Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
This is not my car... yet.

Background. Driving down the Interstate. Happened to look to my left. I knew instantly what it was, took note of location. Came back the next day (today) and looked it over.

I cannot tell where this car is. I called the owner of the business. Left name and number, and $1,000 check. We'll talk Monday.

1975 Gran Fury Brougham, one-owner since new, well-optioned, M-code (400-2V?) original paint, not a blister of rust anywhere, not bondo, some assorted dings, road-rash in FRONT of rear wheel openings, rock chip in windshield. Alleged to have under 70,000 original miles (car was locked and i could only see the last FOUR digits).

So Monday I will own it. If not, I will post where it is and the number and left the next person go for it.

20180623_075000.jpg
20180623_074556.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
20180623_075020.jpg
20180623_075846.jpg
20180623_075858.jpg
20180623_075339.jpg
20180623_075914.jpg
20180624_065202.jpg

Last edited:
That is an awesome looking car. Nothing like that ever comes up around here... I grew up in VERY rural OK. Lots of Mopar owned by my parents friends/family members, but when you had to drive 20 miles to get a loaf of bread, people drove them to death.

I like this Gran Fury, looks to be in great shape with lots of options, A/C power windows and locks, AM/FM stereo, even the road wheels are original to the car. Hope you get it.

Looks really clean, hope you get it!:thumbsup:

to clarify. the car is located at a "dealership". not in the classic sense but more like a "collector's lot" . this place is rural, a salvage yard in back as far as I could tell, and 10-15 "used" cars ('50s caddies, '80-ish Ford Fairmont (yes, a FairMONT), 60s El Camino. etc).

Per the business owner, who was NOT at his business Saturday morning, a local farmer owned this car since it was new, he passed away couple years ago, then his wife recently. Other family members sold the GF to him, and the day I saw it he had only had it two days. He said he washed it and parked it out front, and I was the third guy to asked about.

The mud flaps are all banged up from rock strikes -- they did the sacrificial job they were supposed to do. The wheel well rear "flares", down by the rockers, are both dinged .. pinhead-sized impact marks from stuff churned up by front wheels on rural roads. Driver side front wheel well molding is creased to point it needs replacement.

Otherwise? This GF seriously looks like its only about 3-4 years old -- no rust, no potmetal pitting, no oxidation, trim rings UN-damaged, center caps pristine, tail light lenses look almost new, vinyl roof virtually factory new looking with NO bubbling underneath anywhere

... and that interior. ALL original, no tears in seats, dash/steering wheel is pristine, brightwork on plastic bezels looks factory new. door pull straps not cracked .. just hope the owner was NOT a smoker (since I am not).

Does NOT have original exhaust. Other than the mud, underside is clean as a whistle, with factory undercoating still intact everywhere ya look.

So what's left to get the deal done?

Assuming somebody didnt show up at the guys house with cash this weekend or something, business owner knows I left a personal check in his mailbox.

I am calling him tomorrow to (1) what works/what doesnt, (2) underhood/in trunk pics, (3) what is mileage and any documentation to support it, (4) agree on price, (5) seek INDOOR storage until I can have it picked up (don't want a fluke hailstorm to bash it up before I can get t outta there), (6) some general closing questions, and, if all's copasetic, then (7) wire him the money.

This car is rather fully priced (well OVER $2,500 :) ) considering what collector car "dealers" like to make on the unsuspecting. I also don't think price is unreasonable tho, even tho i am also sure he isn't gonna let me or anyone else steal it from him. He knows what this car means to the right buyer.

So, if I dont get it, its unlikely to get bought and flipped (unless its a sub-40K mile car or something). There is no arbitrage opportunity (unless someone here/overseas who loved formals was looking) .. not that I care.

But I wont be owning this car for 30 years like some of my other stuff. When PD 4501 rolls into my future, most everything I have left will find new homes about six years from now ..so this one would be in the bunch to be sold.

So, we'll see. Thanks for checking it out and again for the best wishes from the members :)

Last edited:
from the 1975 GF Brochure:

fury1.jpg
fury2.jpg

1976 and 1977 they went with little different look .. so the opera window/full vinyl may have been 75 only (1974 brochure does NOT show any opera window treatments).

fury3.jpg
fury4.jpg

A tiny bit of useless trivia:
The Plymouth opera window vinyl roof treatments were unpadded while the Chrysler opera window roof treatments (aka the St. Regis) were padded.
You want the unpadded.

Last edited:
Wow, That dealer is hitting you hard with the old-school sales tricks! I can't remember exactly how long it's been since I first spotted that car for sale, but it's pretty close to a year now that it's been at that dealer, maybe longer. The car can probably be had for a nice discount off the asking price. I love the car and would be thrilled to see you get it.

Car lot.JPG

BigmoparJeff. you found it .. the old feller is working me. :) I don't fall for that kinda stuff ... unsually.

my urgency is based on I like formals (cop stuff and otherwise), i really like this one and was able to put eyes on it, and I am NOT a local buyer (I am 1,000 miles away, and was just passin' through) so to my knowledge darn thing coulda sold any day.

BUT if he's had it a year or more.. and then is feeding me a line ... well guess he's doin the dealer thing to move iron, but it does give me a reason to pause .. and then be able to ask the RIGHT questions.

if you see my reply this morning, can you PM me and lemme know what the price was when you found it? And, how you found it if you dont mind, since this car is not in Pennsylvania and musta been advertised somewhere?

and thanks for not "outing" the location ... pan a bit to the right and the guy's business name and number is plastered all over the building :)

If you pass on this, please let me know! I've been looking for an identically-equipped Royal Monaco w/o success for 3 years. I like this GF a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back