1973 Newport Radiator

prd2bdf

Reaction score
I need to replace my radiator. I’ve been looking. The radiator I have has the inlet and outlet on the passenger side. All the radiators I’ve been searching has either one on opposite sides. Is this radiator a weird one?

I was planning on getting a radiator with a passenger outlet and a driver inlet and make it work. Unless someone knows of a source

In reality, the water pump housing should be the same, so just match the upper hose to the radiator you end up with. Seems like the 1970 B/RB a/c radiators had the upper hose more toward the passenger side, if that might matter.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I need to replace my radiator. I’ve been looking. The radiator I have has the inlet and outlet on the passenger side. All the radiators I’ve been searching has either one on opposite sides. Is this radiator a weird one?

I was planning on getting a radiator with a passenger outlet and a driver inlet and make it work. Unless someone knows of a source
Usually the inlet and outlet are on different sides with the down flow radiator, so that the anti-freeze mixture has to cross the whole radiator before it goes back into the engine and is therefore cooler. I would ditch the radiator you have now in favor of one that has the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. My guess is you have a big block. With the big block 440 in my 1970 Fury, inlet is on the right side and outlet is on the left side. I believe that sides switched sometime in 1973.

Is the radiator that you have now Chrysler radiator? Thanks, Ben

Usually the inlet and outlet are on different sides with the down flow radiator, so that the anti-freeze mixture has to cross the whole radiator before it goes back into the engine and is therefore cooler. I would ditch the radiator you have now in favor of one that has the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. My guess is you have a big block. With the big block 440 in my 1970 Fury, inlet is on the right side and outlet is on the left side. I believe that sides switched sometime in 1973.

Is the radiator that you have now Chrysler radiator? Thanks, Ben

It appears to be the original radiator.

Do you have a picture of the radiator?
Also a picture of the 7 digit Chrysler number cast into the top tank?
Example
23.JPG

Do you need to replace it because it leaks? There should be a good radiator shop in your area that can recore or repair it. Glen Ray Radiators can restore it if that's the direction you want to go.

Back