1973 Newport 2 door

6PACKB

Reaction score
I recently bought this car for the drivetrain and have kinda fallen in love with it so I'm considering keeping it and turning it into a driver by installing a 383 & trans I have sitting around. Unfortunately my friends all say I would be wasting my time as it would be valueless and I have bigger fish to fry (I have several projects already) I can't decide if I should make it a driver, part it, or sell it as a roller. I have the front bumper, header panel, engine & trans, so the questions are...

What would it be worth as a driver with a 69 HP 383 & good trans?

What would it be worth as a roller?

IMG_20170809_170517.jpg

IMG_20170809_170531.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20170809170602_COVER.jpg

The scoop is a home made cluster. I will try to get a pic of it next week for gits & shiggles. I have located a good hood, just need to figure out how to get it from Jersey to Michigan LOL

I probably like these cars as much as anyone, but I think your friends are right on this one. The money you put into it to make it a nice driver would not be recovered I believe.

Its worthless as a roller. You can keep it and drive it as is and know youre upside down but still be happy. You can rob its heart and go to your grave knowing you killed off part of an endangered species ,..............your call

I probably like these cars as much as anyone, but I think your friends are right on this one. The money you put into it to make it a nice driver would not be recovered I believe.

I wouldn't be making it a "nice driver" or investing lots of money. I would be using parts out of my personal stock that I have little investment in (installing a known good 383 & 727) as well as installing the the header panel, front bumper & possibly banging out the driver fender. Would the car be worth $3000 running & driving this way?

Last edited:
Its worthless as a roller. You can keep it and drive it as is and know youre upside down but still be happy. You can rob its heart and go to your grave knowing you killed off part of an endangered species ,..............your call

It has no cash value as a roller? Really? No one would pay $1000 for this car? I was already offered $500 for it, & the scrap man will give me $300 but I don't want to go that way.

As for robing its heart, the car has a modified 440 not original to the car (originally a 400) & the non matching 727 is smoked. I don't think I have to sweat any feelings of guilt in that regard.

Again I ask, what is the car worth running & driving with the 383 & good 727 with the header & front bumper installed?

This is the same way I happened upon C bodys. I got one in a 3 car deal. I didn't want the boat, but when I got it running / driving shape it became history. Get it running and driving and judge for yourself. Is it an original silver car? Happen to have a fender tag pic? All the best either way you choose.

I have found the prices for these are all over the map. This one sold for $10K:

upload_2017-8-18_11-51-38.jpeg

Then there others that struggle to get $3500. This one sold for $2500:

upload_2017-8-18_11-58-4.jpeg

Unfortunately, it is worthless as a roller, maybe $500.

Echoing what was said above, the value is in enjoying it for what it is. Put it together the way you want it and drive. If you like the styling you will love cruising in it. They are a joy to drive. I've had E and B bodies, there really is no comparison.

James

300 to 500 is no cash value to me as far as a car is considered. Scrap? Sure, take it. You can ask a grand all day long ....

I have found the prices for these are all over the map. This one sold for $10K:

View attachment 138642

Then there others that struggle to get $3500. This one sold for $2500:

View attachment 138645

Unfortunately, it is worthless as a roller, maybe $500.

Echoing what was said above, the value is in enjoying it for what it is. Put it together the way you want it and drive. If you like the styling you will love cruising in it. They are a joy to drive. I've had E and B bodies, there really is no comparison.

James
I would not hesitate to buy that black one for 10K...that is one of my favorite c body year and body styles....right along with the 72-73 Imperials of course...

Put your engine and trans in it and drive it. The car should live on, it's a great color combo and the lack of vinyl top saved the roof from rotting out. I'd say as is 5 or 600 bucks, running and driving 2.5 to 3k(probably generous but I do like the color) but if you put your '69 hp engine in it you know some local is going to buy it for the engine and trans and think they'll recoup their money by selling off the rest and the poor car will be stuck in a crazy repetitious loop.

Put your engine and trans in it and drive it. The car should live on, it's a great color combo and the lack of vinyl top saved the roof from rotting out. I'd say as is 5 or 600 bucks, running and driving 2.5 to 3k(probably generous but I do like the color) but if you put your '69 hp engine in it you know some local is going to buy it for the engine and trans and think they'll recoup their money by selling off the rest and the poor car will be stuck in a crazy repetitious loop.
Totally agree here, but as you know I am biased because I have all the body parts you need to fix it up right.

:poke:

All of it really depends upon rust. If I was given a car that rough, (but rust free) I'd just gut it to a shell and swap al the parts over from a rusty Imperial/New Yorker, etc.

Otherwise, it's just parts.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I plan to make it a driver again. Its not about getting my money back or saving the car. I just like it & it makes to much sense to me to simply use the stuff I have laying around to make it a reliable cruiser (even though I already have several other cars to do that in) I have to back burner it for now due to other priorities but will accumulate parts for it, then when time allows I will swap the driveline & reinstall the front header panel & bumper & get her back on the road.

I recently bought this car for the drivetrain and have kinda fallen in love with it

I just like it & it makes to much sense to me to simply use the stuff I have laying around to make it a reliable cruiser

You seem to have your head and heart aligned on this. Please keep us posted on your progress. :thumbsup:

Back