1972 Fury Pash Interchange

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
· The dash pad in my 1972 Fury is pretty ugly. It’s got big cracks in the pad material and needs to be recovered. I have not pulled the dash pad off the dash shell to inspect it closely, so this is a hypothetical question:

· If I did decide to replace the dash pad for whatever reason, would the dash pad from a 1972 Dodge Polara/Monaco be the same? In other words, are the 2 Dash pads interchangeable? What other years are interchangeable with 1972 Fury dash pad?

· The Dodge and Plymouth dash shells look the same to me. The Chrysler dash shell does look different.

· Please note: this is not a want ad. This question has to do with, when I get to pulling my dash apart, what are my options.

· As always, thanks for your help. FCBO is a great source for information. It’s a privilege to be a member here. Ben
My 1972 Fury dash, stupid looking silver letters are now removed
1972 Fury Dash.jpg

1972 Polara Dash (from internet)
1972 Polara.jpg

1972 Polara from FCBO for sale
1972 Polara 1.jpg

1972 Chrysler Newport (from internet)
1972-chrysler-newport-royal-2-drht-4.jpg

1971-1972 New Yorker (From internet)
1972 New Yorker Dash.jpg

The dash pad is not a separate piece from "the shell", as the pad usually has some sort of "shell" it's all added onto. So nothing to remove as you would remove a seat cover from the seat foam.

The dash pad assy is attached to the instrument panel structure, which is a bolt-on piece to the main body shell.

Perhaps just a terminology issue?

Take care,
CBODY67

A big advantage to the fuselage cars over the slab sides is that it's so easy to get the dash assembly out of the car. You take off the kick panels, disconnect the vent cables, remove the steering column, unplug some wiring, and for your non-a/c car, the heater cables, remove a few nuts and bolts plus some screws, and it's out. Should take less than an hour.

The tough part is finding a decent dash.

A big advantage to the fuselage cars over the slab sides is that it's so easy to get the dash assembly out of the car. You take off the kick panels, disconnect the vent cables, remove the steering column, unplug some wiring, and for your non-a/c car, the heater cables, remove a few nuts and bolts plus some screws, and it's out. Should take less than an hour.

You guys have it easy!

The dash pad is not a separate piece from "the shell", as the pad usually has some sort of "shell" it's all added onto. So nothing to remove as you would remove a seat cover from the seat foam.
The dash pad assy is attached to the instrument panel structure, which is a bolt-on piece to the main body shell.
Perhaps just a terminology issue?
Take care,
CBODY67
Hi @CBODY67 when I buying parts for another car, vendors called this part the dash shell. (This is from when I restored the dash on my 1970 Fury convertible)
20171115_115908.jpg

This part was called the dash pad, backing plate included
69pad.jpg

What everything looked like when I combined the 2 pieces along with the rest of the dash assembly
20171222_133017.jpg

As you can see from the pic above and below, the 1970 Dash pad has actual corners at the instrument panel
20190128_171720 1970.jpg

My 1972 Pad looks more curved as it surrounds the instrument cluster.
20190128_171553 1972.jpg

20180310_170202.jpg

My interior is originally Y5=Medium Gold. Not sure if the brown dash pad is factory or a replacement from a junkyard. I do know that I think the color is ugly, but maybe Chrysler didn't like the idea of a gold dash pad? Also, my current pad has distortion/shrinkage. Plastic under dash panel is from 1973 Fury. Supposed to be same as 1972.
20190128_171604 1972.jpg

Plan is to pull the whole dash - like @bigmoparjeff said - and have abcmoparts recover the pad/backing plate correctly, while I work thru the rest. Plan to do hidden headlight conversion first, before I do the dash. thanks @polarus for confirming that only 1972-3 Plymouth Dodge will work.

Last edited:
Back