1975 Imperial master cylinder

QMopar

Reaction score
Looks like I need a master cylinder. Cardone lists one (101575) but it's not available and pretty much everywhere else I looked says the same thing. Anyone have a lead or idea on where I can get a master cylinder?

Thanks,

~Q

Adam Q. Frase

Your master cylinder can be rebuilt by a reputable shop. I have had rare ones done before and had them put a stainless steel sleeve in for long lasting performance.

Looks like I need a master cylinder. Cardone lists one (101575) but it's not available and pretty much everywhere else I looked says the same thing. Anyone have a lead or idea on where I can get a master cylinder?

Thanks,

~Q

Adam Q. Frase

Are you sure they're not available? I browsed online and found about 25 sources in no time at all. Imperial masters weren't particular to Imperials only, other upscale models used the same ones.

Are you sure they're not available? I browsed online and found about 25 sources in no time at all. Imperial masters weren't particular to Imperials only, other upscale models used the same ones.
Incorrect. The 74-75 Imperial master cylinder is unique to the Imperial. It has a 50-50 reservoir for the 4 wheel discs unlike the two thirds/ one third master on disc drum cars.
You can tell at a glance...the bumps on the cover are equal on the Imperial master and one third/ two third on the others.
The links above are for incorrect masters...rebuild with stainless.

Is the Cardone one incorrect too? The Advance Auto one shares the same part number.
I clicked on both links and both are wrong. I seriously doubt Cardone has Imperial masters. More likely they assume the non-disc master works on all Mopars. But Imperials are Imperials...just that much different.

Thanks,

~Q

Adam Q. Frase

Follow Mr C's advice... and if you don't... please sell me the core so I can have it rebuilt. I would like a correct spare.
Is the Cardone one incorrect too? The Advance Auto one shares the same part number.
So far, I have gone to have the parts stores pull one off the shelf when I find one that lists one... they have all been the disc/drum master cylinder... even one hopeful that was only listed for the Imperial and not the NYB. :BangHead:
I clicked on both links and both are wrong. I seriously doubt Cardone has Imperial masters. More likely they assume the non-disc master works on all Mopars. But Imperials are Imperials...just that much different.
Thank you, the voice of experience... :thumbsup:

I deleted both the posts with links to be sure not to cause any more confusion.

It really bothers me that those are being sold and aren't correct. I'm finding more and more of this...

Here are 2 pics first is the Imperial, second is a New Yorker. Note the bumps on the covers as I said.

113681_a94985611e_low_res.JPG
motorcade-engine.jpg

I deleted both the posts with links to be sure not to cause any more confusion.

It really bothers me that those are being sold and aren't correct. I'm finding more and more of this...
Pisses me off too...

I haven't researched it, but I suspect the piston diameters are correct... I suppose the corporate lawyers have decided it won't be their fault when you run the rear circuit out of fluid.

I think the biggest problem in the parts industry today is most of the people in in now were not even a "Gleam in their fathers eyes" when our cars were made. They don't know, and don't take the time to do the research.

I spent hours online and on the phone trying to find one and came up empty. I know I saw one 3 years ago but nothing now. Shifting from replacing to rebuilding and trying to now find a reputable rebuilder. If I can't find one locally, any suggestions?

And DO NOT trust the auction on eBay from Auoplicity - Dorman M36317 Master Cylinder | eBay

That is a GM MC - ask me how I know :-(

~Q
I bet because you bought it, and then after finding out it would not work, went thru hell to return it and lost money out of your pocket, for his stupid mistake. We have ALL bought something online and had this happen.

After searching for about 2 hours, I found the auction on eBay. Called Autoplicity to confirm this brand new MC would work on the Imperial. She assured me it would because, "that's what the computer says." So I ordered it while I was live chatting with Dorman who confirmed my concern that it fits a GM and not an Imperial. Called them back and got the same person. She said that she would have to wait until tomorrow (today) to cancel the order because they are now closed. Also pleaded with them to remove the auction or correctly identify what it fits so as to not give hope to some poor sap (read: me) who thinks they finally found one.

Frustrating...but that's fun of owning one. #Overcoming

Your master cylinder can be rebuilt by a reputable shop. I have had rare ones done before and had them put a stainless steel sleeve in for long lasting performance.

Any advice for a reputable rebuilder if I can't find one locally? (so far no one close to me does this kind of thing). Thanks

Ok, my last resort for a Cardone didn't pan out. I searched online for rebuilders and found a place in Canada that has been doing this for 70 years. Remanufactured Automotive Parts | Rebuilt | Ontario | John Stuart Power Brake Co. Ltd Called them and they had one already sleeved on the shelf on sale for $175. It's on the way. Yes, I may have been able to get it done cheaper but so far no one does that kind of thing locally anymore. JSPB charges $175 for the rebuild and it jumps to $275 if it needs sleeved. I'd like to think I got a deal (even if I didn't, humor me). Thanks all for your help and comments.

Back