For Sale 1973 Dodge Polara Police Cop Car - $12900

Status
Not open for further replies.

67-Fury

Reaction score
Contact seller
1973 Dodge Polara Police Cop Car

00p0p_g38f06udAyB_600x450.jpg

Saw this two days ago on e bay and CL. It is four miles from home, maybe less. I have never seen it before.

priced like a "real" car (vs. tribute)... but looks good in any event. once again, not enough detail in the ad to understand what it really is/assess its condition.

fortunately we have a bonafide C body expert four miles away who could give us all the straight dope on this one? :)

priced like a "real" car (vs. tribute)... but looks good in any event. once again, not enough detail in the ad to understand what it really is/assess its condition.

fortunately we have a bonafide C body expert four miles away who could give us all the straight dope on this one? :)

If it was needed absolutely. ..not being real , in my opinion knocks the value down from what was likely a nice four door.

Hazzard county....... WTF?

If it was a 71 would you be interested, Polara Dave?

Interested enough to look at it but not enough to buy it.

I want a real 71 police car, regardless of agency. Also a four door sedan, in nice original condition.
Im waiting for one of our members to sell his real 71police car

If the "clone" car sells for that price it means the real ones like mine are considerably more valuable.

If it was needed absolutely. ..not being real , in my opinion knocks the value down from what was likely a nice four door.

Hazzard county....... WTF?

I didn't see that decal upclose on my little smartphone screen. :(

so yeah, you're right. as a (presumably) well-done "clone", and at that price, may not be a good use of your time (unless somebody here really wants it and needs some eyes on it?). :)

even as a nice sedan, with some authentic police equipment, 13 large is well beyond what I would expect for it.

the Hazzard County thing is a novelty that might reduce its broad appeal but also could be exactly what somebody is looking for for some TV show thing?.

if it were "real", and "correct", and "documented", "pursuit-class", etc., then i would guess that asking price is on the LOW side of the range I would expect.

but deals that defy my sense of economic logic get done between other willing buyers and sellers all the time. I wish this seller the best with it as always.

Last edited:
If the "clone" car sells for that price it means the real ones like mine are considerably more valuable.

it would surprise the heck outta me Pete if it fetched that much.

I hope it does, for the people involved in that deal and if they are happy with that outcome. but as i noted above, that is a very high asking price for a tribute car.

its worth paying attention to what happens here (if a transaction we can see results) as it may give insight into the ongoing "clone" vs "real" cop car value discussion some of us are interested in.:)

Last edited:
I want a real 71 police car, regardless of agency. Also a four door sedan, in nice original condition.
Im waiting for one of our members to sell his real 71police car

who's got one here? :)

seriously if you are referring to mine, any FCBO member is a preferred buyer.

you were the first member to ask me anythng about it -- so you're first one i'd PM if one day you're still looking for one then :)

no plans to sell it (im down to the 10 cop cars i wanna keep) but its getting exercised all this year in my rotation of the "fleet".

i'll dump the "insurance pics" of it from the gallery and put some better stuff up so everybody can get a good look at it now that i have done all im gonna do to it.

i'll put my '73 WSP Polara up and '72 NJ statie Fury III (if i can finish it) up later in summer as well.

Listing is already gone.

When I started mine I was told it cost just as much to restore a real one as it does to make a clone.

Clones will not get the same price.

I do know of a fully restored CHP 71 Polara that is for sale but I feel the widow is asking way too much for it.

Alan

I don't need a CHP car. I simply want a real deal 71 police car....

Everyone I have seen here in Jersey were in bone yards and now long gone. I didn't pursue any real deal cars over the last 20 years of Internet time. What I was hunting and caught was more important

Listing is already gone.

When I started mine I was told it cost just as much to restore a real one as it does to make a clone.

Clones will not get the same price.

I do know of a fully restored CHP 71 Polara that is for sale but I feel the widow is asking way too much for it.

Alan

recall what the widow wanted for her husband's '71? head-to-head (vehicles of equal quality) CHP cars tend to set the high mark for prices. not always, but most of the time.

never seen a "clone", compared to a car of equal quality/features, top the price of a "real" car. i am sure its happened but not in my experience.

cost to do a clone vs a real one? i have no experience with that. my judgment, depending on degree of "correctness" sought (ignoring all that unique body-in-white reinforcement stuff when the cop cars got more specialized for severe duty, which i dunno HOW would be duplicated in a civi car), and a comparable starting and ending point , is aligned with yours: comparable resto costs clone vs real car - probably.

Every now and then there is someone out there who will pay listing price no questions asked. However, I don't believe that raises the bar on what the car is worth just because one rare buyer popped up with the feeling of full speed ahead I gotta have it. Sellers like to think that is how it works. Some have more sense with their cents and other have more cents but little sense...

sorry for diversion. this is an old listing..this car ring a bell? anybody know what happened back then? resold since?

SOLD - 1971 Polara CHP (California) | Bluesmobiles

"Real deal retired CHP sedan, this car is a daily driver and has been on numerous road trips, it runs cool and steady down the road, new front end including shocks, Firehawk pv 235-70-15 pursuit tires, rebuilt matching #'s 440 h.p. motor and trans. Rebuilt factory carb, mopar electronic distributor, H pipe dual exhaust sounds great. Shotgun rack and radio will be included in this sale."

dodge061.jpg

dodge064.jpg

dodge063.jpg

dodge062.jpg

dodge173.jpg

Last edited:
recall what the widow wanted for her husband's '71? head-to-head (vehicles of equal quality) CHP cars tend to set the high mark for prices. not always, but most of the time.

never seen a "clone", compared to a car of equal quality/features, top the price of a "real" car. i am sure its happened but not in my experience.

cost to do a clone vs a real one? i have no experience with that. my judgment, depending on degree of "correctness" sought (ignoring all that unique body-in-white reinforcement stuff when the cop cars got more specialized for severe duty, which i dunno HOW would be duplicated in a civi car), and a comparable starting and ending point , is aligned with yours: comparable resto costs clone vs real car - probably.
As far as I can tell the body on my genuine 69 CHP Polara is no different than my other Polara. The only things that were changed/added are the spare tire bracket to the convertible location, cut a 5" round hole in the core support and add a reinforcement plate for the siren. Negligible time and money.

As for what they are trying to get for the 71 I think about $70,000

Alan

As far as I can tell the body on my genuine 69 CHP Polara is no different than my other Polara. The only things that were changed/added are the spare tire bracket to the convertible location, cut a 5" round hole in the core support and add a reinforcement plate for the siren. Negligible time and money.

As for what they are trying to get for the 71 I think about $70,000

Alan

you know your car(s) very well so no debate from me..my recollection was '69-'71 models (that era somewhre) were among the first Mopars to start to get different body-in-white structures than the civi cars - at the demand of law enforcement.

by the time the C's went out of production the differences were much more apparent (especially the F58 "crossmember reinforcement" option as the most obvious one to me) to trained observers (and the DD crowd that smashed them up).

70,000 US dollars?! Even if it were zero miles, never in service, with all its departmental paperwork, stored in a bubble but run every two weeks..even THEN i'd doubt it could do that princely sum. but heck..anything is possible I guess.

Last edited:
back to car at hand. something from October 2010 when the car was in NY State. damn internet..once out there, there forever. anyway, it was on ebay at $5,000 bid level and reserve unmet at that time.

For your consideration in this auction is my 1973 Dodge Polara. It has been restored as a police car replica, it is not an actual police package car, however it is an extremely accurate representation of how police cars were equipped in 1973. NOTE: All emergency related equipment depicted below may not be legal to drive on public highways.

This car was originally sold by Swift Dodge in Sacramento, CA. It spend the next 35 years surviving in California. I bought it 2 ½ years ago from an owner in San Jose. I still have the original build sheet, the original blue CA plates and the Swift Dodge license plate frame that all go with the car. Since arriving on the East Coast, it has been garage kept. The car was originally a Polara Custom. Upon restoration it was “de-trimmed” into a standard Polara by swapping out interior parts with a donor car and removing the extra moldings that it came with the Custom.

73 polara 1.jpg

73 polara 2.jpg

73 polara 3.jpg

73 polara 4.jpg

sorry for diversion. this is an old listing..this car ring a bell? anybody know what happened back then? resold since?

SOLD - 1971 Polara CHP (California) | Bluesmobiles

"Real deal retired CHP sedan, this car is a daily driver and has been on numerous road trips, it runs cool and steady down the road, new front end including shocks, Firehawk pv 235-70-15 pursuit tires, rebuilt matching #'s 440 h.p. motor and trans. Rebuilt factory carb, mopar electronic distributor, H pipe dual exhaust sounds great. Shotgun rack and radio will be included in this sale."

dodge061.jpg

dodge064.jpg

dodge063.jpg

dodge062.jpg

dodge173.jpg

I purchased this car sight unseen in 2011 for asking price of $10,000 USD + $2,000 more for p/o to source and fit new windshield and supply a few "extras". Cost me another $2,500 shipping and insurance to get it to New Zealand.

Upon arrival and brief initial inspection the quality and finish of the paintwork was very well done it looked "mint". However after getting her on a hoist and poking and probing through the thick layer of underbody sealer rust was apparent. The closer I looked the more cancer I found, rust was just everywhere although not obvious until you went "digging" through a truckload of filler. It had been used throughout and large areas had been fiberglassed and what appeared to be aluminum oven baking trays had been pop riveted in the front floor pans and a rear quarter. There were front end (steering/suspension) issues as well as the brakes/wheel cylinders all needing replacement.

The real bugger was that if it had of been disclosed to me I could have had replacement parts placed in the vehicle when it was shipped. It cost more than the purchase price of the replacement parts just to ship to me then there was import custom duty's to pay on top. As well some police equipment shown in the pictures was missing or not working. At this stage due to New Zealand's very strict regulations on complying with safety certification including a zero tolerance of rust I was looking at being "in the hole" upwards of 14k and unable to drive it on the road, that's an expensive ornament to have a beer and just "look at" in the new shed I had built to house her in.

On the plus side it is a "real deal" ex chp slick top pursuit and my favourite year "71". Folks here spend 100k+ on a challenger/roadrunner/charger etc and you can google search these models on any given day and have a hundred choice's of colour/year. Cant find one 71 polara listing searching today and certainly no cop car. So given its the only 71 polara in this country and relatively rare in its home country I know what I would rather have.

Si I spent another $15,000 US on having it stripped, cutting out the rot hours of welding, and put back together, thankfully I haven't had to spend on the engine... yet..it does run sweet! and I can roll to a car show/meet and know its the only one that's going to be there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back