1972 Imperial

Munga

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I restore cars and motorcycles. I mostly restore Mopars. That said I haven’t done a full C body resto yet. I’m building a 72 Imperial street machine. (500” 440 700 horsepower) I have the body manual but can’t find how the stainless trim on top of the fenders is attached. Does anyone know? Would rather not remove the fenders, Thanks.

246D0324-18EC-44FE-9C70-A6D42ECDF4D7.jpeg

That would not be in the service manual, but you might find an exploded view in the Chrysler Parts Book. www.mymopar.com might have a model year parts book close to what you need, if not the exact model year.

CBODY67

More likely than not, the trim is held on by nuts up inside the fender. They would be accessed by removing the inner fender/wheel well.

Not an easy job.

You might try sticking your phone into the opening in the front of the fender in the engine compartment and shooting some flash pictures to see if you can find out for sure.

Jeff

More likely than not, the trim is held on by nuts up inside the fender. They would be accessed by removing the inner fender/wheel well.

Not an easy job.

You might try sticking your phone into the opening in the front of the fender in the engine compartment and shooting some flash pictures to see if you can find out for sure.

Jeff
Good idea I’ll try it, I got. 71 300 with the same trim I also have to restore.

I'm not sure about the '72's, but I would imagine they're the same as '71's. Start by removing the turn signal indicator at the front of the fender, the strip should be held on with "diamond" style spring clips, and simply pull up. Gorgeous car!

Not an easy job.

Jeff
I'm not sure about the '72's, but I would imagine they're the same as '71's. Start by removing the turn signal indicator at the front of the fender, the strip should be held on with "diamond" style spring clips, and simply pull up. Gorgeous car!

A combination of these two replies should yield the answer. I believe 3C's & D? is very likely correct as I know he is correct about the Chrysler models. I don't see why the Imperial would be any different.

Last edited:
Watching this just out of curiosity because pretty sure I remember that is a seam between two panels that the trim is covering.

If similar to the New Yorker, just pop the trim up with a plastic blade starting at the rear, slide it back on the clips about 1" to clear the turn signal indicator housing, and pop the rest up. Can sometimes even do it with no tools.

Yes, I got it off the original owner in my town. I have asked him to sell it since about 1980. He said he would keep it till he died, he did! 31,000 miles.

Back