1972 Monaco Wagon...getting it roadworthy.

Beep Beep Dave

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread on my Monaco Wagon...I noticed I sort of stalled on it and thought if I started this it would get me motivated to getting it back on the road.

So not a restoration, just a matter of time and parts hunting to get everything working to make it safe and reliable as I can.

There was a few previous threads on this car so I guess I will start there:

Feb 19th 2015:
seen...72 dodge monaco wagon.....

Feb 21st 2015:
For Sale - 1972 Polara wagon in AB

April 3rd 2015:
For Sale - 1972 Dodge Monaco station wagon

Sept 30th 2015:
For Sale - 1972 Dodge Monaco wagon (ebay)

March 27th 2016:
For Sale - Here is your big chance for a 1972 Monaco

So I bought it in April 2016, took til August 2016 to get it from Alberta to Ontario.

I will quote myself in an earlier thread:

"Well I ended up buying this Monaco Wagon...I just couldn't stop thinking about it. I had been in contact with the original owner but decided to pass because of the distance and not being able to put eyes on it. Later as I seen it listed on Ebay and the Auto Trader I decided to contact the new owner. Easy communication, and very honest description. He did a major cleanup and started finding some good parts for it. Anyway I don't know why but I felt like I had to have it. So we struck a deal back in late April. Lucky the seller was a good guy because for the next few months I ended up getting $@%^ by transport companies...not a pleasant experience but last Thursday a truck did show up with this beauty. It was tough not knowing what the heck was going on but I really did appreciate the seller patience. A really good guy.

Its a neat car and I am happy that I own it. I've started to pick at it, got the tailgate open, (probably the first time in 30 years), got both drivers side doors working from the outside, and lubed up and oil sprayed those doors and window assemblies. Lots left to do and some parts to hunt down...luckily saforwardlook already sent me a pair of hard to find tail light lenses, and I have bought a 1971 thumbwheel AM/FM radio. It will be nice to find a 1972 black knob radio with the cassette lead but this one will do for now.

There are actually quite a few threads on this wagon already so I thought I would just update this one as it has quite a few as found pics. I am still learning about the car, some neat things are how original everything is like 6 of the 8 spark plug wires are dated 2/1972.

If someone comes across a nice dash pad please let me know! or a gas tank, a passenger side tail light lense, rallye centres and trim rings, any NOS parts etc..."

Basically that is the into...

Dave

Perfect car for this board because of course in one of its for sale pictures it was captured with a hose! (maybe as many as three)

Dave
1972 Monaco Wagon 10.jpg

Is this the wagon that was in the junkyard buried to the frame rails?

Cool, man! I've been looking forward to seeing what goes down with this ride. Nice wagon!

1972 Monaco Wagon 11.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 12a.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 9.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 14.jpg

Robin cleaned it up and got it running. He bought a really nice front bumper and grille. I had a terrible time getting it shipped to me. And the unfortunately the grille didn't make it intact. Trim rings and centre caps also went missing.

Dave

1972 Monaco Wagon 48q.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 49.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 50.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 51.jpg

Got the rear door open first...still don't have it going down as a tailgate. I've opened up all the doors and cleaned the dirt out of the bottoms, lubed up the guides and sprayed all the moving parts. Had to adjust the door handles to get the full range back so they now all operate from the outside. Being a wagon all the door operate super smoothly and feel very solid.
Also gives you an idea how much the paint faded.

On the list on things to do is to replace the rear carpet...I am guessing I could just order a roll from ACC and cut it to size and then have someone finish the edges.

Has anyone done that before?

Dave

1972 Monaco Wagon 71.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 73.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 79.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 81.jpg

New cap, rotor and wires. Not too happy with the MP wires as two were pretty short. Not routed the way I would have liked. A couple of before pics of the carb, got the new one from Rock Auto.

Dave

1972 Monaco Wagon 94.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 95.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 99.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 106.jpg

New carb and more cleanup, changed out the belts, Robin already had bought new hoses. Had to borrow the battery out of my Road Runner.

Dave

1972 Monaco Wagon 108.jpg
1972 Monaco Wagon 109.jpg

Had the local glass guy come over and help me install the new window that came with the car...what is that old saying measure twice and cut once? Well I didn't think of even measuring it and it didn't fit. Kind of an embarrassing moment. He actually found me one new but its $900! Ouch I am too cheap for that!

Tom J here offered me one if I came and got it out. What a great guy. Anyway we managed to get it out in one piece but its a clear one. I really would like to find a tinted one! Have a tinted 2 door hardtop, convertible or 4 door hardtop or clear 4 door sedan or wagon to trade.

Learned a C-body interchange lesson that I won't forget lol

Also as you can see I need a dashpad.

Dave

Back