleaned out the tracked, used some white lithium grease to lube them up , I also made sure all my drained were cleared. I will be testing the motor circuit next.

I am curious what purpose do the washers on the screw that was removed serve for? Do they have to do with the adjustments mentioned earlier in the thread?

Also , I would like to mention that when my rood is closed the rear side of the sunroof does not seat fully closed. Only the front side seats closed nicely. Will this be resolved by an adjustment?

I would suggest getting a Factory Service Manual for the car. I'm sure it's probably an adjustment and the manual should tell you how.

I've never had that issue however as mentioned in the text I provided (sorry if it can't be magnified) you need to keep track of the number of washers removed, add or subtract? number to adjust closing position.

The sunroof service manual can be found on my Sunroof Registry site:
www.moparsunroofregistry.com
It is found under the Documentation menu.

There are little gizmos at the end of the cables that pop the back end of the sunroof up flush with the roof. Some adjustment of the cables or that gizmo/actuator/whatever its called is needed to get the roof to come up flush.

Scott.

Can you post a picture of what the relay looks like? Or what color wires typically are found connecting to it?

Back