1973 Plymouth Fury III

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So I have this car in my possession now and it is a plain Jane Fury III sedan with 380 V8 auto and bench seats. No AC either. Now the car turns out to be in pretty good shape and after selling my 71 Fury Sedan over a year ago I have to admit I have the bug again about building a tribute cop car. I have done a little research so far but period pics of this model in use in NC during 73 to 75 etc is very thin on the ground.
Anyone have some archive pics of this type of car in North Carolina service?

Pickup6.jpg
Pickup7.jpg
Pickup8.jpg

Generic old, hardened rubber tires?? Once they start spinning, just got to maintain it until the rubber gets hot enough to soften some?

CBODY67

Can't say about North Carolina but I had an after school job in NY where the local New York State Police Vehicles were serviced, 73 Fury's & 74 Monaco's. All had the 440, power windows, hand throttle, (high idle lock), lever, Certified 140 mph speedos. I know the 73's had an oil pressure gage where the clock would be, not sure about the 74's on that.

I've been searching.... I'm starting to think the didn't use Plymouth in 73' I can't find one picture. Did find this but I can't make out what state it's from. It's in your color.
0e093b99cc23866e057c8df87d809e62--police-vehicles-emergency-vehicles.jpg

I've been searching.... I'm starting to think the didn't use Plymouth in 73' I can't find one picture. Did find this but I can't make out what state it's from. It's in your color.
View attachment 172121
Illinois state police. Looks close doesn't it? I have found some 73 Plymouths for other states but North Carolina is very thin on the ground when it comes to pictures or information. Cbody Bob tells me they did use the car here.

They knew a major design change was coming in 74 and waited.

I've seen several Wyoming SP 4dr 73 Fury I's for sale on the net in the past decade.

Some more pics, note the interior is almost begging for police treatment, it is certainly spartan. Oh and it does have AC. Check that tag out, not a lot of options!

AC.jpg
engine bay.jpg
Interior.jpg
Interior1.jpg
Interior2.jpg
tag.jpg
Trunk area.jpg

Make it an detective/undercover car....

Paint it dark brown, put hub caps on it, spotlight, magnet siren light, antenna, paper coffee cups....

Make it an detective/undercover car....

Paint it dark brown, put hub caps on it, spotlight, magnet siren light, antenna, paper coffee cups....
Mmm how about a chupa chup hanging out of my mouth if I shave my head? Oh wait, he drove a Buick didn't he? I have considered buying a magnetized police light yes. I think I have a siren already amongst my collection of junk. Then I would just need a spotlight and hubcaps.

Its possible they did not use them. Found a photo on the net for a Dodge, but an earlier pic shows a Ford - which many used. STP :: North Carolina Highway Patrol

The NC Transportation Museum in Salsbury, NC has a 1978 Plymouth as part of their collection. It runs and drives and the siren works just fine as they do take it out and drive it around the museum grounds on special events. They also have an original 1935 Ford roadster State Highway Patrol car in great shape. You could get your colors off these cars. Great museum as well. NC Transportation Museum - Bumper to Bumper/Flue Shop

Its possible they did not use them. Found a photo on the net for a Dodge, but an earlier pic shows a Ford - which many used. STP :: North Carolina Highway Patrol

The NC Transportation Museum in Salsbury, NC has a 1978 Plymouth as part of their collection. It runs and drives and the siren works just fine as they do take it out and drive it around the museum grounds on special events. They also have an original 1935 Ford roadster State Highway Patrol car in great shape. You could get your colors off these cars. Great museum as well. NC Transportation Museum - Bumper to Bumper/Flue Shop
That would help with a highway patrol car for sure, Im not fussy though, I would settle for something like a local police department even. I find it strange that pictures of cars of this era are so thin on the ground.

Keep in mind that people did not have the instant capabilities or ease of taking pics with their cell phones back then. Film cost money and so did developing it. So picture taking was selective and why would I want to take a picture of a cop car? Right?

If I wanted to get some pics, I would start by going down to my local police station/sheriff's dept./highway patrol station and explain your interest. They may be able to provide some pics OR get you in touch with someone who could, or even a retired officer who might have pics of himself with the cars back then. Next might be the local library or historical society as they can do some research for you or steer you in a direction that might help to include archival film footage of bigger events in the local NC area that would have used policing, ie riots or demonstrations. Perhaps the Highway Patrol Training School might have an archives department that can provide photos and the NC state archives might work as well to include their digital collections.

So you have plenty of avenues to visit, search, email, write, or call if you are really serious.

Back