WANTED 1973 Chrysler Newport COupe driveshaft / propeller shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gergo

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi All,

I'm looking for a driveshaft form my '73 Newport coupe. She has a 440 engine, and a 727 tranny. If I figured out well, the part number is 3578 222. I would love, if you can do overseas shipping, I'm located in Budapest, Hungary.

Thank you:
Gergo

Attachments

• 73_Mopar_Parts_Catalog-C body propeller shaft data.pdf
    381.1 KB · Views: 136
3578222 google search shows NOTHING !!
This is what I figured out from my old parts catalog.

Driveshaft.jpg

Shipping something that long overseas is just about impossible.

What happened to your original drive shaft?

If the ends are still good, you should be able to have a new tube installed on the old ends.

Any country that has commercial trucks will have shops that can make new drive shafts.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Some bloke lost it during the years. Eight years ago she was fully rebuilt, and then left abandoned, before the complete assembly. The fork at the differential, and the shaft at the tranny is in place. Anyway, I would prefer to have an original part. I have some friends accross the US, who will be happy to help me with the overseas part if the shipping, if I find one.

I should have one.

Could you confirm which rear end is in your car? It should be an 8-1/4", which will have the removable cover on the back side.

Jeff

I will let you know in the morning my time (like 12 hrs from now) , also I will take a photo to make sure.

I should have one.

Could you confirm which rear end is in your car? It should be an 8-1/4", which will have the removable cover on the back side.

Jeff
And a flat spot about 4 inches long on the bottom of the diff.

That's surprising. It shouldn't have an 8-3/4 in it, especially if it's a 400 2bbl. Might possibly have heavy duty suspension or trailer towing option.

I'll look to see what I have. I should still have one.

I may need to have you crawl under the car and measure the yoke size on the rear.

I will let you know.

Jeff

Good. That will help.

It would be really, really rare if that car has a factory installed 440.

Could you post a shot of the fender tag sometime? You don't need to do it tonight.

Jeff

It is really rare, as I know 3000 pieces were made only with this trim and setup. The small parts, screws, chromes, etc are in the trunk... I will look for the fender tag, it's not installed yet. VIN is CL23T3C268817 if that helps.

The "T" tells me it's a 440 car. Quite unusual. That's why it has the 8-3/4 rear, though I have seen some 440 cars that came with the 8-1/4 in '72 and '73.

Well, I can figure out the VIN also, did not do. But I'm absolutely not that pro, to tell if it is a normal, or unusual rear end. Thank you!

I didn't do yet. I will install the windshield, and mount the bumpers, so it will look kike a car, then I will post it.

After looking through my driveshaft collection, I'm coming up with two different size yokes, but none are 2-1/4".

One is 2-1/8", which would be 54mm. I'm guessing that this is the correct one.

The other is 2-5/8", or 66.7 mm.

Checking Rock Auto, those are the only two sizes that they list for 1973 Chrysler.

Could you double check your measurement please?

img_0230.jpg

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back