1973 Plymouth Fury Custom Suburban were the Last Giant American Family Cars

I drove one of these in green in the late 70's, prowling around at night in my teens. Some strange experiences with that car.

I was hired to tune the car up by a local Boy's Ranch, take it home, take as long as you like, one of the staff there was a close personal friend of mine.

Big block powered, it stuck a lifter one night because I raced somebody. My mechanical mentor advised me to use some "Banana oil" additive in the crankcase oil to free it up and it worked.

One night, coming home from partying nearly at daybreak, I picked up some gal hitching, thought I'd get lucky. She wanted a ride out to the valley and I said ok, so we're going down the freeway, alone on the road, she's passed out in the passenger seat, comes to, starts freaking out, says I'm taking her in the wrong direction and starts pummeling the inside of the car, dash, I'm trying to keep it together and reassuring her I'm taking her where she wants to go, and she hit the windshield, it cracked all the way across. I hit the brakes, four wheel skid to the side of the road, reached over, opened her door, pushed her out of the car and hit the gas.

I had to have a new windshield installed, at about ten times the rate I charged for the tune up.

Last edited:
Back