1972 Newport Royal, Vinyl Top or Not?

damjbb

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2 door, 72 Newport Royal that I just picked up and now that I am not a kid anymore, (I am 50) I will not be going with the old dull paint or primer grey look! :)
My question is did the 72 Newport Royal come without a vinyl top? The build plate (pic 1) does not list a vinyl top for this vehicle however the studs for the rear trim below the rear window are there (pic 2.) Now it does appear someone had a vinyl top on this vehicle at one time so this leads to these questions:

1. If a vinyl top is not on the build plate was it common to have the dealership add a vinyl top?
2. Did any 72 Newport Royal's come without a vinyl top?
3. If some models did not come with a vinyl top did the car come with the rear trim below the rear window?

I appreciate any help in advance!
Build Tag.jpg
20160323_181048.jpg

A vinyl roof would have been optional on a Newport Royal, and it would normally show up on the body code plate as V1x where the x would denote the color. Your plate does show a V5X which is for black insert body side moldings. It was not uncommon for a dealer to add a vinyl top to enhance the sale.

A vinyl roof would have been optional on a Newport Royal, and it would normally show up on the body code plate as V1x where the x would denote the color. Your plate does show a V5X which is for black insert body side moldings. It was not uncommon for a dealer to add a vinyl top to enhance the sale.
Thank you for your reply. My thought when I go to have the car painted is go without a vinyl top since the build tag does not list that however do you know if the car was shipped to the dealer without a vinyl top would the rear trim below the back window be there?

Thank you for your reply. My thought when I go to have the car painted is go without a vinyl top since the build tag does not list that however do you know if the car was shipped to the dealer without a vinyl top would the rear trim below the back window be there?

I have never seen any car without a vinyl roof that had trim down there from the factory. There would be no reason for it. I don't have a 1972 dealer showroom brochure for that model, but it would answer those questions too. Some of this information can be found on the Hamtramck Registry site:

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

Note that a "Special" package could have been had on the Newport Royal that did have a vinyl roof standard, but it would have been a bronze metallic color with unique interiors.

72_Newport_suppliment_0004.jpg

This page shows that vinyl roofs are optional on all regular production Chryslers in 1972 (and the "take" rate):

72_Chrysler_advance_info0008.jpg

And here is one page from the dealer brochure that I found on line that shows a Newport Royal Royal without a vinyl roof and without the lower vinyl roof trim moldings (a four door example, but the two door would be the same).

1972plymouth_14.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen any car without a vinyl roof that had trim down there from the factory. There would be no reason for it. I don't have a 1972 dealer showroom brochure for that model, but it would answer those questions too. Some of this information can be found on the Hamtramck Registry site:

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

Note that a "Special" package could have been had on the Newport Royal that did have a vinyl roof standard, but it would have been a bronze metallic color with unique interiors.

72_Newport_suppliment_0004.jpg

This page shows that vinyl roofs are optional on all Chryslers in 1972 (and the "take" rate):

72_Chrysler_advance_info0008.jpg

And here is one page from the dealer brochure that I found on line that shows a Newport Royal Royal without a vinyl roof and without the lower trim moldings (a four door example, but the two door would be the same).

1972plymouth_14.jpg
Thank you for taking your time to help me sort this out. I will post some pics once my exterior is completed.

Do you know how rare it is to see a car of this era in a factory brochure to be shown without a vinyl roof?

1972plymouth_14.jpg

I re-did my vinyl top last year, and as far as we (FCBO) figured out, mine was a dealer installed version as well (over a factory painted roof :mad:) the points on your top are just like mine.

DSC07648.JPG

this is a factory installed vinyl top (note the different design)

69 sport wood- factory vinyl top.jpg

I re-did my vinyl top last year, and as far as we (FCBO) figured out, mine was a dealer installed version as well (over a factory painted roof :mad:) the points on your top are just like mine.

View attachment 116326

this is a factory installed vinyl top (note the different design)

View attachment 116327
Thank you for the post, it does appear that my vehicle had a vinyl top added as a dealer option. Funny there are factory drilled holes for the name badge of a Newport Custom right behind the rear passenger window (pic 1.) I am sure all vehicles came off the line to build out all models and then just finished to the model ordered by the dealership or customer. Now I have to decide vinyl top or not. I am leaning towards no vinyl to to match the build tag.
20160521_184950.jpg

Thank you for the post, it does appear that my vehicle had a vinyl top added as a dealer option. Funny there are factory drilled holes for the name badge of a Newport Custom right behind the rear passenger window (pic 1.) I am sure all vehicles came off the line to build out all models and then just finished to the model ordered by the dealership or customer. Now I have to decide vinyl top or not. I am leaning towards no vinyl to to match the build tag.View attachment 116337

IMHO go without the vinyl top.

I wish I could have gone sans vinyl, but $$$$$ did not allow a full respray of the car. maybe in the future I will.

Do you know how rare it is to see a car of this era in a factory brochure to be shown without a vinyl roof?

You're right! Below I posted a link which has a customer brochure and the 2 door hard top is not shown without a vinyl top!

1972plymouth_14.jpg

Back