1976 NYB R2 To Sanden Compressor Conversion.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
On the heels of getting the basics from live4theking's thread on his conversion, I decided to jump in and finally do it on my 76 NYB 440 with the 100A alternator and the Federal power steering pump.

I'll be using the Sanden (genuine) 4664 compressor used on big trucks. The compressors you see on ebay are Sanden style compressors. I want to do this only once.
Also the Bouchelon Engineering #4700 bracket kit.

The bracket kit arrived today:
The included installation instructions were minimal and the pics were blurry B&W.
We'll have to mix n match the nuts, bolts, flat washers, lock washers, and spacers. Wish the pics were clearer and the instructions more understandable.
PicsArt_07-13-03.24.49.jpg

NOTE: Bouchelon designed the bracket kit for the Saginaw PS pump and they did not know if it will work with my Federal pump. We'll see. That annoys the **** out of me. They should know that. If the Federal pump is a problem, I'll have downtime while getting a Saginaw pump and correct brackets. :mad:

In addition, Bouchelon also did not know how their bracket would work with my Monster 100A alternator. Going in blind folks. I hate that.
To be cont.

Last edited:
Can't advise you on the brackets, but when doing the R12 - R134 switch on my Diplomat, we also switched to a Sanden compressor, and was a good move. Less of a drain on the engine, and provides great AC, that was 10 years, and it has held up quite well......... good luck.

Commando, I am doing the same thing on my 77 T&C but I have yet to get the bouchillon brackets (I have the Sanden). Will you be re-doing the barrier hoses?

Stan, if I remember correctly the brackets for the 100 amp alternator were add on's to adapt to the RV2 brackets. I would move the compressor out of the way and do a mock up of the new brackets before installing the new Sanden unit.

This might help you. My compressor brackets with a Federal Pump. No problem...

bracket.JPG

Note the additional washer used as a spacer on the rear of the P/S bracket. The welded nut must be a little thicker on a Saginaw bracket.

One thing I forgot to mention in my thread was that I swapped the two bolts I circled out with Socket Button Head cap Screws, any Fastenal should be able to get them for you if they don't stock them. The directions for the bracket warn that the clearance is tight and that you need to pull the bracket away from the pulley. It just means you'll need an Allen wrench for these two.The switch just made me feel a little better about things.
AC Bracket.jpg

This might help you. My compressor brackets with a Federal Pump. No problem...

View attachment 133160
That's good news. Thanks, John.
One issue resolved.

Stuff like this will make installation go smoother. I wont have to keep putting on and taking off hardware a dz. times trying to shim it properly for alignment. ☺️

Last edited:
Yes, all new barrier hoses made up for me at an A/C shop. I will have nothing to do with the making of the hoses.
Which Sanden are you using, Mr C?

Same as what you have...stamped SANDEN on the back.

20158542_1418198801604384_1708242240_n.jpg
20120937_1418198791604385_354361432_n.jpg

FINALLY!
After a week of searching, I finally found a pic of the Sanden used with the 100A alternator.

Shouldn't be a problem at all, then.

7920909-IMG_2201 (1).jpg

Ruh roh... Problem.

Looking at Big John's pic and looking at my setup, my current P. S. bracket will not work with the Bouchelon bracket. :BangHead:

HowTF do I get around this SNAFU? More homework.

PicsArt_07-17-03.52.58.png

It should mount to one of the bolts that hold the extender bracket.
Can you take the picture a little more to the rear to see behind original A/C bracket.
Need to see area above your circle looking a little bit forward.

Back