1973 Newport, and Imperial

monaco75

Reaction score
Wondering, is there any structural differences between a 1973 Newport, and Imperial? Obviously the front steet metal, and tail end is different. But do they share the same stub frame?

Ive wanted a triple black 2 door ‘73 Imperial for a long time. Not exactly readily available. I’ve pondered for s#its, and giggles how I have a 2dr ‘73 Newport, and getting a 4 door imperial for the front end, and tail end. Making the newport an Imperial.

What do you guys think? Just a thought...

A2415F94-F7BE-4468-A7C7-27EAF9751DF7.png
20287C79-ACC1-47E1-AAF5-49B4BE6A8050.jpeg

I think if you avoid Autotemp II that way, it’s not a bad idea. :)

The stub isn’t the same. I am not knowledgeable enough to know of stubs will line up but I suspect the creases and character lines won’t match. Interior will be totally different too. Unless you’re trying to do something like a one of none Imperial wagon or convertible, it would be much harder to do than to search for a nice Imperial and paint / dye it.

Stub frame is longer on the Imp.

I'd rather have the Chrysler.
Easier/cheaper to fix on many issues.
You still get a very similar killer Fuselage look.

57297093-500-0.jpg

Although I do prefer the pre 72 over The Brick.

$_1.jpg

I think if you avoid Autotemp II that way, it’s not a bad idea. :)

The stub isn’t the same. I am not knowledgeable enough to know of stubs will line up but I suspect the creases and character lines won’t match. Interior will be totally different too. Unless you’re trying to do something like a one of none Imperial wagon or convertible, it would be much harder to do than to search for a nice Imperial and paint / dye it.

The Newport doesnt have A/C, and Idk how far I would take it crossing it over. For sure no autotemp. Interior would be a pain. Could hopefully grab the seat from the 4 door, but nothing else. Maybe just redo the current panels to match the seat...

Stub frame is longer on the Imp.

This is what I wanted to know. Thank Matt! I thought so. Still not impossible, especially with a parts car. But... Idk...

I'd rather have the Chrysler.
Easier/cheaper to fix on many issues.
You still get a very similar killer Fuselage look.

View attachment 163707

Although I do prefer the pre 72 over The Brick.

View attachment 163708

That black Newport is gorgeous, but the Imperial is just plain sex to me lol. Bumpber gaurds and all.

642E849F-F522-453E-ACAF-0BE9540FAFC9.jpeg

Both are nice cars. I personally like the Ny'er a little more.

The stub is longer but so is the front end. You would need both together to make it work. The 3” difference in wheelbase is all forward of the firewall

I like the idea, but to do it right, the interior touches would need doing in my opinion.

The stub frames are sooooo different in sooo many ways....
Even tho both do share the basic floor pan there are only two attachment bolts that will line up
from the IMP stub to the Chry floor pan....
The IMP has a firewall extension on each to attach the stub to where the CHRY does not..
The IMP stub is longer towards the front and is shorter in the rear than the CHRY stub....
The IMP stub is wider in the front for bumper attachment.....

As your Newport is not black so that would require a total color change for you make a black 2 dr IMP ....
The most efficient in time and money would be to get a 2 dr IMP and do a color change....

The stub frames are sooooo different in sooo many ways....
Even tho both do share the basic floor pan there are only two attachment bolts that will line up
from the IMP stub to the Chry floor pan....
The IMP has a firewall extension on each to attach the stub to where the CHRY does not..
The IMP stub is longer towards the front and is shorter in the rear than the CHRY stub....
The IMP stub is wider in the front for bumper attachment.....

As your Newport is not black so that would require a total color change for you make a black 2 dr IMP ....
The most efficient in time and money would be to get a 2 dr IMP and do a color change....

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!

It was just a thought as mentioned. 2dr ‘73 Imps don’t grow on trees. If it really was as simple as swapping out just sheetmetal, and little tid bits, I would probably attempt it. Maybe even if I could just swap out stubs, but this would be more work then worthwhile.

The Newport needs a complete restoration anyway. So color change, and tearing it apart was not an issue. Its still waiting its turn in line at the moment...

I’m keeping fingers crossed for a day when Ross (stormer) returns, and offers the pimperial up for sale. Got to see that one in person. Left quite the impression on me. But the old laws of space, time, and money would work against me Ofcoarse. Ha!

Is that the sleek black mamba you speak of in your first post above?

Yeah, the IMP's are an almost completely different animal from what I gather, just from looking at literature. They have a separate column in the parts manual, usually a separate write-up in each section of the shop manual, and a different wiring diagram.

Compared to Chryslers of the same year, my take is that they just share glass, drivetrain, fuel system, [deleted: brakes], wheels, and various accessories like wiper motor, cruise control, alternator, air cleaner, emissions, etc.

It might be on the same level as comparing a '73 Chrysler to a '74....or is that too bold of a statement? (someone on here once said that the only thing that interchanges between fuselages and formals is the air cleaner wing nut, LOL!)

Last edited:
Yeah, the IMP's are an almost completely different animal from what I gather, just from looking at literature. They have a separate column in the parts manual, usually a separate write-up in each section of the shop manual, and a different wiring diagram.

Compared to Chryslers of the same year, my take is that they just share glass, drivetrain, fuel system, brakes, wheels, and various accessories like wiper motor, cruise control, alternator, air cleaner, emissions, etc.

)

Imperials are a bit different as you indicated from the different parts that were used. It's easier to say what they do not share vice what they do share because from 69-73 they shared most things. The brakes are different (remember the Imperial bolt circle differed to 73) The body shells are the same...as mentioned there are some weld on extensions on the firewall and the holes for the stub frame bolts get moved a bit...small potatoes for Zac (have you seen the welding he did on his Monaco?)

Do it. You have attachment to the Newport and you want a Imperial so make it happen and 2 cars is not really doable with your present fleet.

I appreciate the vote of confidence from ya’ll lol. Not something that would happen anytime soon... Don’t worry stan. I don’t think I’ll go through with it. Car is a big enough job by itself at the moment....

Jeff, that car popped up on my facebook right after posting this. I bout crapped my pants lol. Its all the way up in PA though. No plans to go up there till July.

I appreciate the vote of confidence from ya’ll lol. Not something that would happen anytime soon... Don’t worry stan. I don’t think I’ll go through with it. Car is a big enough job by itself at the moment....

Jeff, that car popped up on my facebook right after posting this. I bout crapped my pants lol. Its all the way up in PA though. No plans to go up there till July.
So you'll be wanting the car trailer for the trip? :poke:

Back