NOT MINE 1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol eBay BIN

68PK21 440.6bbl

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Haven't seen this one before

1974 Plymouth Fury 440 Retired North Carolina Highway Patrol Unit. This is a TOTAL RESTORATION PROJECT it has been parked since 1992! I have a clear NC title in my name for this car. It does not run and I have made no attempt to start it. The fact that this car still exists is a miracle, most of these were used in demo derby or turned into taxi cabs. This is a car for an experienced mechanic and bodyman your not just going to blow up the tires pop in a battery and drive it home. I hosed off the dirt from sitting so you can get a better look at the car. It has rust in the roof from where the rotating light was (see the last photo for what these cars looked like in service) The floors have some rust but the frame rails look good from what I can see on the ground without it being on a lift. The doors are stuck from sitting they need to be sprayed with oil and left to sit. I have a good set of keys for it. It needs a complete restoration but due to its past it is a worthy candidate. These are all the photos I have. It is priced to sell so don't snooze. $500 deposit due immediately balance due within 72 hours by cash in person or bank to bank wire transfer NO CHECKS OF ANY KIND WILL BE ACCEPTED. Sold as is car must be picked up within 2 weeks of purchase.

1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.000c.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.001.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.002.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.003.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.004.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.005.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.006.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.007.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.008.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.009.jpg

More pics in post #2

1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.010.jpg
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.011.jpg

Ah should I post this historical photo... eh why not but with a disclaimer that this photo has no connection(?) with the car for sale.
1974 Plymouth Fury Police 440 North Carolina Highway Patrol.012.jpg

This thread may revive some memories, posted by new member @race city retro, from Mooresville, NC.

The price of $3,500 hasn't changed since then.
Thanks, (note to self: search the for sale by owner section)

I don't think it's un-restorable, but you need to checkout the underside, looks like it may have been sitting on the ground for quite awhile.

I am NOT very positive about the seller: had short contact with him when the car was first offered here, though I was a motivated buyer, he was definately NOT supportive to answer very simple and basic questions and supply the few pictures I asked for.

After his 2nd and last email I ceased contact until ebay-ad showed up and told him I even would have relieved him of both cars...but if he does not want, not my problem...got already enough projects msyself.

Behaviour of the seller surprised me even more, as he is obviously running a professional business...if he is so friendly/supportive to all his customers, he wont get far.

When I read now in the ebay-ad the (new) information that the doors are rusted shut, one must be afraid that the car collapses in the middle if one would finally manage to get the doors to open.

This said, rust seems to be a severe problem as the car seems to have sat a long time with its belly on the mud...not even sure if it rolls at least...but as he does not mention it does, I assume by 99,9% it does not roll ;-)

Last edited:
@severe rust:

- ever seen such a rusted shifter-lever?
- ever seen a rusted-off aircleaner-snorkel?

Also seems to been hit on the passenger side’s rear-corner ...just look at the gap of the trunklid and how high the tail-light-extention sits.

That he washed/hosed before he took the ebay-photos definately helped to see more of all the rust/dents, especicially at the lower door area and window-frames.

Man, too bad the seller himself feels like the most pain in my guts rather than the cars condition...always suspicious if someone joins a forum just to offer sth. for sale.

Car checked quite some boxes for me, as I am more a Plymouth guy, like black cars, have a weak spot for cop-cars and most of all...have this strange tendency to buy what other people would call basketcases or wrecks.

But at least, this would have been a quite complete car...unlike my 69 Fury Pursuit.

Oh, and that he hosed down this 74 for the ebay-photos not only brought more of the live-pro-longing magic fluid onto and into the car, that we classic-car-guys love sooo much (water), but also was worth a $250 increase in price to $3,750 compared to the $3,500 it had been advertised for here. EDIT: was initially $3,750 @ebay, but has been lowered to $3,500.

As for the auction: did time out without a buyer...not even me ;-)

@pics: anybody else since recently having the problem that pics are not visible anymore? If you have the same problem - or even better - a solution, please chime in here: http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/posts/1142635/

Last edited:
Back