For Sale 1973 Dodge Polara Sundance. Yes, that one.

C Body Mopars For Sale

1. Carmine

Carmine Old Man with a Hat

0   0   0

Contact Seller
    Having this car come up in another thread got me thinking about it. I'll do bullet points to keep it short (for me).

• It was a rash decision to purchase it, probably influenced by the coincidence of having seen it 20 years earlier.
    • I have too many projects of all kinds going on right now. House, cars, business, etc. I really need to scale some things back. Other than the trip to LA and last week's swap, I really attend no shows. Weekends are just too busy.
    • My primary project is finishing the total renovation of my current home. I can finally see light at the end of that tunnel, but any serious restoration project would need to wait for a new home, and that's probably at least two years out.
    The subframe was ruined on this car, but the body is surprisingly intact. If a person really knew what they were doing, you could preserve most of this cars original code 999 paint, and all of the original custom stripes. As you all probably know, I lucked into an ideal '72 Monaco parts car soon after buying it. It now rolls on the replacement frame, and there is a huge pile of parts to begin making repairs. Things I wouldn't need, like Monaco-specific trim were traded to Murray Park for nice Polara bumpers and other parts.

Now I should say this... the window of sale will be short. I have a place to stash this car away until I can finish it. Once I move it there, I probably won't want to bother selling it. I haven't (ever) posted many pictures because I'd like to save the story for a magazine, not have them posted all over the Facebook and Internet.

Unfortunately I think most of the people who could "explain" this car have gone to the big styling dome in the sky, but I have no doubt this car was intended for the show circuit along with the Plymouth Aspen and Chrysler Mariner.

I've taken enough photos to give an idea what a buyer would be getting into. As you can see, there is some rust on the driver's floor board, but only enough to warrant a patch, and an entire floor is included. The trunk is debatable, but I kept that as well. Also all the parts-car fuel/brake/gas tank/linkages, etc. The lower quarters had some amateur patch work done, but it doesn't extend far up the panel. Rockers are good. I wire-wheeled anything questionable last year and painted any bare metal. The rest of the underbody (and inner panels) was undercoated back in the day. Sunroof, roof and Dutchman panel are good. All of the unique emblems are good, with nothing more than a few black dots on the chrome.

Ask questions if you're interested. My price is $5,000 which covers the purchase, parts and labor invested to get it this far. It would be fine for transport from my home in the Detroit suburbs.

IMG_20180502_200735.jpg

IMG_20180502_200713.jpg

IMG_20180502_200645.jpg

IMG_20180502_200505.jpg

IMG_20180502_200439.jpg

IMG_20180502_200353.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Carmine

0   0   0

More...

IMG_20180502_200330.jpg

IMG_20180502_200143.jpg

IMG_20180502_200124.jpg

IMG_20180502_200104.jpg

IMG_20161105_135502_zps3un1pcc4.jpg

IMG_20161105_135438_zpsfjvqmark.jpg

IMG_20161105_135424_zpsaxisotiz.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 4
  3. Fury Pursuit

Fury Pursuit Senior Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Fender tag Photo???

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fc7_plumcrazy

fc7_plumcrazy Senior Member

0   0   0

so it has the front frame from the grey 72 already under it?
    The rest of the frame rails is rusted, too? (just to get it straight for me).
    How are the mechanics? Does the engine run?

5. Fury Pursuit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Carsten, this car isn't blue!!!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  6. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I’d say that’s a fair price. My money is on it selling pretty quickly.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 1978 NYB

1978 NYB Warfighter FCBO Gold Member

0   0   0

Very cool car!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Carmine

0   0   0

Not at the moment. Relevant items I can tell you are that the drivetrain is a 360 2bbl and the presence of the 999 paint code and "special paint"/"special handling" tags. The SDweatherman asked if it's coded for a sunroof... I want to say yes, as I recall that was code M51, but he also said sunroofs weren't offered on '73 Polaras, so perhaps I'm thinking of other sunroof cars I've owned(?) I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the minor options on the tag, I know for sure that some of the interior trim (like armrest bases) was dyed white from black. When that car came into the prototype garage at Highland Park, they surely mixed and matched items during the build.

I also think the "reveal" of the car's secrets belongs to whomever gets it back on the road. If I know someone is serious, they'll see the tags.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Carmine

0   0   0

The '72 frame is under it, but it's intended to come back out for "detailing", so the drivetrain, while in place, isn't completely bolted up nor are linkages, wiring, etc. back in place.

The rear rails look good, but they're heavily undercoated and I haven't probed every inch. That's why I kept the trunk pan around from the '72... The '73s pan looks good, but I haven't pulled the gas tank/valance, etc. Yet. The brakes/steering will all be from the '72.

The engine will turn, but I haven't run it. The previous owner claimed it ran, but we all know what that is worth.

10. FURYGT

FURYGT Senior Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Interesting. Plymouth made a Sebring Sundance in the same color with different stripes. A friend has one stored away as a future restoration project.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carmine

0   0   0

Yes, I have speculated that may be why this car doesn't appear in coverage of the '73 M/Y shows. As I knew and was confirmed by conversations with Chet Limbaugh, (who designed the Mariner), the studios worked in secrecy from each other. My guess was that the Plymouth studio made a pitch for this package (to be used on their Satellite model) before the car was shown to the public. Someone at the corporate level agreed. Perhaps Dodge was given the Aspen name as a consolation prize. Reading Allpar's history of the F-body names, it sounds like Dodge's name was locked up well before the Plymouth Volaré.

12. 69CoronetRT

69CoronetRT Senior Member

0   0   0

The paint code is not as intriguing as the VON. Do you feel comfortable sharing the first two digits?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carmine

0   0   0

I wouldn't have an issue with that, but since I don't follow the whole "numbers" game, can you tell me the significance of those #s?

14. hemiviper588

hemiviper588 New Member

0   0   0

I have seen this car in person, and it would not take much to clean it up and show it as-is! The car is in amazing shape with minor patina and best of all it is complete! If I had the room, I would be all over this one...it truly is a neat piece of Dodge history!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carmine

0   0   0

I think this car was loved for many years, and only mistreated after the original owner (probably) went to the Lynch Rd. Mashalling lot in the sky. (That's next to the styling dome.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fury Pursuit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Posting a fender tag photo is the best thing to do here Carmine.

For the numbers nerds, (myself included) the may VON indicate why/which department internally the car was ordered, if it was at all. If this is a Chrysler internal styling exercise, or pilot of some kind it would 99% be on the VON. If it's a "dealer/regional" test/press/promo that was built by another company outside of Chryco., as a pitch to Chrysler it likely would not.

E.G.
    Executive Order
    Internal Order
    Public Relations
    Regional Dealer Demo
    Press/Test Car
    etc......

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MarPar

MarPar If it weighs, it pays FCBO Gold Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

tumblr_ongpq9RR811v21qz0o1_500.gif

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Beep Beep Dave

Beep Beep Dave Well-Known Member

0   0   0

It would be hard to walk by that car even at the biggest of shows. What a neat car...so interesting on so many levels. Hopefully it can find a good home and be shared again.

Dave

19. commando1

commando1 Mr. Normal FCBO Gold Member

0   0   0

That is arguably the rarest C-body emblem in existence.

img_20180502_200143-jpg.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. fc7_plumcrazy

fc7_plumcrazy Senior Member

0   0   0

as rare as Chrysler mariner and Plymouth Aspen:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1