1973 Plymouth Fury Wagon

Member's Projects & Restorations

1. Chandler

Chandler New Member

That wagon looks great & diggin the paint too.

Our winter has been a dry one and we don't have salted roads, so I've been taking her out only after long stints of the roads being dry and have been very prudent in keeping her clean & dry anywhere mud/grime can accumulate.

I've just relocated to CA for work so she's going to becoming a CA shortly.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chandler

Chandler New Member

So, the Wagon has been in SoCal for a couple of months now.

Since she's been here she's been driven a good amount—stil less than I'd like to, thought— & had a fair amount of work done.

The steering box has been replaced a total of 3 times now; the original leaked heavily, so it was replaced with a Reman'd box which was so messed up it only provided power assist in one direction. The second reman was bench tested before installation to ensure proper pressure, but once in the car ended up having so much on-center play the Wagon was questionable to drive above 40mph. For the 3rd (and hopefully last replacement box for a long time) I went to an aftermarket box that firmed up the steering feel & effort. Obviously, in hindsight, I could've saved myself a lot of time to have simply had the original box serviced. On the plus side, though, I've become very efficient at pulling the steering box and not dinging the headers in the process.

The OE starter gave up the ghost, so that got replaced with a Powermaster high torque mini starter, which for being "mini" required me to go through the hassle of pulling the driver-side header to dimple it for clearance, as the ear on the solenoid case turned out to be ever so slightly too wide. With its improved cranking speed, the wagon fires up much quicker and smoother, though—before the EFI would stumble before catching itself due to the slow cranking.

Other work has been reconditioning the paint and installing new UCA's.

For reconditioning the paint following the steps outlined in the following forum: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints.
    I'm pretty happy with how the paint looks

7CC96F9D-E140-42E0-BBDC-F06220E6B5FF.jpeg

D2775072-B4AC-4C34-A057-BB3E52332DEB.jpeg

B75B99F6-6643-463C-B1EB-FC357D798D7D.jpeg

6FC406A2-CB58-45F2-9DDC-C86F9AF7A95F.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  3. crazyboutwagons

crazyboutwagons Well-Known Member FCBO Gold Member

Great looking wagon. Brings back memories of high school my dad had a 73 Custom Suburban exactly like yours that i drove every chance i could get. I would get up early to take him to work so i could drive it to school there were a couple of us in school who drove wagons. Ours had a 400 cu in had lots of torque would smoke the tires.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 71Polara383

71Polara383 Kid with ballcap

Thanks for the update. :steering::thankyou:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. saforwardlook

saforwardlook Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

We certainly have some younger guys on this forum now that are all going down much the same path with C body wagons as a focal point, improved power train performance and all very capable and willing to learn and take risks along the way and work out the issues they face successfully.

Besides you, Chandler, there are Wyatt (@71Polara383 ), @crazyboutwagons, @MonacoBlue and @T-revorNobody to name some of the ones that I can think of readily at least. Very encouraging to see all of your efforts collectively and encouraging to all of us.

It appears that 3 of us live in California now among others on this site.

Keep up the inspiring work!

I am at the other end of the spectrum at almost 75 now but still enjoying much the same kind of work you guys are doing.

Here is my latest C body wagon in the finishing stages with the goal being to achieve a really nice original driver quality vehicle. It now drives and looks very much like new but mine is mostly original with its original patina, including paint and woodgrain. I did refresh the engine with new head gaskets, freeze plugs and pretty much everything else that needed attention but did not rebuild the engine since it didn't need it and I rebuilt the Torqueflite plus all new brakes, removed the front stub-frame to sand blast it and refinish it in por-15 and rebuilt the entire front suspension, a rebuilt original radiator with a new 3 row high efficiency core and so much more to make it perform and drive like new again. I love this wagon! It has the three rows of seats, rear a/c, and a lot of other options plus a conversion headliner now made of cloth instead of the original perforated cardboard and is a copy of the headliner used in the 72 and up C body wagons (thanks to our own @Murray for his help with a couple of the conversion parts he provided to me do that task). Mine has its original 440 engine and dual exhaust system with dual snorkel air cleaner and original interior otherwise with 41K miles on it. It has an nos roof rack now and all of the grille assembly is also nos among many other nos parts. It has been a labor of love.

100_3397.JPG

100_3379.JPG

100_3374.JPG

100_3384.JPG

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 2:46 AM
    • Like Like x 8
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1