1973 Monaco Wagon Turned Loose to Roam

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The new owner of my 1973 Monaco black wagon picked it up yesterday. I posted some photos in another thread, and thought I would repeat them down below.

During my ownership, I never really drove the car much but short trips and before selling it, I went completely through it to make sure everything was serviced and worked, but did not get the dual a/c running, and left that up to the new owner. I told him that it was probably safe to drive, and might want to use it some on short trips before taking a longer one.

Well, he elected to drive it from my home in Rancho Cucamonga, CA straight to Bakersfield, CA, about 145 miles away just after leaving my house to meet a buddy of his and some friends who were going to take a large boat (not the Monaco - a real one!) on some lake in the area.

I got a text from him this morning saying he make the trip with no issues, and "couldn't be happier". So my garage queen is now getting some real use. He is the same guy that bought an identical wagon from me (although the color was light yellow with a white interior) and is having it fully restored at present, and will even be having the woodgrain decals duplicated authentically). I saw the progress of that wagon a couple weeks ago, it it looks stunning at this point, without the decals yet through.

The new owner said he prefers original cars though, to restored ones, and loves the slight patina of this black wagon and will leave it all original. He said he plans to bring at least the black one to Spring Fling next year. So it is finally getting used and appreciated. Carsten should be pleased!

2004-01-01-00-00-27-jpg.jpg

2004-01-01-00-00-09-jpg.jpg

2004-01-01-00-00-57-jpg.jpg

2004-01-01-00-00-14-jpg.jpg

This is what his other one will look like soon:

9f25b058fbb8c7302cf388c882b368f7--wagon-wheels-stationwagon.jpg

Last edited:
I was at Spring Fling in '16, really thinking of going again this year. This helps the cause.

Very good looking car...:thumbsup:
What history does it have......? You were the second owner ?

Very good looking car...:thumbsup:
What history does it have......? You were the second owner ?

I was never able to find much history to the car, but as best I can tell from the few comments the one who sold it to me had, I was the third owner (about 12 years ago). He wasn't much of a talker. But I did find the build sheet in the car and it now resides with the new owner.

Oh that is one of my favourites. Did you list it for sale or did you just get an I can't say no offer?

Dave

Love it! I would have had a hard time letting that one go.

Well, he is a good friend of mine and really wanted it bad and made me a very good offer on it. I actually got a higher offer from a guy in Germany that wanted to buy it and have me store it for 6 months so he could visit the states and drive around and then ship it to Germany when his vacation was over. It was an unsolicited offer that he made based on some word of mouth that I had one of these. I elected to sell it to my friend for less since it would stay in the area and I would be able to see it once and awhile. I still have my 1969 Town & Country wagon with 34K miles on it, and I am currently going through the powertrain to freshen it up. I am close to done with that, and I figured at my age, I still need to thin things out, and I felt I would feel more comfortable driving the T & C since the body isn't quite up to the condition of the black Monaco, but is actually close, so I elected to sell the black one since I knew the buyer would really take care of it and I would see it often. The only other wagon I have now is a 1973 Dodge Crestwood, and that is nice too.

I actually do have a 1971 Town & Country wagon that is for sale but it is a total restoration project with no rust except for some on the tail gate near one of the hinges, for some reason. There is none anywhere else. I have too many other vehicles I would like to restore before I would get to that one, so I am letting it go if anyone has interest. It is aztec gold with the woodgrain, and a parchment 60/40 split bench front seat and all the options, including dual a/c. The engine in it is locked up - one day, after it sat about 3 months since driving it, I went out to start it and it was stuck - never did look further into it. If I was able to restore it, it would have been my favorite wagon, since I felt they were the best of the fuselage wagons, with the Monaco a very close second.

Yes, it was very hard to let it go, and I am still getting over it!

Last edited:
Im glad I am out of the business or I would have been upset ....... I was thinking 18 to 22 was the value of the black wagon. Which is where I was aiming before my intervention

I will be happy to see the Wagon at a Spring Fling.
It was made to be driven so I am happy if they still get used like it should be.
Looking forward to see it again.

Most important: It went to an owner who keeps its originality (paint etc).
Way better than selling it to someone you don't know personally (ie like the guy from germany) and don't know how he will treat it.

Carsten

Once again...I feel pulled to the dark side.

Damn! That's a sweet looking wagon.

That wagon was a really nice survivor. I was impressed, I love buying survivor cars. They run/drive the best.

Im glad I am out of the business or I would have been upset ....... I was thinking 18 to 22 was the value of the black wagon. Which is where I was aiming before my intervention

Maybe I could have gotten that if I had tried harder, but it went for the low teens. I am glad where it ended up. The owner is one of three of us down here in Southern California who work together to supply each other with cars and parts, mostly C bodies, but other bodies as well, such a B bodies and E bodies. We look out for each other as best we can. It is all good..................

Back