1976 Gran fury wagon. Want to go from 440 to a 318

76fury

Reaction score
Ok it's been a very long time since I been on here. I went through a nasty divorce by her choice. She had a lawyer and I did not.some how in the end I got full custody of my son and the wagon I'd say I definitely came out on top.anyways moving on to the subject at hand. My son will be 17 next month.he can't stop talking about how he wants to drive the wagon and when it will be his. It has a very strong 440 infact it's too strong for him right now.i have a healthy 318 with tranny that I want to swap out? My question is ,is there a company that makes motor mount adapters or must I look for a k frame or subframe for a smallblock. Any advice at all would be greatfull

I am sure others will chime in, but I believe you will just need engine mounts for the small block.

My son will be 17 next month.he can't stop talking about how he wants to drive the wagon . It has a very strong 440 infact it's too strong for him right now. Any advice at all would be greatfull

Never too "strong".. Allow him to learn to respect his/your equipment... The sooner the better... If he breaks it.. Then let HIM figure out how to fix it....
At some point we need to learn to trust and allow the kids to have their space and enjoy life...
The very first V8 mine drove was a 426 Hemi Satellite.. Then in 2011 he bought a Challenger SRT..

Never too "strong".. Allow him to learn to respect his/your equipment... The sooner the better... If he breaks it.. Then let HIM figure out how to fix it....
At some point we need to learn to trust and allow the kids to have their space and enjoy life...
The very first V8 mine drove was a 426 Hemi Satellite.. Then in 2011 he bought a Challenger SRT..
I was thinking of that but then I remembered making trips across state and search awhile for parts. I drove 600 miles to pick up the back glass to not risk it breaking in shipment.parts for that car are very very slim pickings.ive yet to locate a parts car wagon

I understand the issue of the 440 and such, BUT there's a LOT of things which will NOT directly hook-up other than just the motor mounts. Wiring harnesses, a/c lines, linkages, etc. I'd find a way to disconnect the secondaries on the carb, for example, on the 440. THEN teach him how to drive defensively and send him to a driving school too. Teach him to RESPECT the power at hand rather than withhold it from him, hopefully. Not to mention that HE'll pay for anything that breaks.

Now, certainly he and some of his buddies can probably determine that the secondaries aren't working and try to remedy that. BUT if you remove the linkage, where are they going to find another piece to fix it? Of course, you can check the oil every so often to see if they might have tried.

ONE other thing to consider . . . although the 440 is powerful, almost ANY 4-cyl turbo with a 8-speed automatic will leave it in the dust at a red light. So it's not the fastest thing on the road, by a long shot, from my observations. PLUS, if it was my offspring, I'd rather they be in a heavy car than in a little sedan, but that's just me. Just make sure they wear the seat belts!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

G'Day,
WARNING! Long & Perthaps Boring Rant to Follow.
While I have No Kids of My Own, I understand your Dilemma.
I had 11 Nieces & 4 Nephews, Unfortunately the Young are All Immortal Until Sadly Proven otherwise.
(Most People Consider Themselves Immortal until around 35 Y.O. Then Suddenly the Thought starts occurring to Them that they could get Hurt doing Something Stupid
Usually about Half way Through the Action LOL)
Telling your Nephews Not to Drink & Drive or Your Nieces that if their Boyfriend Drinks at a Party to call ANYTIME, be it 3 A.M., and You will Pick them up doesn't Always Work.
Changing the Motor might help, But you can Still do Silly Things in a 318, Damn, you can do silly things in a Honda Zot.
My Suggestion is to take the Lad along to a Accident Rehab Centre & Let Him see the Results.
When we were Young & Stupid a Friend ended up spending the Rest of his Life in a Wheel Chair. (His Own Fault But that doesn't Ease the Grief or the Pain)
In Recent Years we have seen a Young Fella loose Control while Speeding & Kill Five Children walking on the Foot Path.
When I was 10 y.o. I met an Uncle who had been a Bus Driver.
He stopped at a Bus Stop, an 8 y.o. Girl got off his Bus saw her Father waiting across the Road and ran across in front of the Bus & Straight under a passing car.
Four Lives Ruined in a Single Instant.
The Little Girl Lost her Life.
The Father & the Car Driver I Assume Never Recovered.
My Uncle Never Worked again in his Life.
His Grief was so Profound that for the Rest of his Life his Hands shook uncontrollably.
His Wife had to Roll his Cigarettes, pour his Tea, Half a Cup Only or it would be Spilled, Etc., Etc.,
Sadly you can't put an Old Head on Young Shoulders.
Mostly we try to Educate Them about Life as Best we Can.
An Advanced Driving Course May Help, But Mostly Instilling an Understanding of Life's Consequences may be the Best Answer.
Most of All Prayer.
I Always Think of a Line From an Old Hymn.
"When in the slippery paths of youth
With heedless steps I ran,
Thine arm unseen convey'd me safe,
And led me up to man;"
All the Best
And May the Lord of All Creation
Keep You & Your Loved Ones Safe.
King Regards Tony.M

Factory 318 mounts will work...
Then you will need exhaust..
You will need to figure out radiator hoses..
Trans linkage is an issue..
Mounting PS pump and ALT as well as the A/C components ..

By trying to do this swap you are making a LOT of work for yourself and showing how little faith you have in your own children...

A 76 440, if stock, has less HP than many daily drivers today. Just something to consider.

Let me toss this out there... What if you "detuned" the 440?

Added a 2bbl carb (you'll need an adapter). Maybe a cam change etc. In other words, take some power out of it.

Having had boys that went through teenage years, I get it. Even a underpowered car can get them in some sort of trouble. The stories of my oldest boy and car stories that I heard from other people (when he was older) curl what's left of my hair even now. Most of those stories revolve around a 2 liter Dodge Stratus, so it doesn't matter.

Of course, I heard some stories about my Dad and his Model A (bought brand new) and my oldest brother took out a few phone poles street racing, and then there was me... Lol. It runs in the family.

Factory 318 mounts will work...
Then you will need exhaust..
You will need to figure out radiator hoses..
Trans linkage is an issue..
Mounting PS pump and ALT as well as the A/C components ..

By trying to do this swap you are making a LOT of work for yourself and showing how little faith you have in your own children...

Lol I get where your coming from but he's doing all the work.its so he can learn too about engine swaps. I have all faith in my son but I would be the fool and just let him have a long heavy car that can really get up and go. Then he has to learn how to brake and control a very heavy car.
It would be similar in a way that I have a Beretta arx100 assault rifle .think most parents would just give him that rifle to learn the safety fundamentals and firing it at a target while being safe at all times. Hell no I wouldn't take the chance.thats why his but had a pellet gun that looks and functions similar to that rifle to learn before moving up.

Ok ok truth be known. I have a 87 dodge short step side that I been building for like 20 years that's always been on the back burner.... marriage can do that... especially a toxic one. Lol. Soo it has a 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gears. I have a full tunnel ram set up for a 440 that I been itching to set up. So I have a hidden agenda to put the 440 from the wagon and finally get my truck running.

A 76 440, if stock, has less HP than many daily drivers today. Just something to consider.
Well the car originally had a lean burn 400 that well I hated it.so I found a 440 from a motorhome with low miles in a field.got it for a couple hundred bucks. It's has the thick extra casting web on the side of the block.plus the bigger cooling ports are a bonus. So I just went bigger for better

Yeah I thought of the power to weight ratio also. However most thing I remember when I first started driving I wasn't experienced on checking the fluids or the biggest thing that I had to learn if something either smelled ,sounded,or felt different than normal driving to stop and check it out. I'd much rather replace a 318 cause they are a little more abundant than a 440. They are getting more and more harder to find

Sorry to hear of your woes but it says a lot that you got custody of your son. As for the swap, my opinion is leave it alone and let your son hone his driving skills on a docile car until he gets behind the wheel of the wagon.

When I was 14, I wanted a 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood that was for sale down the road from us. I conned my dad into taking me down there and looking at it, he drove it and it was in really good shape. I was really excited. My dad didn't say much he just asked the owner all the normal questions. Now, I mowed about a dozen yards up down the neighborhood, for a 14 yr old, I had good money saved up something like 2 grand. Which was enough to buy the car. Then when we got home, my dad asked me "How much money do you have in your pocket?" I had like 40 bucks. He said give it to me. I had a rather confused look on my face but gave it to him. Every couple of days he would ask the same question. Every time I gave him varying amounts. After a month he gave all the money back to me and said "count it". It was in the neighborhood of 500 dollars. I asked what was going on, his reply " that's the gas you just fed that car, only gas. You haven't put any tires on it, any belts, a battery, oil change, or broken anything yet. Now, do you want a Cadillac? The answer was still yes, but I bought an 86 Cavalier Z24. My point is, let him drive it the way it is. Whoever is paying for gas, will get tired of it. Whoever is replacing tires, and repairing the broken items which will surely follow will get tired of that too. Not going to lecture parenting, but unleashing a teen in a car you find body panels, much less a replacement seems a bit folly. Think long and hard, pray, you'll make the correct choice either way. If you do let him drive it though, he'll have some really cool stories to tell his kids!!!

When I was 14, I wanted a 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood that was for sale down the road from us. I conned my dad into taking me down there and looking at it, he drove it and it was in really good shape. I was really excited. My dad didn't say much he just asked the owner all the normal questions. Now, I mowed about a dozen yards up down the neighborhood, for a 14 yr old, I had good money saved up something like 2 grand. Which was enough to buy the car. Then when we got home, my dad asked me "How much money do you have in your pocket?" I had like 40 bucks. He said give it to me. I had a rather confused look on my face but gave it to him. Every couple of days he would ask the same question. Every time I gave him varying amounts. After a month he gave all the money back to me and said "count it". It was in the neighborhood of 500 dollars. I asked what was going on, his reply " that's the gas you just fed that car, only gas. You haven't put any tires on it, any belts, a battery, oil change, or broken anything yet. Now, do you want a Cadillac? The answer was still yes, but I bought an 86 Cavalier Z24. My point is, let him drive it the way it is. Whoever is paying for gas, will get tired of it. Whoever is replacing tires, and repairing the broken items which will surely follow will get tired of that too. Not going to lecture parenting, but unleashing a teen in a car you find body panels, much less a replacement seems a bit folly. Think long and hard, pray, you'll make the correct choice either way. If you do let him drive it though, he'll have some really cool stories to tell his kids!!!
You know that's actually some of the best advice I've gotten thud far. You have a very valid reasoning to just keep it the way it is. However I'm still looking for an answer on if they actually make a adapter mounts for the swap

If you want to take out the 440 and put it away for safe keeping then here's an idea I don't think was mentioned: Install a 383 2-bbl or 400 2-bbl. Those engines are much less rare and will be really down on power compared to your 440. But on the plus side, they should bolt right in!! I wouldn't give a teen a rare collectible car as a first car. It's likely to end bad.

Engines don't kill.
Drivers kill people.

A 318 is NOT going to prevent him wrapping himself around a tree.
In fact, his youthful testosterone may make him push an arc with only a 318 beyond it's limits. That car will be woefully underpowered which is a safety issue with me.

So based on your response’s @76fury, you want the 440 for your truck project. Now would be an excellent time for your son’s “shade tree mechanics” lessons.

It would keep the Fury wagon off the road until completion. Your son would have a vested interest and maybe some blood in the engine swap and hopefully respect in his work.

I’m unable to answer your engine mounts question but maybe contacting Schumacher will get you closer.

Cheers to the both of you.

Back