1974 RH "remote" outside mirror

PeugFra

Reaction score
This is a repeat from the "Passenger mirror?" thread, where this post somehow got drowned in a discussion of another type. Maybe somebody recognizes this:

My RH outside mirror puzzles me as well. It sits on a 1974 Plymouth Fury III:

PH41K4F122500-RH-mirror.JPG

No mention of it on the fender tag, so it must be an add-on, possibly dealer-installed. It is the exact mirror image of the LH outside mirror, with a remote-control handle on the inside of the door (and not under the dashboard).

I can't find any mention of this exact set-up in the Mopar accessories catalogue. Any thoughts?

(In the mirror you can see a 12-cylinder BMW 750i model E32 that was almost mine. But my wife liked the Fury better, because of the BMW's dull body color.)

Last edited:
Based on the following, yours is an afterthought.

According to the Plymouth Dealer Data Book as shown on the Hamtramck Historical website, the Fury's optional RH mirror indeed had the joystick on the dash. The "OBJECTS IN MIRROR..." text gives it away as a convex mirror, which was introduced sometime around 1980.

Is that mirror "tilted" like it appears in the photo? It also looks a bit more rounded/less trapezoidal than the standard mirror. I ask because I've thought about getting one from an Eighties' Diplomat/M-Body so I could have a convex, but suspect that it wouldn't fit right.

...(In the mirror you can see a 12-cylinder BMW 750i model E32 that was almost mine. But my wife liked the Fury better, because of the BMW's dull body color.)
:thumbsup:
My mother's reaction to most BMWs, Benzes, etc. (especially from behind the wheel of her '67 Newport) would translate to "meh" in millennial American English. The neighbors' moth-gray-metallic Lexus was even worse!

:thumbsup:
My mother's reaction to most BMWs, Benzes, etc. (especially from behind the wheel of her '67 Newport) would translate to "meh" in millennial American English. The neighbors' moth-gray-metallic Lexus was even worse!

Your mom still daily driving a '67 Newport deserves it's own post if you haven't done it already.

Jeff

Your mom still daily driving a '67 Newport deserves it's own post if you haven't done it already.

Jeff
You're right. Dad got the car (Arctic Blue 2-dr) for her in 1970 and Mum drove it over the next 25-30 years before giving up driving. Her only real objection was the blind spot at the C-pillar; the OP's mirror would have been much appreciated. She passed away in August '05 at the age of 80. Nonetheless, it would be worthwhile to put up a dedicated thread on it.

I wonder if that right side remote mirror is from a RHD car? Possible down under in Oz?

I would mention that a RH reproduction mirror(1969) is available, I just purchased one

I haven't got access to the car right now, because of mid-August vacation, but to see the mirror from the outside there is some documentation from the time the car lived in Canada:

1974FuryIII-Brampton.png

And a YouTube presentation shows the left-hand mirror at 0:12 seconds and the right-hand at 0:54 seconds.

Looks like your RT mirror is for some other Chrysler product. The correct mirror has a slightly longer base.

c_oc=AQlZehX-b0gzrrv8_QakMYAWGoefhfIwnVJfjibhELh832rqChYDexWxIh-ZZz23DsM&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.jpg

I grabbed a mirror of a mid 80s M-body at the boneyard last summer. I got it because I thought it might fit my Newport. It has the remote cable/joystick, but the cable is much longer than yours appears and would need to be mounted in the dash. That's where I would've wanted it anyway. The fly in the ointment is the pedestal. It is different from the one on my Newport, so even if it does mount/sit correctly, it would still be a mismatch to the drivers mirror. If I could find and mount the mirror head on the right pedestal I think it could work. May have to drill a hole through the pedestal for the cable, if I did it that way .:confused:

I grabbed a mirror of a mid 80s M-body at the boneyard last summer. I got it because I thought it might fit my Newport. It has the remote cable/joystick, but the cable is much longer than yours appears and would need to be mounted in the dash. That's where I would've wanted it anyway. The fly in the ointment is the pedestal. It is different from the one on my Newport, so even if it does mount/sit correctly, it would still be a mismatch to the drivers mirror. If I could find and mount the mirror head on the right pedestal I think it could work. May have to drill a hole through the pedestal for the cable, if I did it that way .:confused:
Does the glass match (size and shape?) I've thought about getting a replacement M-body convex glass and mounting it on my mirror; not sure how well it would work.

I haven't actually measured anything, but just by looking at it, the mirror head and the glass appear to be the same, a match for the driver's one on my '71. From what I can tell, just the base, where it attaches to the door, is longer.

Are the attachment points different among the various types of outside mirrors? I mean the diameter of the holes to be bored and their position.

Back