1972 Fury Motormounts 360 -> 440

Tony Mopar

Reaction score
I'm in the process of engine swapping a 1975 440 engine into a 1972 360 Fury.

I'm told that the 360 mounts on the LA engine are the same as on a 440. But i'm a bit confused by the term "Motor or engine mounts". Are both mounts named motormounts?
1. The mounts that are on the block - Engine or motor mounts
2. The mounts that are on the chassis of the car - Car Mounts or brackets?

Now I'm told that the mounts on the 360LA block - The Engine Mounts - are the same as the mounts that are on the 440RB block. So no need to get separte 440RB Engine Mounts as the mounts that are on my 360LA will bolt right up to the 440RB.

Then the Car Mounts or brackets: I'm told that all Fury Models - from 69 thru 73 - all use the same Car Mounts - Small and Bigblocks.

I need to confirm this. Im reading alot and most user say that all mounts will fit but everyone still seems to buy engine mounts....So im confused here.
Can someone please enlighten me? :)

Motor mounts typically refer to the rubber mount between the engine side motor mount bracket and the frame side motor mount bracket.

A '75 440 is going to have spool type mounts so you will have to change the brackets on the 440 to the 65 - 72 style (non-spool) style mounts.

Recommend that you buy quality motor mounts and use some type of reinforced mount on the left/driver's side mount as the standard rubber mounts tend to break over time from the torque of the engine, which could result in your fan hitting the fan shroud and the air cleaner hitting the under side of the hood.

Hope that this is helpful.

The info you have on the car is correct. The brackets on the car side are welded to the stub frame and are the same for small and big block cars 1966-73, so you don't need to worry about that part of the equation.

You'll need all new stuff for the engine side. Many people are pleased with the Dynatech mounts, so that's what I am going to recommend. 440 Source has everything you need:

Engine Support-440 Source

These three items are all you'll need:

440 source.JPG

Jeff

Thank you FURYGT for your information. All info is welcome!

And a big thank you to Bigmoparjeff for taking the time to help me out here! So in short: The welded part on the chassis stays. On the 440 engine, I bolt on the 119-1000 Engine support brackets from 440source and between these brackets and the brackets that are welded on my chassis, goes the 116-1000 Dynatech mounts, also from 440 source.

Is this correct?

I did not know that between the welded brackets on the chassis and the brackets that are mounted onto the engine (119-1000) , there is another component, like the Dynatech engine mounts.

Correct.

The Dynatech, or any other make of the biscuit mount gets attached the the engine side brackets, then the engine side brackets are bolted to the engine. Lastly, the engine is dropped in and the long bolt that attaches the biscuit part to the frame mounts is installed.

Of course, you'll likely need a trans mount too, but that's no big deal. I recommend the Prothane poly mount that you can get on ebay from multiple sellers in black or red.

Prothane 4-1603 Transmission Mount Kit | eBay

s-l500.jpg

Jeff

That clarified it all for me! Big thumbs up for the help here!

There are some more questions regarding the oil pan. Perhaps you also have knowledge about that too: I have the 933 oilpan - without the indent - and some say it will fit, just like the 187 pan, but others say it will not fit because there is no indent. Do you also have more info on that?

IMG_1036.JPG

Just one more bit of information for you. The transmission behind your 360 is a 727A, you will need a 727B to bolt up behind your 440. The bell housings are different between the two transmissions.

Thank you traintech sir, all information is must appriciated!

I also have a brand new 727 Bigblock trans so that will be bolted on to my 440. My current 360LA engine has the 904 transmission behind it, so I need to get rid of that anyway.

IMG_0944.JPG

Thank you traintech sir, all information is must appriciated!

I also have a brand new 727 Bigblock trans so that will be bolted on to my 440. My current 360LA engine has the 904 transmission behind it, so I need to get rid of that anyway.

View attachment 391524
904 to 727?? I may be wrong but I'm thinking they're different lengths so you'll likely need to shorten your driveshaft also.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanx for your replies guys!

I'm aware that i need to adjust the driveshaft. That will be no problem. I already have the correct yoke for the transmission. Thanx for pointing that out to me.

904 to 727?? I may be wrong but I'm thinking they're different lengths so you'll likely need to shorten your driveshaft also.

Anyone know for sure?
Yep, 727 transmission is longer. If you can get hold of a parts book it will give you the correct length for your engine, transmission, and rear axle combination.

Im trying to get that book but untill now, with no succes unfortunatly. But my other book, this forum :), helped me alot. Thanx guys

Back