NOT MINE 1972 NYB 2dr in Michigan (HT8 Chestnut Brown)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This NYB was listed for sale of FB this morning. Tan top, tan buckets. Thanks to @71Polara383 for alerting me to it. I believe that this car was previously in Ohio (sold 2-3 years back). From the ad:

440 4 barrel, ran good when parked a year ago. Needs to be rewired, I have everything to rewire it. Interior is out of the car, I started to rewire it. Have the complete interior minus headliner and carpet because it needs to be replaced. Have a extra freshly rechromed front bumper that goes with the car. 5500 obo

The photos in the ad seem to predate the interior's removal. I note a different kind of hose:rolleyes:

153181789_1399351723740777_2636418321576282258_o.jpg

152373361_1399353860407230_2153211474311458567_o.jpg

Last edited:
This NYB was listed for sale of FB this morning. Tan top, tan buckets. Thanks to @71Polara383 for alerting me to it. I believe that this car was previously in Ohio (sold 2-3 years back). From the ad:

440 4 barrel, ran good when parked a year ago. Needs to be rewired, I have everything to rewire it. Interior is out of the car, I started to rewire it. Have the complete interior minus headliner and carpet because it needs to be replaced. Have a extra freshly rechromed front bumper that goes with the car. 5500 obo

The photos in the ad seem to predate the interior's removal. I note a different kind of hose:rolleyes:

View attachment 441078
View attachment 441079
HOSE!!

Thanks @T-revorNobody -- much more information this time around in the ad. I have highlighted what would worry me the most:

"Body is in good condition, floors are solid, frame is solid. 440 4 barrel about 72k on it, runs strong, trans shifts great. 83/4 rear with factory gears unsure of the pig number. Chassis and drive train needs nothing. Has some upgraded front end parts, handled great.
Car needs to be rewired due to factory harness melting under dashboard. Corrosion, ammeter and bulk head all played their part. I have 3 wiring harnesses that you can repair. Or I bought a Mopar specific wiring kit to rewire the whole car. I paid 550 for the wiring kit. The entire interior, dashboard is removed from the car. I have everything except for the headliner and carpet because they need replacing. Car has some rust under the top, and a dime sized hole in the driver's fender at the bottom. Overall the car is in very good condition despite the wiring issues. It comes with a Newport dashboard that is complete and a front bumper that was rechromed. 5500 is the price will not negotiate via fb."

One of the photos suggests that there is more bubbling on the LHS sail panel vinyl than I personally would like to see. I also note the H53 AutoTemp. Fixable, since it's a 1972, but not cheap to fix.

This is a very frustrating condition for a car to be in, from my point of view. It looks so good. But yet it has the same issues that cars that don't look good have. When they look bad every step forward seems to make it better. Unfortunately this car will have to look worse in order to get better.
Definitely one of my favorite looking 72's the colors are great.

The new picture really points out the rust under the vinyl on the drivers rear.
Definitely some rust in there.

That is a good looking car! The 72 grills have definitely grown on me, but I think I prefer the 72 grills on the 2 doors more than the 4 door. Just changes it to me.

Relisted. Now down to $4000. Peel top, repair, possibly just lay top back down if rust isn't too extensive down there?
And then there's the wiring. Wonder how much a professional shop would charge to do it, as I'd be a little lazy to do it all.

Sounds like ammeter was destroyed and old dashboard probably melted. Luckily the whole car wasn't lost.

What do y'all think? Someone stop me before I make a bad decision and add it to the garage...

Last edited:
After talking to the seller, the car seems pretty clean. The biggest thing for me is the roof.

Apparently the previous owner replaced the vinyl top a few years ago but obviously didn’t seal or prep the area underneath.
The top of the roof and A pillars look decent but the C Pillars have a good amount of bubbling. Looks mostly along the seam weld between the roof and quarter panel

Could just be the beginning or surface rust? Or pretty much guaranteed to have major rusting?
I don’t mind repairing the roof, I just don’t want to peel it up and there are enough holes I need to think of a replacement roof.

Obviously it’s impossible to know for sure without peeling the top.

CD169AB5-3121-4091-B735-AB1CAAF79776.jpeg

92B3CEF9-2BD8-459B-B9BD-8BDB8476D9D4.jpeg

7686040C-19AE-415C-BF07-4084D941CEF9.jpeg

B8122283-061B-407B-931B-C406C7659E29.jpeg

0118378A-2499-4054-BB6F-CBB4E9BE818E.jpeg

45D259A5-B5A8-46FF-8D58-2F0F6D696BDA.jpeg

Last edited:
first .. NOT trying to diss this car.

my experience with rust UNDER a vinyl roof that is "built up" to these little mounds under the roof like have holes at their root. meaning, you remove the top again and start to prep the metal surfaces, you sand these mounds down and you'll find a hole to patch.

if you are fortunate, there's enough good metal around the 'swiss-cheese" that will support a patch, prep, rust treatment, paint etc before new roof goes back on

its a nice car .. definiately NOT a "rust bucket". I would address the roof thing if i owned it.

hope it finds a good home.

I've seen a lot worse saved and this one really deserves to be saved...but the price is high for what it currently is in my opinion.

There's a bunch of work under that vinyl, no question...and as mentioned above in my experience those big bubbles will very likely resolve themselves into a hole. Not always...sometimes they just wind up being deep rust divots in the metal, but often there' s a hole.

That and the meltdown that happened under the dash means that the price should be adjusted accordingly.

I'd go in $1500-2000 cash due to the effort the next owner has to put in and see if he bites.

Presuming the rest is truly as nice as it looks.

Made and offer to seller. Reflected it.

Says he saw a 72 Moonroof go for $19,500 last year and this blue Newport on 22” rims for $14,000. I Told him they won’t get their asking price…

Says he’d rather part the car out and get $3,000 then sell it for $2,000.

With new carpet, headliner, roof work, wiring, AC system I see $8000 of work easily for a $7,500 car when done. That’s without potential engine work.

it’s a shame. Hope car doesn’t get parted and finds a good home

E3F6B0D4-C7CD-4132-86F3-597660F8E8BB.jpeg

Somebody will end up peeling the top and skim coating it with glass and putting new vinyl on and selling it to some poor bastard. They are wasted by the time they have lumps like that.

This HT8 NYB is for sale in Monroe, MI. Thanks a lot to @70 Sport Suburban for the lead.

AFAICT, other than dust on the body and pitting on the driver's mirror, not much has happened. The price has dropped by half, still too high IMHO :-(

1665949794001.png

1665949823863.png

1665949781930.png

1665949766318.png

For the number of times it's been for sale, the price is starting to reflect the reality.
The wiring issue is the kiss of death on this one for sure.
If it was a Slab with less-complicated wiring, it wouldn't be as bad.

Back