1975 Gran Fury

King Hooter

Reaction score
I got bit by the C-Body bug a couple of years ago. But I always seem to find to many faults when it comes to actually looking at one. I began to think the days of a cheep running driver is long gone.
I recently came in contact with an owner with a 75 Plymouth Gran Fury. The ad states rust issues underneath,and I don't know if its in the floors or body. Other than the trunk and passenger compartment are there any other areas I should be concerned with?
plymouthgf.jpg

Minor lower body or floor rust is repairable. Check closely the underside of the car. If the frame rails or front stub frame is rusted, run, do not walk away. Check the front stub where it bolts to the body, check the front frame rails, check the cross member. Those are structural areas if they are seriously rusted the car is probably junk. Check the trunk floor and the rear frame rails. Especially check the rear window channel as there cars were prone to rusting there. Once a car has significant rust due to salt exposure, it is very difficult to get that under control, fix one area and it will rust out someplace else. From the photo, this car does not look to be badly rusted, but you will not know until you have a good look at the underside.

Dave

Everything Dave A said is correct. The other thing to check is right behind the front wheel wells. It can get pretty crunchy there and sometimes not the easiest to notice.

I really enjoy my 74 Fury III.

Forget all of the above until you have to the mandatory FIRST check to see if the HVAC is manual or ATC II.
If it's ATC II, save yourself from crawling around underneath and just go home.

Forget all of the above until you have to the mandatory FIRST check to see if the HVAC is manual or ATC II.
If it's ATC II, save yourself from crawling around underneath and just go home.

Good point if he cares about AC, but he’s in Minnesota so it may not matter. Most of my cars were sans AC when I lived there.

IF the rust-prone areas check out alright, boy, do you have a nice Gran Fury there! White-over-Starlight Blue, the last year of the 4-door hardtops, the 1975-only grille, it's got it all! But I guess you know the pros already.

Be sure to make a pic of the fender tag, please!

Thanks for the additional input. I questioned about being stored over a dirt floor. I guess I never thought of checking under the front end. The few I've came across around near his price point had Swiss cheese behind the rear wheels. Ok now I will check for ATC II and working windshield wipers.
Trying to figure out when I can take the 3 hour trip to sneak a peak. In Minnesota we can travel but they are frowning on us southerners driving up north.

Just talked to the owner and the car itself is very clean and low mileage. But I passed on this one because it sounds like the sub frame is where the rust issues are. Went to school for auto body, but I know my limits, I don't have the time, talent or money to fix that. He states that it would be a really nice parts car or could possibly be fixed.
Damn!:BangHead:

Oh and did I forget to mention I think he said something about a hole in the gas tank.
My mind stared to wondering late last night. I'm better off waiting for another 74/75 Plymouth or Dodge to surface. I don't really need that $2500 paper weight at this moment.
What I'm looking for a driver, like my 81 Imperial. Something I can drive work and not worry about it sitting at 1 am. Yet I can still get some respect with the big boys at the cruise-ins.

I bought this car. The rust wasn't' that bad. It's actually a really sound car. I put in a new gas tank and lines.

115439082_592932128078821_2882864873649005224_n.jpg

115848681_3454682827927956_8499077311943611407_n.jpg

109532150_707306173440771_2766342325045384558_n.jpg

Glad to hear someone got the car that will enjoy it. I was hoping to go look at it but I never found the time to go the 2 hours north to see it.

Congrats! Does it have the 360 or the 400-cid engine? A couple of years ago I had the chance to buy a 1975 Gran Fury Brougham 4-door from France. But the owner had had the Starlight Blue oversprayed with white and added red accents to the wheel dishes and headlight bezels. Really racey but not very original.

If you can manage, a fender tag pic would be much appreciated!

A car from the 1975 sales bank pile-up (Y16)!

It's interesting to see which options were installed on a car for a generic buyer: Light Package (L25, L31, L81), Manual A/C (H51) and Automatic Speed Control (N88). Exactly the same options as my dealer rental 1974 Fury III has, that was sold off to a private customer after six months or so. A rental car is likewise built with a generic buyer in mind, because that is the way rental fleets are managed.

So this choice of options could have been some kind of hidden standard.

Back